Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-03-2016, 10:32   #76

Boat: Lagoon 42#17
Re: Lagoon 42

Just managed to jump queues ..... thank you Javier of Cats Barcelona you are brilliant once again. Just signed for Lagoon 42 #17 ... to launch in July. Was keen on Bavaria Open 46 fly but its layout wasn't really intelligent and it's a bit too big. Will let y'all know how it goes ... and she'll be at Barcelona boat show.

Old 29-03-2016, 16:09   #77
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Congratulations. Big hi to Javier from us!

Old 29-03-2016, 17:27   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaker View Post
Just managed to jump queues ..... thank you Javier of Cats Barcelona you are brilliant once again. Just signed for Lagoon 42 #17 ... to launch in July. Was keen on Bavaria Open 46 fly but its layout wasn't really intelligent and it's a bit too big. Will let y'all know how it goes ... and she'll be at Barcelona boat show.

That's awesome! Sounds like you jumped about a year ahead 👍

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-03-2016, 03:17   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaker View Post
Was keen on Bavaria Open 46 fly but its layout wasn't really intelligent and it's a bit too big. Will let y'all know how it goes ... and she'll be at Barcelona boat show.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but we're also looking at the Bavaria Nautitech 46 and Lagoon 450...what specifically didn't you like about the layout? I know the 40 is a bit small on the inside, but I would guess the 46 has more reasonable interior space?
Old 30-03-2016, 15:13   #80

https://vimeo.com/160850432
Old 30-03-2016, 15:24   #81

Hiya Jimba, no problem on comparing. I was quite keen on the Bavaria Fly 46 but 1) very small production line so looong wait 2) hulls are quite narrow 3) the layout is not that clever - only half the saloon is for seating so bit cramped for its length, not cozy, other half is kitchen you are sitting next to 4) sail area shows performance will not be as exciting as the open 40 - which is huge fun but way too small saloon and those ~@&%!! wheels at the back that make you a) stand up all the time instead of relax b) give you the feeling you are a horse with eyecaps on and give you tunnel vision. Lagoon has a very practical layout, and having had boats all my life and lived on many for many summers and winters, I know what I want and what works in practice and Lagoon ... just has that. I am going to change those harsh white LED lights for warm yellow (watch beginning of video - and I know it from the 450 which I sailed lots too - it is too harsh and white and not cozy). 46 is also getting a bit too big too moor easily ..

Lagoon 42 for me is: practical all purpose interior, better seating than the Lagoon 450 (inside sofa long end of L is too narrow to sit on, most annoying, lets whole boat down); having my other new Lagoon 380 a few years ago - the build quality is very good, I did not have a single issue in 3,000 nm in the first three months I had it;

Incredible comfort - no back pain in sight anywhere; no "living in tents".

Solid relaxed sailing performance (but to be seen on 42, I will let y'all know) and a safe boat indeed, if not spectacular performing compared to extreme monohulls but it sure is fun speeding past a mono at 11 knots :-))

And a competitive price that blows the competition away for the volume; plus all of this makes it hold its value very well indeed - as more and more people don't want to have the outdated monohull design and live in the basement but look around and be comfortable at anchor as well as under sail; and with Lagoon you will know what you get.

Bavaria 46 is priced well and should hold value well. If bavaria redo the wheels on Open 40 and rejig the interior they will have an utter best seller. 46 needs interior rejig. Whole factory needs to triple production. Bavaria you are welcome to give me a call I will come consulting will be a fun project to do :-)
Old 31-03-2016, 22:16   #82

Brainmaker, thanks for your comment I appreciate them. Will try to visit the Nautitech 46 at the next Cannes show.
Old 14-09-2016, 12:07   #83

great boat !! super spacious .... very ergonomical, joy to be on.
Old 14-09-2016, 12:50   #84

Boat: Soon to be a Cat

Hi Brainmaker,

Congrats on the new 42! How has the storage and water tank issues worked out for you? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on everything now that you had a chance to live with it for a while.

