Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 17:16   #1

Kantola Trimaran Info?

Hello all.

I recently found a Kantola 40 in a yard looking for a bit of TLC. The problem is that I am just not familiar with this designer. According to Wiki he was with Brown and Piver back in California and became a known designer. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any additional info or reviews on his designs. The boat looks well made after a cursory glance but I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with this design.

Anything?
chutzpuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 17:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
I don't have any direct experience but the few Kantola trimarans I have seen have always impressed me. There seems to be little info on Jay Kantola on a casual web search. Multihulls magazine might be a good resource to check out. It's owner and editor Charles Chiodi has been around since the early days. Post a few photos if you have them I would be interested in seeing them.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 18:17   #3

Boat: 1984 Prout Snowgoose 37
sailed on Mike Carlson's kantola 39 down the coast of california in the 80's...also raced in some nasty stuff on the boat in the SF bay area...great boats! what is the boat's name and where is it now...?
captfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 05:34   #4

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
Thumbs up

Mike Leneman (MultiMarine and L7 Trimaran) can tell you about Kantola. Send him an email!

Kantola gets much respect.
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 11:42   #5

kantola update

A little more thorough inspection showed a few more problems than at first glance. I also spoke with the owner and the boat yard. Built in California in the 70/80's using west system. Sailed the pacific through Ak to panama and up here to virginia. Can't seem to get an accurate timeframe during my time on the phone with the owner. Face to face should get a more accurate account. No name on vessel, but was told it was named Jehira (sp?).

Boat was brought into the yard more than 10 years ago. It has been up on concrete pilings with a few pieces of wood to support her. The entire boat is resting on the alma supports. Hasn't been touched for around 3 years, paint is worn away to the fiberglass in some spots- dried out fabric on some of the cabintop edges. Parts of the deck is actually burst from water being soaked through the resin and into the wood.

Lexan windows are crazed over with aged salt spray ,I would guess. There are compartments built into the deck, suprisingly the lids are still in place. I say suprisingly because none of them are screwed down! Stainless steel hinges mounted to the lid but not to the actual deck. The only hatches that are secured are to the main salon. Almas, storage, steerage access panels are all loose.

No access to the salon because of lock that owner didn't tell me about. Ooops.

Almas smell moldy but aren't totally damp. The breather valves are open fore/aft so i can't tell if water is actually enetering or not. Knocking and walking didn't reveal any soft spots.

Prop shaft seems in good shape, prop heavily corroded.

Is it normal to have a tiny rudder on a tri? I guess I'm used to monohull barndoors and multihulls with flip up rudders. This one is secured to the underside and only about 2ft high by 2 ft wide.

The mast is lying in the weeds, vegetation has securely attached it to the ground. I didn't see any other rigging, the owner told me that he had a bunch of stuff in his warehouse.

The owner also owes the yard for a couple years of back payments.

I can do most everything myself, but it still seems like quite an investment in a 20 some year old tri that may or may not be able to be finished.

But she has great lines and just looks like she wants to GO. Dammit, I hate it when I get attached to boats that are begging for rescue. Am I just tilting at windmills? I know monohulls but multis seem to have a totally different lifecycle, any advice?
Old 14-02-2007, 13:16   #6

Boat: Outremer 40, Helinä
No future

just forget it. ;-(
multihemmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 19:22   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Some pic's of it and of problem areas would help greatly.

Dave
Old 15-02-2007, 12:45   #8

Boat: Trimaran Oceanbird 30
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpuh
A little more thorough inspection showed a few more problems than at first glance. .... Am I just tilting at windmills? I know monohulls but multis seem to have a totally different lifecycle, any advice?
And what is the price the owner requires?
skipper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 13:14   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Wood?

This is a wooden boat?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 19:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris31415
This is a wooden boat?
Ha..........Wood is good, 'cause apparently Rust Never Sleeps

Dave
Old 15-02-2007, 23:34   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
So let me get this right...

...The proposal is to buy a wooden tri that has sat neglected for a number of years and has become overgrown.
Let me see if I can get a perfect score. The mast is wood and there is no way to check if there is rot in the crossbeams...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 13:16   #12

wood, sortof

It's a west system built tri. Glass over wood. Basic sandwich construction to me. Seems strong, there doesn't appear to be any sag in the almas. Just soft spots here and there. And possibly everywhere.

The mast is aluminum with shiny stainless steel fittings. Still shiny after all these years.

I'm heading back down that way this weekend, I'll get some photos for the files.
Old 16-02-2007, 13:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpuh
It's a west system built tri. Glass over wood. Basic sandwich construction to me. Seems strong, there doesn't appear to be any sag in the almas. Just soft spots here and there. And possibly everywhere.

The mast is aluminum with shiny stainless steel fittings. Still shiny after all these years.

I'm heading back down that way this weekend, I'll get some photos for the files.
That wood be great.

When you say glass over wood, are you meaning ply construction, or strip plank, glass, timber, glass?

Dave
Old 16-02-2007, 14:01   #14

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
Jumping the gun here... My guess is ply...like most of the SoCal boats of that era.

Here is what I went through with my 1963 CSK catamaran.
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 14:06   #15

Boat: Outremer 40, Helinä
I cannot see any reason to pay money for that ! Unless your hobby is not sailing .:-)
multihemmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran