Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 09:18   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
Lagoon 420 info please

Hi y'all
So the admiral and I are T minus 3 to 6 months from purchase of our cat. On our short list are these boats.

Lagoon 400, 410, and the 44

I had not really considered the 420 but after looking around a bit a few are falling into our price range of 350k max. I was just curious about likes dislikes etc. How the nacelle arrangement works out. I like having the front cross beam. We really wanted separate shower stalls and this boat has it without having to find an owners version. Also with the owner version what is done with the space the berth took up, storage I expect.

Anyway thanks for looking and we look forward to your replies.

Will
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Re: Lagoon 420 info please

Sent you a PM.
Sid at SailAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 14:02   #3

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Hi y'all
So the admiral and I are T minus 3 to 6 months from purchase of our cat. On our short list are these boats.

I had not really considered the 420 but after looking around a bit a few are falling into our price range of 350k max. I was just curious about likes dislikes etc. How the nacelle arrangement works out. I like having the front cross beam. We really wanted separate shower stalls and this boat has it without having to find an owners version. Also with the owner version what is done with the space the berth took up, storage I expect.

Will
The extra space is used for a lounging couch, workdesk, and an extra large head with full standing shower.

There is a difference between the 420's and 421's, you should be aware of this when looking/speaking with brokers.

The 420's were originally release with an experimental hybrid-electric engine system. However, many or most have been convered to dual diesel. On those boats, the original generator remains (which was designed to provide primary propulsion), which is heavily overpowered and I have heard kind of loud compared to other generators.

The 421's have an updated hull design, which affects it's weight and performance compared to the 420.

420's are older, 421's are newer. Likely in 1 year you'll see more 421's in this range.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 14:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Lagoon 420's have great layouts. I love the salon and the cockpit.

I have done numerous seatrials on them for different brokers in town. The only complaint that I have about the boat is the sailing performance. They are just slow boats...
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 14:19   #5

My search for a Cat has concluded (pending survey and sea trial) with the purchase of a Lagoon 420. My wife (and I) loved the roominess and openness of the layout. I realize we are not going to fly with the fastest, but we'll compromise speed for comfort since we'll probably be living on this boat for 10-15 years. We've chartered the Leopard 44 and much prefer the layout of the Lagoon 420. Good luck with your search!
“So, if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written…But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.”
Blc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 16:22   #6

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Hi y'all

Will
One more thing, the 420 gives marginal helm visibility to the edges compared to the 410, which has a rounded off roof. This also creates a roomier saloon.

420/421 is my favorite - the 44 is too large for my taste, and I don't like the upstairs helm. The 420 edges out the 410 in terms of comfort and space. However, it may underperform the 410 a little bit. The 421 supposedly has performance improvements. I have not seen a 421 in person, so I don't know what other changes it has.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon