Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-11-2012, 02:27   #16

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Re: Lagoon 380 owners Vs. Lagoon 41 Standard

Its a good point actually... I wonder if famous Seth & Elizabeth would choose to do it all again on a 410 std/charter version... Yooohoooo - I know you're out there somewhere...

Old 26-11-2012, 03:11   #17

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46

I have sailed on a 2002 Lagoon 410 4 cabin/2heads version and been aboard a Lagoon 380 4 cabin/2 heads version from 2007 I think.

I am 6' 3" tall and my head is touching the bridgedeck roof at the forward end of the galley on the 410. Surprisingly the only place I could stand fully upright in the hulls was at the bottom of the steps and in the heads, just.

Going forward of the steps the headroom must only be about 6' 1" then it's a few inches less going through the forward cabin bulkhead doorway. In the forecabin itself headroom is about 6' 0".

Aft of the steps headroom is about 6' 1" until you get to the aft cabin bulkhead doorway where it's several inches less than that. The aft cabin itself has no more than about 6' 0" headroom. Worse than that was the ridiculously low doorframe height from the aft cabin to the heads. It must be about 5' 6". Ducking wasn't enough, I had to bend my knees as well to get through.

The other thing I didn't like about the 410 was the noise from water slamming against the aft cabin hull protrusions when sailing. The problem is it isn't a constant noise. Imagine, you're almost asleep and then BANG you're wide awake. Or you are fully asleep and it wakes you up. That's the kind of noise I'm talking about. It was loud and right next to your head. I didn't like it and my wife liked it even less. I'm not a particularly light sleeper so beware.

Headroom on the 380 was much better. It felt like it was actually designed for people of reasonable height.

The 380 doesn't have aft cabin hull protrusions like the 410 has. To me that is a big plus. Also the aft cabin berth is fore and aft, so you don't have to climb over one another to get out of bed as you do on the 410.

The 380 felt better thought out and although I couldn't put my finger on it I also thought it felt more solid than the 410. That may be because 410s are now getting a little long in the tooth or it may be that 380s are better built. I don't know. There are a heck of a lot more 380s out there than 410s. Maybe that says something.

If I had to buy one of these it would be the 380. An owners version 380 would be the best of the bunch but you pays your money and makes your choice.

Old 26-11-2012, 08:29   #18

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
The net result of such a modification will most likely be that the boat is worth less than before. Even if you have the right skills and it looks good, ...

Anyone buying a charter version for private is making a mistake!
Hi Rabbi,

You're two comments in conjunction are exactly why I think this modification would be worth making. The market is littered with 4 cabin versions that nobody wants. Unfortunately, I don't think the quantities are quite enough to justify the commercial production of a conversion kit.

However, I think a well done conversion would be valuable to the owner of the boat, and would be of interest to future buyers even though it is a custom build simply because of a wide preference for 3 cabin versions.
Old 26-11-2012, 08:43   #19

Boat: Lagoon 440

This is how they put a head together, everything is done from behind then dropped into the awaiting hull, explains why we bruise knuckles later in the boats life.

But this is smart production at work.....

Cheers Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bloc-WC.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	50311  
Old 26-11-2012, 11:16   #20

The only reason I care about head room is for resale value. I'm 5'6 (when I suck my breath in), wifey is a bit taller, but still kissable without contortionism.
The combination of gymnastics beds (WHY!?!) and the late night hull slapping would render the stern hulls unusable for us. Wifey is a light sleeper, and clambering over each other would never work.

Whilst its not a complete show stopper (the forward hulls seem to have much better ergonomics), it would force us to use the fwd cabins, and that is my least preferred place to sleep - especially on a passage. I imagine the hull slapping is only an issue when @ anchor, or at least is hidden behind all the other noise when at sea.
The other issue here is that it makes a 410 Owners Version a little pointless (assuming you don't want to deal with the slapping)

In line with the question posed by the OP, I am being steered towards the 380ov. I would like to love the 410 - it seems like you get more boat for your money, but my pro''s & con's sheet is stacking up in favour of ole mister 380.
Old 26-11-2012, 15:10   #21

If you get the o.v., you are not married to the "master suite". The "guest" suites have perfectly serviceable heads for late-night needs, and you get the choice of aft or stern bunks, or both for "those days". You can always use the standup-shower whenever you like, and your guests (now in the Master suite) will likely be very impressed with their own spacious accommodations!

I'm not sure, but depending on your water budget, and your love of showering, and your access to heated water, you might even find that you prefer the sit-down shower 80% of the time.
Old 26-11-2012, 15:31   #22

I've been trying to find some pictures to help me understand this...
Art, are you saying that the port side shower in the 380ov is a sit down only shower? ie. you have to sit down? ...or just that it has a seat and you can sit down if you want eg. making way / rough sea.
The stbd side owners shower has a seat, but you can obviously stand up if you want.

edit: Here's a pic of the owners shower on 380ov

Old 26-11-2012, 17:00   #23

This was derived from the discussion about forward and aft bunks. Anyway I'm just saying that if you get the OV, you still have a choice of bunks... you don't have to sleep in the aftbunk if it's uncomfortable, the opposite hull is open to you.

That discussion about sitdown showers was not really relevant, now that I think about it... the main point was that you don't HAVE to sleep in the port hull just because your shower is there.
Old 26-11-2012, 23:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
I've been trying to find some pictures to help me understand this...
Art, are you saying that the port side shower in the 380ov is a sit down only shower? ie. you have to sit down? ...or just that it has a seat and you can sit down if you want eg. making way / rough sea.
The stbd side owners shower has a seat, but you can obviously stand up if you want.

edit: Here's a pic of the owners shower on 380ov

If you choose to stand in the shower you need to update this with Lagoon as there are drainage issues to consider and wastes may need to be enlarged a little.
It's not a big deal but makes the drain pumps work less. Cheers
Old 27-11-2012, 06:03   #25

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Hi Rabbi,

You're two comments in conjunction are exactly why I think this modification would be worth making. The market is littered with 4 cabin versions that nobody wants. Unfortunately, I don't think the quantities are quite enough to justify the commercial production of a conversion kit.

However, I think a well done conversion would be valuable to the owner of the boat, and would be of interest to future buyers even though it is a custom build simply because of a wide preference for 3 cabin versions.
I don't think so.
A typical stock 3 cabin version has a market value above a 4 cabin version. If you factor out different equipment levels, different wear and tear the difference is still there but no too large. A few thousand bucks.

I doubt that a selfmade 3cabin will fetch the same amount as a stock 3cabin owners version.

You will most likely not be able to recover the price of the 4cabin version plus the conversion costs. I even doubt a home made 3cabin modification will fetch the same as an unmodified 4cabin.
Any heavily modified boat becomes an exotic beast and you will need to find a buyer for that.
Old 27-11-2012, 08:17   #26

if the price difference is that small, I agree.The differences I've seen are $40k or more
Old 27-11-2012, 12:23   #27

I still have my trainer wheels on (and will do for some time), but I've been thinking more in terms of years. ie. with a budget of around ~$200k USD, I can buy a 2001 380ov or 2007 380sv or a 2002 410sv
I realise that year of manufacture is only one of the variables that make up 'condition'.

My observation would match the OP - ie. a 410sv seems to be roughly the same price as a 380ov (all other things being equal).

*sv = standard version / ov = owners version
Old 27-11-2012, 12:33   #28

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM
if the price difference is that small, I agree.The differences I've seen are $40k or more
Asking... OV are more owned by dreamers

And as said factor out the equipment, wear and condition.
You cant compare a five year old OV with first owner and 300hrs on the engines with a charter boat of the same age @3500hrs. Brokers say so but only when they try to sell a charter cat...
Old 28-11-2012, 01:45   #29

Quote:
are you saying that the port side shower in the 380ov is a sit down only shower? ie. you have to sit down? ...or just that it has a seat and you can sit down if you want eg. making way / rough sea.
You can sit down in the port side shower.... on the head. You can stand if you want bit it can be a bit cramped depending on your size. The shower head is a retractable one that pulls out of the sink / basin. The starboard size OV shower is impressively large.
Old 28-11-2012, 01:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Asking... OV are more owned by dreamers

And as said factor out the equipment, wear and condition.
You cant compare a five year old OV with first owner and 300hrs on the engines with a charter boat of the same age @3500hrs. Brokers say so but only when they try to sell a charter cat...
Owned by dreamers????????

Tags
lagoon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: