Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 18:25   #31
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
That is a very good price even with 3 months work. Well done, and show some pics
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 18:35   #32

Boat: In the market
Thanks

I have been looking for a Kantola that is within my humble means for a long time. I am pretty excited about it.

Here are some more pics of it showing some work that it needs, along with a bunch of boring pics:

roblanford/MY TRI - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 16-05-2007, 14:37   #33

Congrats on the Kantola

I'm glad to see that it will be sailed again. Good on ya!
chutzpuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 17:35   #34
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Keep posting updates on the build
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 20:52   #35

Thanks

I will post as the project moves along. I am moving from Ca to VA to do this thing, cant wait to get started.
Old 06-08-2008, 18:16   #36

Rob:
I see you posted a picture in Panama.Have you left Virginia already or is that he previous owner?
Are you headed back to Calif. with the Kantola?
bando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 19:10   #37

That is the previous owners dad on the boat in panama. I got sidetracked and had to put the tri project on hold. I hope to make some progress this fall and early winter. Thanks.
Rob
Old 27-08-2008, 07:36   #38

Boat: was Pacific Seacraft 27 "Last Resort"
I don't know if you are still interested, but I know Hejira well. I re-rigged her in Ventura, California and sailed her to Pensacola, Florida through the Canal with the previous owners, Robert and Diane Morse. He constructed the boat in the San Francisco Bay area in the late 70s and very early 80s, then sailed her to Hawaii and back. The started south and ended up in Ventura in 1985, where she was dismasted by a oilfield crew boat. That is where I came in. Put a new rig on her, then sailed her to Florida coast-hopping down the coast of Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama. After a trip through the Panama Canal, off to Florida. I got off the boat in Pensacola and still live in Destin, just east of Pensacola. I lost track of Bob and the boat in 1989. If you would like more info, contact me: tim at prolectron.com

BTW, saw your pic of her. Glad to see you raise that aft cabin deck. That coffin-like stern cabin was my home for 6 months in 1985-1986.
SurferTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 12:02   #39

Hi Rob: How's progess on the Kantola? I hope it's coming along per your expectations.
Old 24-12-2008, 01:25   #40

Hey Bando, I sailed off a while back and was taken over by Somalian Pirates. They are demanding $100 ransom, and if you could send it to them, I would really appreciate it.

Anyway, Somali food sucks and I would give my left nut for a burrito and a Modelo.

Rob
Old 26-12-2008, 12:35   #41

Rob:
Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I too have been hijacked and held hostage, but by the economy. The hundred is on its way. Good luck getting sprung or at least getting the burrito and a brew. Keep your nut.
Old 26-12-2008, 12:57   #42

Boat: PETERSON 44
not held hostage here much worse. I am manufacturing automobiles.
if you could help out I would prefer some where near 700 billion but would be open to offers
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 22:10   #43

Thumbs up Old Kantola tales

Back in 73 I spent time with a private builder working on a Kantola 32 in Sunnyvale. Jay lived with this man for a while early in the project. The 32 launched on schedule, fitted out in South SF Bay (Alviso), then sailed to San Diego before jumping off to Marquesas, Society Is., Hawaii.
About a year later he showed up again in SF, then headed south.

The 32 was a fantastic boat, crossed from Cabo to Fatu Hiva in 29 days.

I bought plans for a Kantola 34 and tooled up to build, bought the cedar veneer (with Rob) for the hull planking before being waylaid in a bike accident. The cedar ended up in Rob Morse's boat, storied here. (He built it during the mid-late seventies).

Mike Carlson built his boat a bit earlier, but in the same time frame; I bought a few tools and parts from him as he was selling off prior to departing.

Can't say enough about the Kantola design - light weight and strong, cedar veneer planking, West epoxy system, sleek lines with compound curves, look like spaceships.... In their time were the best around.

Every one I ever saw sailed beautifully; light boats, rise up and plane on a broad reach.

Great memories, and Hejira is well worth saving.
summer dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 16:39   #44

Kantola 39

Not too often that I find info on Kantola boats so thought I'd drop a line. I noticed a couple references to my 39 "Jazz" and added a pic when the boat was in San Diego. Never got out of the country but enjoyed building and living aboard for about 6 years. If anyone is building or thinking of it, I photographed most of the construction and would share some pics. CaptFolly mentioned a thrilling ride outside of the Golden Gate during the BAMA Double Handed Farlones Race. (Glad to have made it back rightside up).
Also sailed a bit on the 32 Kantola mentioned in the Sunnyvale-Alviso reference. I also lived close to Larry and was building a 31 Searunner during that time.
So... Glad to see theres still interest in Jays boats...

MIke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kantola 39-2 .jpg
Views:	399
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	12364  
Kayakmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 18:12   #45

Kantola Reveries

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. Glad you had a great ride on the Searunner. I sailed a Searunner up the Baja beat in '73 with Denny Brown, onboard the "Trivia", built and owned by Bill Denholm, USN Retired. But Larry's Kantola was far more fun and FAST.

I still have the old Searunner Construction Manual- they were easy to build and the manual was really great for novices. But I picked the Kantola after seeing the 32' Potter built.

I have been looking about for Larry lately, don't know where he's staying. If you have a name, place etc. hit back.

Fred Fuller
AKA Summer Dreamer
summer dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran