Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05   #1

Lagoon 410 rotten flooring

I recently bought a 1999 Lagoon 410 and discovered that I have a rotten wood floor in the saloon that was missed in the survey. Need to replace... any tips on how to do so? Was thinking that I would just remove the rotten marine ply instead of replacing the whole floor. Because of the layout, I don't think its possible to replace the entire floor without having to pull the hulls apart. Any ideas on how to best tackle this? Help / advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

www.suburbstosailing.com
mattysans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:09   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Lagoon 410 rotten flooring

Go figure how wide is the rotten area , and what kind of material.. Ply with a teak laminate in top, plastic over ply? cutting a rotten area and replace with a new piece is not dificult, you just need to match the inlay with the previous one, cutt the piece with close tolerances , i dont know what is holding the cabin sole underneath, cross sections of wood? Cheers,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 13:43   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mattysans,

In your position I'd go talk to a couple of shipwrights. One thing I can tell you, though, is that timber varies in how much it expands and contracts, so it would be a good idea to determine what the existing wood is so that you can match it with seasoned timber of the same type.

FWIW, we saw a Catana 46 that had its floor re-done in New Zealand, with rimu wood; it was really beautiful!

Good luck with it,

Ann
Old 01-09-2013, 14:27   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

You need to determine if you have a laminate on top of a subfloor, and if the rot goes through it all. If it is a laminate on top of a subfloor and it is all rotten, I would replace the subfloor with nidacore and put new laminate sheets on top (I would also use sheets of synthetic teak and holly).

If it is just solid flooring, then it is most likely sheets of plywood finished accordingly. These are most likely glued and screwed onto stringers across the bridgedeck. They should be able to be pulled off and used as patterns for new.

I doubt it consists of high carpenter work and fitted flooring strips - these would be a mistake on a catamaran bridgedeck.

How did a surveyor miss a rotten saloon floor? And how did it rot - you will want to also address that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 17:22   #5

Thank you for the reply. I missed it because this is the first boat this size i have ever bought and was nervous or something and caught up in the moment of the purchase. I keep on kicking myself in the ass for not looking more carefully- but that is not going to help me now. However I do not know why my surveyor missed it. I realize that i have to get over the things the surveyor missed which were many. This is my home now and Im going to have to make it right. I do not know what it looks like under this flooring but the floor is pretty spongy so i think it might just be glued to the fiberglass deck.

The rot runs down the edge of two seems in the flooring....one near the condensate of the air conditioner and one by the fridge. At least the source of the rot is not in question.....i guess?

This Sucks!!!!!
mattysans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 19:20   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Yes, it would seem that the AC condensate and the fridge (I am assuming front loading?) are the sources. The condensate is an easy fix - route it elsewhere. The fridge is more problematic - I have seen people keep a rolled towel in front to absorb the condense water it lets out.

If there are only a couple large seams, then the flooring is likely sheet stock and easy to replace if it wasn't glued to the bridgedeck. Look for any screw bungs along the seam.

Is there any place in the hulls where you can see up under the saloon floor? You may have to pull some drawers or facia out of the way.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:51   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

You should be able to see how the floor is fixed from within the couch beside the fridge. At least in the aft section its just glued to the fiberglass if I remember correctly.

As to the source of the water I would strongly suggest to check the hose for the fridge condensation, starting at the left front corner of the fridge. In our fridge this was leaking at the connection to the fridge. To make thingsd worse the hose was badly routed, as water doesn't like to flow uphill.
Also make sure that any condensation finds its way into the hose. There's is a plastic barrier at the front bottom of the fridge, guiding the water into the hose which was leaking in ours.

You should be able to fit in a new panel but matching colors will be next to impossible. If you want it perfect you'd have to replace the floor completely but that means removing all furniture. Maybe just add second layer and raise the floor?

Overall not a huge issue and I'd be more concerned about other issues the surveyor did not pick up.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 20:51   #8

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all,
Although this is an older post I thought I would add my recent experience with our saloon floor. On our pre purchase survey we were aware that a rotten floor in the Saloon of a 410 was on the cards. This was one of the very first things we looked at and sure enough we found the floor rottted near the sliding door. As part of the pre purchase agreement it was agreed for the seller to repair/replace the rotten section.
When the repair work was commenced it was found that the damage was far more extensive and would require much of the floor to be pulled up. The old floor was marine ply with a laminex finish of holley and teak.
Our repair consisted of replacing the rotted marine ply and then a product called vinyl teak boat floor from Lonseal. Any one who has come on board is astounded that it is vinyl. We love it. Its great underfoot and easy to clean and relatively cheap.
One thing that cheesed off was that I told the seller that the most likely cause would be from moisture from the fridge/freezer. I found out they made no effort to locate the cause of the leak.
Well today I thought I would do some of my own investigation based on the information found on this site. There is a drain hole in the bottom left hand corner of the fridge and after pulling the compressor away from it current position under the front saloon seating I was able to fell that there was a pipe end under the fridge but no pipe.
I started looking at all the cupboards adjacent to the fridge freezer and located a gate valve in a walkway cabinet behind the stove. There was a white pipe attached and the gate valve was marked fridge drain. By twisting my body in very unnatural ways in the saloon cupboard I saw that the drain pipe had come off the fridge drain. Let me tell that was the easy part.
I am going to start calling myself the human pretzel having gone through every possible combination of body actions to get the pipe back on the drain spiggot. In the end I had to cut away a very small portion of the lower foam insulation to allow enough room to place to allow view the pipe as I was attempting to get it on the spiggot. Then while working upside down and sideways and a slight lean to the left my glasses kept on drooping over my head making it impossible for me to see line up my screwdriver with the head of the locking clamp. In a stroke of genious I had my wife wrapp some masking tape over the top of my head, across my glass's, then under my chin and back over my head several times. Then back into my unatural upside down position and "wallah" I could see what I was doing and two minutes later - job done, tested with water drainage system now back in full operation.
It appears that the pipe to the fridge had been off for some time. At least I know the job has now been done properly and I know one more thing about my boat. By the way, anyone know a good chiropracter

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 22:20   #9

Boat: Elan 434

Hey Greg,
Good to see you have started the odd jobs list.
Melinda finishes chiro this year and is an intern so treatments are cheap at Macquarie Uni at the moment.
Hope the blow wasnt too bad
Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, lagoon, rot