Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 16:10   #31

Boat: FP Elba 45
Re: Lagoon 42

[QUOTE=rajsach;2026360]Last one
Attachment 117560

Thanks Rajsach, well done on the photo's looks very attractive. I read the hardtop bimini also had a option for a hard windscreen. Do you have any comments on the build quality and fit and finish?
Regard Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:23   #32

[QUOTE=peterp;2027040]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsach View Post
Last one

Attachment 117560

Thanks Rajsach, well done on the photo's looks very attractive. I read the hardtop bimini also had a option for a hard windscreen. Do you have any comments on the build quality and fit and finish?

Regard Peter

Thanks but I cannot take credit. The pictures were sent to me. I plan to see it in person at the boat show">Miami boat show. With regard to the hardtop Bimini –on the options list it says "composite Bimini with windscreen at Helm station and stairs for access to the roof ". It does not further define the windscreen. However the Bimini and stairs are part of the same option

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 18:53   #33

Here is a link to a YouTube video on the new 42 . About 5 mins long.
If you can look past the 30 or 40 people on the boat it actually looks pretty nice.

http://youtu.be/9wWr3yk6INQ

Old 25-01-2016, 19:31   #34

Boat: Aloha 34

Nice looking boat... and not to be a naysayer, but it looks like an angry following sea could swamp it fairly easily.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 16:49   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

FP 40 Sail area 95 m2 for 8.900 kg of displacement (SA/D= 10,67), L 42 sail area 90 m2 for 12.000 kg of displacement. (SA/D=7,5)..
Is this a joke ?

For yr reference this ratio is 10,6 for L 380 and and exactly the same for FP Helia.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 04:58   #36

The weight given by the manufacturers is not always calculated on the same basis.

Lagoon is extremely clear about the weight calculation of there cats:
Loading capacity
For successful cruising you have to be able to take along everything you need without overloading the boat. VPLP architects and the Lagoon design office pay special attention to this issue. An unladen Lagoon catamaran always floats well above its waterline and the hulls are designed to be just as efficient when the boat is fully laden with water and diesel, food, sailing gear and the personal belongings of the crew. Enjoy unparalleled performance and comfort.

Modern cruising catamarans thus generally carry a lot of equipment and this affects their displacement.
Moreover European pleasure boat manufacturing is regulated by CE rules that all boat builders have to observe.
Precise norms have been defined in terms of construction (structure) and safety (fire on board, flooding, etc…)
This regulation is also extremely precise concerning the way the specifications and technical characteristics should be presented to European consumers. Lagoon of course strictly follows CE norms in terms of construction, but also in terms of public information.
As an example, it is compulsory under CE norms to indicate a boat's displacement in a ready to sail condition, namely : fuel & water tanks 50% full, crew and crew equipment weight, safety equipment weight and sails weight etc.
As a consumer, you should make sure that all shipyards follow the rules of the game in this regard.

FP doesn't give any information about the weight, they just say:displacement unloaded. Does it mean without any load?

So, we should consider that the weight difference between the Lagoon 42 and FP40 is less than the raw data can show.

Anyway, even with these reflections, I agree that the Lagoon 42 SA/D will always be less than the Lucia 40 SA/D!
Pat Nantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 05:17   #37
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I think the aft mast Lagoon designs are serving a purpose. I doubt upwind performance is high on the list, but I'd be interested to see if any owners have some real life data. The sail are would probably be a concern if spending a lot of time sailing upwind in under 10-15kt wind, not so much after that as most cats would be reefing. Off the wind and downwind code zeros and spinnakers take over and sized appropriately they would perform as well as other cruising cats of similar size.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:06   #38

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Nantes View Post
FP doesn't give any information about the weight, they just say:displacement unloaded. Does it mean without any load?

So, we should consider that the weight difference between the Lagoon 42 and FP40 is less than the raw data can show.

At least our Mahe has different weight data in the users manual
Unloaded displacement: 5028kg
Minimal condition displacement: 5252kg
Maximum payload by category: A: 2273kg, B: 2273kg, C: 2232kg, D: 2548kg

SA/D is 14,66 @ minimal condition displacement, and 10,54 @ maximum offshore displacement

Maybe the L42 is not as much fun as our Mahe but I guess it is a faster passage maker.
Only downside is it costs 3x as much
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 12:40   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I think the aft mast Lagoon designs are serving a purpose. I doubt upwind performance is high on the list, but I'd be interested to see if any owners have some real life data. The sail are would probably be a concern if spending a lot of time sailing upwind in under 10-15kt wind, not so much after that as most cats would be reefing. Off the wind and downwind code zeros and spinnakers take over and sized appropriately they would perform as well as other cruising cats of similar size.