Thanks
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 14:13   #85

Boat: Lagoon 421(2010) & L450(2013)

Hi Brainmaker
Congratulations mate and thank you for sharing the video.

Loved the comment "Rooster tails above 12 knots out the back"
Old 15-09-2016, 09:43   #86

Hi all thanks for the friendly comments. I am over the moon with the 42, many small innovations on the 450/"three numbers" range - less sharp corners, a great sunlounger for reading under the bimini out of the shade, nice amounts of space in cockpit/saloon, you are never in each others way/pushing past. Really nice is the wheel station too - two people can sit and another two can stand behind you, plus of course you are in touch with people in the cockpit. Main electric winch is good for everything including hoisting dinghy, good not to have several big heavy winches fitted.

The saloon is IDEAL for fitting a 50 inch flatscreen, which I did, it's exactly in the right place, fitted a big harddisk with that for endless movies whilst sailing.

Dinghy is in the water in a flash (see separate video search youtube waterworldcat). Just a rare negative comment - Lagoon did not do any soundproofing at all, I will retrofit some beefy stuff myself to deal with that. The water tanks are for the first time not "switched" one after the other, but joined together. It seems when filling you need to take good time to make sure "the other one" fills up fully. Wish Lagoon had put in gold cards in the B&G, silver does not display enough detail at all, if that was done straightaway it would not need an upgrade. I have to say I wish Lagoon did an inmast furling main, I know it would mean losing the square top main 15% extra area but I would use the main a lot more. But these are only small points. The one thing that irritated us (independently, guest had the same) is the poor lighting in the bimini - just three led downlights in the middle in a straight line. You can't read unless you sit right under them. The cockpit needs a lot of warm and dimmable spots in lots of places, I will have to retrofit that myself too, Lagoon dropped the ball here big time. But again if these are all the complaints ... Otherwise I did 2,000 nm in a month and a half without any problems (although Lagoon delivered three weeks late ... and left plastic filings in the diesel tank so on engine stopped and the other went to half power which caused a lot of stress and two days delay, before Yanmar mechanics in Lisbon found and fixed it in 3 minutes flat and then did the first 50 hr engine service. I do hope to hear some apologetic noises from Lagoon but none so far ....)

But again - no other niggles or problems, solidly built, she is not superfast but I usually get to half of the windspeed without much effort. Supremely comfortable and nothing else in that length range or price bracket gets anywhere near it. Palatial aft cabins, an interior that belongs to a 50 foot multihull .... very comfortable indeed and the best Lagoon model so far - as proven by 200 now sold half a year after its launch and production full until 2018 !
Old 15-09-2016, 10:30   #87

Boat: lagoon 380 s2

Great write up and congrats. Glad you are loving it so much.

My lagoon last year came with no Navionics, just the B&G lowrance which has very little resolution. I purchased the Navionics charts.
Old 16-09-2016, 23:30   #88

Boat: Lagoon 400

[QUOTE=brainmaker;2213766]I wish Lagoon did an inmast furling main, I know it would mean losing the square top main 15% extra area but I would use the main a lot more.

Hello Brainmaker interested in you comments re main, was there a problem with raising the main??? The youtube video you did on the new design davits was particularly interesting I wondered how well that worked, I note Leopard have had a similar design for some years maybe they have there design fully sorted any one had experience with the Leopard davit system. Any way enjoyed your video work and congratulations on your L42, it is on my shortlist for a possible replacement if and when I sell my L400 hard to do as it is such a good design, I do like the new Leopard 45 but haven't seen it in the flesh.
Old 30-03-2017, 13:48   #89

Hi All,
I quite like the Lagoon 42, currently sitting top of my list but a lot might change over the next few years as we get ready to go cruising. I second the earlier comments that for a really popular boat, there really doesn't seem to be much info out their.

Does anyone know of any Lagoon 42 live aboard blogs?
Dave
Old 30-03-2017, 14:11   #90

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Lagoon just completed hull #100 of the New L42.
Seems to be a very popular boat for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L42.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	144352  

Tags
lagoon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: