Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 09:11   #361
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411830567.935876.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	88855

Here's a picture of a Shuttleworth 28. Not many flat panels, most panels have heavy radiuses. He designs and engineers his boats to be light and strong, thus the lack of flat panels.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:22   #362
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Maybe Shuttleworth doesn't want to give all the information until you pay for the plans. Sounds more than reasonable to me.


Not to me. How do you know the plans are worth paying for if they won't tell you anything about the final product until after you've paid for them? As previously stated, you can't build a boat off a laminate schedule, and no one expects any builder to post lines drawings or tables of offsets. You have only the designers and builders reputation left to go on, which leaves them holding all the cards.
__________________

__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:35   #363
Senior Cruiser
 
DoubleWhisky's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home at Warsaw, Poland, boat in Eastern Med
Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Posts: 1,841
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

I think this discussion leave one important factor outside...

This is the use of internal, load carrying liners, widespreading now thorough the industry like the forest fire.

In the beaching situation one is left with very thin outer skin of the hull, and really every grounding can damage the integrity of the construction. Worse still, such a damage can be undetectable or very difficult to detect even by most studious survey.

This kind of construction is around not for a long time, if we are talking about full liners, so it is possible we are still waiting how such a builts will withstand a time...

Cheers,

Tomasz
__________________
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:37   #364
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Not to me. How do you know the plans are worth paying for if they won't tell you anything about the final product until after you've paid for them? As previously stated, you can't build a boat off a laminate schedule, and no one expects any builder to post lines drawings or tables of offsets. You have only the designers and builders reputation left to go on, which leaves them holding all the cards.

Someone would have to take a leap of faith, and my guess is that would be the one buying the plans. I'm sure Shuttleworth, like most designers also has a set of study plans he would sell.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:44   #365
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
I think this discussion leave one important factor outside...

This is the use of internal, load carrying liners, widespreading now thorough the industry like the forest fire.

In the beaching situation one is left with very thin outer skin of the hull, and really every grounding can damage the integrity of the construction. Worse still, such a damage can be undetectable or very difficult to detect even by most studious survey.

This kind of construction is around not for a long time, if we are talking about full liners, so it is possible we are still waiting how such a builts will withstand a time...

Cheers,

Tomasz



Very much agree with that! Don't even get me started on hull liners....
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:49   #366
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,135
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Very much agree with that! Don't even get me started on hull liners....
Whats that you said.. Hull liners?
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:54   #367
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Whats that you said.. Hull liners?



Yeah, you know, the combination of lighter hull construction with something that prevents you from accessing that construction when it fails? Genius, ain't it!



I'd never even consider owning a boat I can't access the entire interior hull of. The only excuse area is behind tankage, IMHO.



Anyone who believes the line that they are using hull liners in the buyers interest, to build a lighter, stronger boat, might as well get "sucker" tattooed on their forehead. Popping an entire interior in in one piece is just too tempting for builders, it saves them a fortune. Think they pass that savings on? Sucker!
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:55   #368
Senior Cruiser
 
DoubleWhisky's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home at Warsaw, Poland, boat in Eastern Med
Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Posts: 1,841
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Whats that you said.. Hull liners?

Yes, dear Weavis. Hull liners. Exactly. Pure invention

So I clarified it for You and can for a moment...
__________________
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 09:57   #369
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,135
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Yes, dear Weavis. Hull liners. Exactly. Pure invention

So I clarified it for You and can for a moment...
oh.. THOSE hull liners that we dont want Minaret to get going on .........
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 10:00   #370
Senior Cruiser
 
DoubleWhisky's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home at Warsaw, Poland, boat in Eastern Med
Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Posts: 1,841
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yeah, you know, the combination of lighter hull construction with something that prevents you from accessing that construction when it fails? Genius, ain't it!
And something carrying most loads, but You can tell if it is still fixed, or is not fixed any more to the hull itself...
You know what, Weavis? Some started to built a bulkheads as a part of the liners...
__________________
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 10:03   #371
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,135
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
And something carrying most loads, but You can tell if it is still fixed, or is not fixed any more to the hull itself...
You know what, Weavis? Some started to built a bulkheads as a part of the liners...
Well that is just plain dumb.......
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 10:07   #372
Senior Cruiser
 
DoubleWhisky's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home at Warsaw, Poland, boat in Eastern Med
Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Posts: 1,841
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Well that is just plain dumb.......

They actually call it "progress in the industry".
I think they may be invetend the thing just to drive Minaret (and me) crazy. But the price is definitely not reasonable
__________________
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 10:15   #373
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
At least you'd know exactly what went into it.
Yep, but you itch a lot. You at least have the satisfaction of proving the naysayers wrong.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 19:22   #374
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 506
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Really?



Example - Should a boat be cored below the waterline? There are strong opinions within this forum. However some within the no camp sprout rubbish that you cannot beach a cored catamaran or indeed one without mini keels. Someone should tell 44C before he does it again. There is nothing better than researching a new boat!
Yes ,research is a good thing. Mr oram designed the 44c to have a plywood bottom glued over the cored bottom panel to allow for beaching loads. Along with the 44c s' flat bottom which adds surface area in contact with the "sand " hopefully, the grounding loads are spread over more surface area. Not sure how much glass is over the plywood to reduce damage from those nasty little coral bits mixed up in the sand though.

Regards.
__________________
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 19:52   #375
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Yes ,research is a good thing. Mr oram designed the 44c to have a plywood bottom glued over the cored bottom panel to allow for beaching loads. Along with the 44c s' flat bottom which adds surface area in contact with the "sand " hopefully, the grounding loads are spread over more surface area. Not sure how much glass is over the plywood to reduce damage from those nasty little coral bits mixed up in the sand though.

Regards.
Yeah, my boat's been smashed up by those bits of coral thousands of times. Probably millions. Gazillions even.
__________________

__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lagoon, Seawind, Thailand

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: Cross gulf of Thailand, Cambodia - thailand Mrkymo Crew Archives 0 08-05-2012 03:26
Difficult Entry Lagoon Marina - Phuket, Thailand bgrimwade Indian Ocean & Red Sea 17 19-03-2010 17:29
Planning Assistance Needed for Thailand - Indonesia - Thailand Trip raya Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 5 10-02-2010 18:48
Caught the guy who smashed into our boat and fled rebel heart Dollars & Cents 13 11-04-2008 17:52
30 Boats Smashed Jacana Cruising News & Events 8 17-02-2008 03:59



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.