Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 00:33   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Re: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The lines are quite Lugly. Looks like the design inspiration for the Lagoon 400 was a shoe box.

The new Lagoon 39 and 52 look more modern.
We sail tested a on a FP Mahe just before we purchased our Lagoon 380 about 5-6 years ago.

Good looking boat, but an entirely different sailing experience from Lagoon. The FP is more built for looks and speed. But the lightweight build didn't appeal to us.

In spite of your disparaging comments, which I'd obviously disagree with, you'd be surprised at the differences in sailing experiences between different brands.

And sometimes it's a slick combination of such characteristics as design, sailing experiences, build quality, service back up, resale values etc etc which play a part in boat choices.

For us, the Lagoons had more to offer in all departments than FP. And we preferred the unique Lagoon styling of the old and new models. We once more considered FP when we upgraded to the L400.

Cheers

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:20   #17

Boat: FP Elba 45

[QUOTE=Garold;1307885]Peter, I had the feeling when you first took delivery of your L400 that the beam and the windage may put you off the boat.

The L400 certainly felt like a big boat to me when we moved up from the L380.

However, I can see by your comments about upgrading, that the size is not an issue. I'm impressed.

Well Garold old chap, when I first sighted the L400 looking up do it from the pontoon, I felt it looked like the Queen Mary, I thought to my self, self you have bitten off more then you can sail, however after a short time I soon gained the confidence required, now with three years under my belt it seems a bit like a Mirror sailing dinghy, my first yacht. I still use the factory Delta anchor and it has been OK, I think, I say this for on some occasions I find it hard to decide whether the L400 is dragging or not, I would be most interested in your thoughts on your new Spade, I suspect a larger one would be more suitable for my craft. Whilst on this subject last summer I had fitted a Quick chain counter, what a handy bit gear that thing is. I have just ordered two of the latest new Raymarine plotters, replacing my old E120, mainly because at the Sydney Boat Show if one purchases two they give you the latest high def radar free, my Raymarine man gave me a reasonable changover price so why not, the advantages are the plotters will talk to your phone / ipad, and they look swish, the HD radar detail is significantly better plus other improvements, handy at night. I must say you are getting good use out of your L400 well done. Good to hear about your other upgrades it's quite fun finding ways of improving one's portable home. Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post

So Peter, aren't you supposed to be retired with plenty of time for experiences like sailing the L400 north? In any event, if you think you'll be up our way, let us know.
Don, most people I used to know that retired died.
Would love to catch up.
Regards Peter
Old 11-08-2013, 17:32   #19
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Don, most people I used to know that retired died.
Yikes! Are you trying to say something there Peter?!?

FWIW, we're rather enjoying 'retirement'. Of course we also enjoy our business, altho perhaps more for the nice people we meet in the process, rather than the pressure (which cruising helps us to avoid!) of business in a traditional sense. Most of the people we meet cruising are also retired...and it seems we mistakenly applied that category to you...sorry about that.

So how do you describe your 'occupation' these days?

We sincerely hope you keep enjoying your L400 and also find good hunting in your search for a new "portable home". Please PM us if you think you're likely to be along the OZ east coast.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 20:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zherma View Post
Hi Peter,

That was my Leopard 44 at the Sydney boat show. It's currently sitting up in Pittwater having some final post-commissioning completed and then heading down to SA.

If you're thinking of getting into one and you're ever down near Adelaide you're welcome to come out for a sail.

Hello Zherma, congratulations on your purchase, as I said I was really impressed with your craft, never walked over one before, the foreward sitting spot is well executed and we thought a good idea, the door leading to it struck me as very solid as of course it would want to be should a big greenie whack it, the general boat impression was one of well built and strong, the bimini frame for example looked like one could tie up to it, the interior finish was excellent however I am not a fan off the darker wood colours I prefer the Lagoon lighter shades, just my preference. Not sure what the connection with Sunsail is but they have used the South African builders for some time under the Moorings brand, same craft as the Leopard, maybe this connection could be a advantage having feedback from a dedicated charter company of how better to build solid reliable craft, not sure, well I would be most interested as I think others would be on the big picture how does it sail, performance, speed, etc. There is very little discussion on this forum re the Leopard that I am aware of so be good to hear from any other Leopard owners. Thanks very much indeed for your kind offer of a demo sail which I would take up if we are in your neck of the woods. Regards Peter
Old 11-08-2013, 21:39   #21
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
the foreward sitting spot is well executed and we thought a good idea
Indeed it is! We use ours often, both at anchor and underway. At anchor it tends to be the coolest spot on board (pointed into the wind, of course) and perfect for sundowners. Underway it's a splendid spot to feel surrounded by the rush of the water...the sounds, the motion and occasional spray off the bows...and all the while sitting snugly and in comfort. We indulged ourselves a bit up there as well...and installed a couple high-quality outdoor speakers so that we can (when the mood suits...) listen to music to supplement the experience.

