Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 18:06   #1

Boat: Albin Vigen untill... we've finaly have a Cat
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailingcouple
Lagoon 410 or Admiral 38

On the internet we find a lot of multihulls. Most of them the Lagoon 410. They are nice priced but I think they are very slow, am I correct? The Admiral 38 seems almost perfect. But nothing is what it looks like, so please... any comment or feedback is very welcome!
Sailingcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 19:26   #2

Boat: Seawind - 1160
Re: Lagoon 410 or Admiral 38

There are many Lagoons on the market and their conditions vary greatly. As far as their sailing ability, I agree that they are designed more for interior room than for sailing fast.

I have a Seawind 1160 and have passed Lagoons, both 380 & 410's on many occaisions. If I were you I would look for a good used Seawind. (www.doublewidecat.com)

After living aboard for the past four years, I have found that things I thought were important in a cat were really not so important. For example, I wanted a boat with dagger boards but after living aboard I realized that having mini keels gave me the option of beaching the boat with worry of damaging the rudders. Also, I found that the visibility from the saloon on the Seawind was a great advantage, especially during stormy nights at anchor and during overnight passages in cold weather.

Cam
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 09:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Admiral 38 catamaran
Re: Lagoon 410 or Admiral 38

Hi Sailingcouple,

We own an Admiral 38 which we purchased new from the factory in South Africa in 2006. We cruised from Africa up to Maine and back to the Bahamas several times and enjoy the boat, she is perfecty for us. Pictures and info on our trips can be found on our blog at Sailblogs under Makana as well as our web site at makanatours.com. Please feel free to email me any questions you may have.

Aloha,

Makana
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 19:12   #4

We bought our 2006 Admiral 38 Executive last year and are currently keeping the boat and sailing her on the Florida Gulf coast so far (we still are working land-based). I have been a life long monohull sailor and this is our first cat. The boat is very comfortable, sails well and easily we have been very happy with our choice. Our longest cruise so far has been the Dry Tortugas, which was a great trip. We are looking forward to longer trips and going to the Bahamas and beyond.

Depending on your plans and dreams, I would highly recommend talking to people like Makana and reading the adventures of Captain Jack Foard ( http://sailmagazine.com/boat-reviews/admiral_38/ ) who have sailed the Admiral for longer and further. Better yet, spend time aboard cruising on a charter; nothing like spending time on the water sailing to know if it's the right choice for you.

Best of luck and fair winds - Stardust
Stardust10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon