Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 14:59   #31
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Does anyone know the French word for cockpit?
poste de pilotage

D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 14:45   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A Lagoon 400 just entered the anchorage. It is quite a departure from the style of older Lagoons and the first one I have seen this new style. To my eyes it looked great from some angles, but a bit awkward from others,but overall looks very practical.
We Have just ordered our l400 s2 owners two head for July 2014 delivery
We have a little time to confirm our lagoon and dealer options, we have gone for leather seating , ac and gen, no teak as we plan to retro fit with Tecdec, we are hopping to upgrade the heads to the domestic style quiet flush made by http://www.raritaneng.com/products/t...e_elegance.htm as we are heading off to the carribean to captain and hostess charter her owners side hopping to hit the honeymooners and couples only market, have you guys opted for any additional fore sails , gennaker code zero? Also did you have any thoughts on what your would have ordered which you would have retro / upgraded or options that you wouldn't bother with again, would be Great to hear your thoughts
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:18   #33

Boat: FP Elba 45
Re: Lagoon 400 options

Hello Hoofsmit, you have already ordered the gen set air con option, a hard box to tick due to the cost. I assume you have ordered auto pilot radar etc. 40 HP upgrade, I think I ticked most options except the factory fitted water maker which I felt not required for our use. I assume you are ordering the electric winches, including electric for the davits, all the laboursaving devices makes handling so much easier. With respect to the heads the factory fitted quite flush we have and are now just three years old have worked very well indeed, no complaints at all, I would reluctantly retro fit anything. When I studied the different options I did ponder retro fitting stuff to save a few bucks and maybe one may finish up with better equipment, however I quickly came to the conclusion that would be a mistake and my three years experience has proved my thoughts correct, I truly believe equipment is best fitted at the time of build and if one is ordering a brand new craft as you are it's the best chance of getting everything right. The brands that Lagoon fit are all Global Companies, for example I chose Raymarine and found minor teething issues, the local Raymarine folk here gave me wonderfull service under Raymarin's Global Warrantee, I'm so pleased with Raymarine that this week I updated my dual plotter's to the latest E125 combined with the new High Def digital Radar. I would recommend you fit dual plotters, on several occasions I have found it very convenient not to mention redundcy. The one item I have retrofitted which I have found really handy is a chain counter, I chose the Quick brand to match my existing gear, not sure if that can be ordered with the new build. Being safety conscious and my bones really hurt when they break, I invested a fair bit in things that may save a fall, such as a proper step and handle to climb up on to the coach house roof, grab handles on sugar scoops, I had all those bits fabricated and fitted at the time of commissioning, frankly Lagoon should already be fitting this stuff as standard. Also modified the rear rails to accomodate a BBQ. Washing machine?, almost did not bother but really glad we did, when in port great not to have to walk to the local laundry. I did have a schreecher made here in Australia, works well but probaply should have ordered the factory Genoa as well. Recommend the Ericson router. I have attached a few photo's. Hope my experience helps. Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel down.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	68238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step handle.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	68239  

Name:	Screecher2.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	68240   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	68241  

Name:	Grab rail 2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	68242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel Up 3.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	68243  

peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 23:50   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Hello Hoofsmit, you have already ordered the gen set air con option, a hard box to tick due to the cost. I assume you have ordered auto pilot radar etc. 40 HP upgrade, I think I ticked most options except the factory fitted water maker which I felt not required for our use. I assume you are ordering the electric winches, including electric for the davits, all the laboursaving devices makes handling so much easier. With respect to the heads the factory fitted quite flush we have and are now just three years old have worked very well indeed, no complaints at all, I would reluctantly retro fit anything. When I studied the different options I did ponder retro fitting stuff to save a few bucks and maybe one may finish up with better equipment, however I quickly came to the conclusion that would be a mistake and my three years experience has proved my thoughts correct, I truly believe equipment is best fitted at the time of build and if one is ordering a brand new craft as you are it's the best chance of getting everything right. The brands that Lagoon fit are all Global Companies, for example I chose Raymarine and found minor teething issues, the local Raymarine folk here gave me wonderfull service under Raymarin's Global Warrantee, I'm so pleased with Raymarine that this week I updated my dual plotter's to the latest E125 combined with the new High Def digital Radar. I would recommend you fit dual plotters, on several occasions I have found it very convenient not to mention redundcy. The one item I have retrofitted which I have found really handy is a chain counter, I chose the Quick brand to match my existing gear, not sure if that can be ordered with the new build. Being safety conscious and my bones really hurt when they break, I invested a fair bit in things that may save a fall, such as a proper step and handle to climb up on to the coach house roof, grab handles on sugar scoops, I had all those bits fabricated and fitted at the time of commissioning, frankly Lagoon should already be fitting this stuff as standard. Also modified the rear rails to accomodate a BBQ. Washing machine?, almost did not bother but really glad we did, when in port great not to have to walk to the local laundry. I did have a schreecher made here in Australia, works well but probaply should have ordered the factory Genoa as well. Recommend the Ericson router. I have attached a few photo's. Hope my experience helps. Regards Peter
Pete
Many thanks for reply
We have gone for the Yanmar 40hp but may go with the Volvo , I have yet to have conformation that the sail drive will be 60 with plate not cone clutch.
Re.. Heads, do you know if the lagoon heads are Jabsco? The Raritans , are a more robust macerator , which for the charter side means less hassle, they would be a dealer fit.
Raymarine .... We have gone for c series saving £1600 on the non touch screens ( I don't like them) 9'" at helm 12" at chart table , AIS , radar ordered but the new evo auto pilot is not confirmed yet as to factor standard but we will push for it !
I think chain markers would be fine at the moment , no watermaker , the handle up grades look good, I might look into this with the dealer.

Thanks again
Old 06-10-2013, 00:10   #35

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Pete
, no watermaker ,
Thanks again
You really, really need a watermaker if you are going to charter. You've no idea how much water a young lady, with long hair, on her honeymoon, is going to get through in a day (some men are just as bad actually ) Without a watermaker you'll be looking for a dock every other day at best.

Been there, done that.Watermaker ( and washing machine ) make life a whole lot easier for the crew.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:44   #36

pirate Re: Lagoon 400

The watermaker is an option we have looked at but because we are hoping to start in the BVI where a fill up is no problem every other day , we have the twin tanks with 600l ,which hopefully should last a bit longer for one couple charter!!?its An option that we feel is not value for money from Lagoon and that is an after market upgrade we can do later if needed, but thanks for your input.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:54   #37

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Yes definitely fit it aftermarket, but, get Lagoon to fit the plumbing and electrics. Hell of a lot easier to do it at original build time. That's what I had Privilege do and I was then able to fit the watermaker myself saving a heap of money down the line.

We chartered in the BVI for nearly two years and even there it is a real pain having to come alongside a dock to fill up on a regular basis. You'll also find that you won't get that many 2 person charters, even on Honeymoons they'll often bring others along! I think we only did 2, two person charters in two years.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400