We call that area the forward cockpit...and we love it. We're not sure who came up with the idea initially, but we can certainly understand its popularity.
Old 11-08-2013, 22:35   #22

Don, I think it was the Gunboat design folk that handled the Leopard layout, so I was told at the show, makes sense with the full size opening door, I don't know if Lagoon borrowed the concept or all there own work. Tell you a funny story the year before at Sydney we went out on a test sail on the L45 with other folk, any way this couple got themselves comfortable in the front seating area ready for departure, I was standing up the front giving directions to Steve to vacate the tight berth, well a short time later it was time to hoist the main, the couple looking very relaxed and happy in the front seating area on those nice cushions, well when the main was hoisted that released a truckload of cold water trapped in the sails right on to them, absolutely soaked them lucky it was a warm day, don't think they brought one.
I must say that coulden't happen on the Leopard as it has a roof that covers the seating area, good design, if one was moored and the sun was too hot in the stern one could move to the foreward seating area and be completely protected from the elements. Regards Peter
Old 11-08-2013, 23:42   #23
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Don, I think it was the Gunboat design folk that handled the Leopard layout, so I was told at the show, makes sense with the full size opening door, I don't know if Lagoon borrowed the concept or all there own work. Tell you a funny story...
The L440 was first launched in 2004; so that's the earliest we could confidently trace the forward cockpit appearing...and there was (so far as we know?) no such design on any Leopards then, but we have NO idea when it might've first appeared on a Gunboat.

We can easily picture your funny story though as that is indeed the spot where any accumulated water in the mainsail falls when raising the main! It's not a problem (and in fact a lot better than falling around the helm position!) when you know what's coming...perhaps Steve should've mentioned that to your fellow test-sailers.

As for the roof, we'd actually prefer it without. There's plenty of shaded area in the aft cockpit...and when the sun's astern and low enough to heat the aft cockpit, the forward cockpit is then in the shade. We considered the same issue (whether to put on a hardtop bimini) over the flybridge. We concluded that the ability to be without a roof and look up at the sky (or the wind vane...or the sails!) was well worth putting up with the days when you wanted a roof...and would you really be sitting forward on those days??

Did the forward door seem to reduce the 'living' area in the saloon on the Leopard? The door's impact on saloon areas was one thought we had when we first saw the design on the Leopards.

That, however, is probably enough (if not too much?!) about the forward cockpit in an L400 thread though...
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
The L440 was first launched in 2004; so that's the earliest we could confidently trace the forward cockpit appearing...and there was (so far as we know?) no such design on any Leopards then, but we have NO idea when it might've first appeared on a Gunboat.
I think Chris White may have beaten the L440 by about 15-20 years.

The leopard does not have a forward cockpit, simply a forward seating area, if one defines a cockpit as a place from which you can control the vessel, deal with sheets and halyards etc.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:32   #25

I really like Lagoon's designs. Look very modern with its angular shapes, very much as the automotive industry is moving away from yesterdays roundish shapes to more powerfull angular. Really like the L400, and the new L390 being an evulotion is further enhancing their design. Love the wave piercing inspired bows even if its just a design thing with no real benefits.
Charter Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 14:55   #26
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
one defines a cockpit as a place from which you can control the vessel, deal with sheets and halyards etc.
We stand (humbly) corrected. As usual, Factor is absolutely right. Our above use of 'cockpit' (fore and aft!) is quite inconsistent with the derivation of that term and its original nautical use.
Old 14-08-2013, 00:18   #27

Quote:
We stand (humbly) corrected. As usual, Factor is absolutely right. Our above use of 'cockpit' (fore and aft!) is quite inconsistent with the derivation of that term and its original nautical use.
Ahh Don, can't get away with incorrect terminology on this forum. LOL.
Regards Peter
Old 14-08-2013, 05:08   #28

What is the correct name for the stern area of a Catamaran where you sit eat and drink ?

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 05:13   #29

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
What is the correct name for the stern area of a Catamaran where you sit eat and drink ?
Cockpit.

From Lagoons site:
Cockpit is a real outdoor lounge area.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 14:57   #30
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Cockpit.

From Lagoons site:
Cockpit is a real outdoor lounge area.
...and from the FP website...

...(re the Sanya 57, with a flybridge)..."sheltered 25m2 cockpit with sugar scoops "

...(re the Mahe)..."With a sheltered open-plan cockpit"

It should, however, come as no surprise that the use (and, eventually, the definition) of a word should evolve over time...or perhaps the French never felt all that wedded to the English word anyway?!? Does anyone know the French word for cockpit?

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400