That brings up a good point. Do you guys reef strictly by the numbers depending on the wind and Seastate irrespective of the catamaran you are on? Or do you take into account the displacement of the boat you're on? In other words do you leave more sail up longer on a heavier displacement boat? I'm just wondering in heavy seas how helpful is the SA/D ratio?
I'm not talking about racing catamarans just cruising catamarans only

Old 27-01-2016, 13:07   #40

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsach View Post
That brings up a good point. Do you guys reef strictly by the numbers depending on the wind and Seastate irrespective of the catamaran you are on? Or do you take into account the displacement of the boat you're on? In other words do you leave more sail up longer on a heavier displacement boat? I'm just wondering in heavy seas how helpful is the SA/D ratio?
I'm not talking about racing catamarans just cruising catamarans only

The exact reefing wind speeds depend on many factors, not only SA/D: Displacement, beam, length, etc. So it really depends on the boat.

Manufacturers typically provide reefing tables, this one is for the FP Mahe (apparent wind)

Main - Genoa Windward Downwind
Full - Full.........01-18kn 00-15kn
1.R - 1.R.........18-24kn 15-20kn
1.R - 2.R.........24-30kn 20-25kn
2.R - 3.R.........30-34kn 25-30kn
2.R - 4.R.........n/a 30-35kn
down - 4.R.........n/a >35kn

In this case the main has two reefing points and the furling genoa has 4 blue marks on it to indicate how far to furl.

Example: In 23kn apparent downwind one should have 1. reef in the main and genoa furled to the 2nd mark
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 13:15   #41
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I guess most have recommended reefing in the manual. I think we reef pretty close to the recommended wind speed. Depending on conditions we might reef later than recommended (flat water and only gusting or acceleration zones) and point higher or ease the sheets to take loads off the rig in the gusts. Usually full sail up to around 30kt apparent wind in flat water/rolling swells. Lately we have been leaving one reef in the main as conditions are usually 20-25kt, with some squalls up to 40kt, heading out with one reef means we just have to furl a bit of headsail if we see much over 30kt apparent wind. The difference in speed with the reefed main is pretty minimal in over15kt true wind (maybe .5-1kt). If it's less than 15kt for some time we shake out the reef.
The ride is generally nicer with a reef in when the seastate becomes ugly. Often the difference will be 7-9 kt boat speed with full main and jib and fairly uncomfortable motion over the waves (launching off the crest into the next trough) to comfortable and more controlled with a reef in and a more consistent 8kt boat speed.
Old 11-02-2016, 15:34   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bky0 View Post
Difference is 2 feets!
No way the difference s 1,07 MTR Beam and 1,07 MTR LOA that is massive been on both boats and the Lucia is way smaller. The Lagoon 42 feels like the 450S

I made my wishlist and ended on € 420.000,- VAT incl.

Lucia was around € 360.000,-
sanderkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 16:23   #43

Boat: Hanse 348

just at mia boat show looking at the new 42. truthfully if i had the $ i would move up to the 450, the new version is really great. If I didn't have the $, I think i would choose the 40 over the 42. Plus the 40 sails really well.

The 42 has a new dinghy davits system, not traditional davits but vertical arms that are hinged at the base that then drop down.

Also, checked out the new FP 40. Was not impressed. Great cockpit though.
jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:57   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
just at mia boat show looking at the new 42. truthfully if i had the $ i would move up to the 450, the new version is really great. If I didn't have the $, I think i would choose the 40 over the 42. Plus the 40 sails really well.

The 42 has a new dinghy davits system, not traditional davits but vertical arms that are hinged at the base that then drop down.

Also, checked out the new FP 40. Was not impressed. Great cockpit though.
jbini, just curious if you could elaborate on why you would spend the extra $ and go with the 450 over the new 42? I'm going to be checking it out this weekend as those three Lagoon boats you mentioned are on my super short list. I am having a hard time understanding the couple hundred thousand dollar difference between similarly equipped new 42 v. 450, for nearly the same boat...but the 420 has the updated designed cockpit and hulls. I am curious to hear how she actually sails in comparison to the others.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:11   #45
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How she sails upwind is the big question I guess. I doubt she would be any better or worse off the wind with the right sails on board. The price differences are always exponential with length and a couple of hundred grand is probably about the norm when going from 42'-45'
Hopefully we can see some test sail experiences.

Tags
lagoon