Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 15:46   #1

Just looking for advice on a good racer / Starter.

I've been sailing smaller sailboats since I was 8 years old (optis, 420s, lasers, bytes and 29ers). I'm looking into getting myself a 20-30 ft keelboat . I am hoping to spend $10 000 - $12 000 perhaps up to $15 000 provided I find a really nice boat. I'm still interested in racing and would like a relatively fast boat (I know that isn't necessarily possible on my budget). I have to keep in mind I am a student. I was wondering if anybody had any advice on boats to look into. I know that the classic j24 is a decent race boat however I hear it typically doesnt move to quick... I may have been wrongly informed.

I'm going to university in Kingston Ontario so any type of boat on the great lakes is a possibility and my home is in Nova Scotia so any boat there is also fair game.

Any advice is welcome. Everybody has to start somewhere I figure this is the best place for me.
Donovan26490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 15:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Just looking for advice on a good racer / Starter.

Corsair 24
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 16:26   #3

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

If you're going to race it consider not only the initial cost but the cost of upgrading an older boat (traveller/jib cars/solid vang/standing and running rigging and, most of all...sails). Monohulls that come to mind that have a good turn of speed are Santa Cruz 27, J27, J29 or, a little older, Evelyn 26, Lindenberg 27 and in my opinion, the best...S2 7.9(26'). These are almost all outboard powered and there's plenty of used stuff (boats and hardware) around. Look for soft decks on all of them 'cause hardware is always shuffled around on older race boats and, if not done right, water seeps into the deck core. Use the plastic hammer test (sharp noise for solid laminate and kind of a dull thud for waterlogged). Especially check around stanchions and anyplace hardware has been moved. Probably want to consider a survey or get a copy of Casey's book on Buying an Older Boat. To source one, I'd check eBay also as there are occasionally great deals on older racers. Have fun.
Old 01-07-2012, 17:40   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan26490
I've been sailing smaller sailboats since I was 8 years old (optis, 420s, lasers, bytes and 29ers). I'm looking into getting myself a 20-30 ft keelboat . I am hoping to spend $10 000 - $12 000 perhaps up to $15 000 provided I find a really nice boat. I'm still interested in racing and would like a relatively fast boat (I know that isn't necessarily possible on my budget). I have to keep in mind I am a student. I was wondering if anybody had any advice on boats to look into. I know that the classic j24 is a decent race boat however I hear it typically doesnt move to quick... I may have been wrongly informed.

I'm going to university in Kingston Ontario so any type of boat on the great lakes is a possibility and my home is in Nova Scotia so any boat there is also fair game.

Any advice is welcome. Everybody has to start somewhere I figure this is the best place for me.
What classes are racing in your area?

Anything that ends up racing PY or IRC will disappoint as you never know whether it is handicap ot you at fault. I love the J24 but many guys here are switching to SB3.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:13   #5

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

When I was a student I raced boats for the university sailing team. True mostly centerboard dinkys but it was very cheap to do. The schools sailing teams usually had sponsors who were connected to the local racing establishment.

You may want to start there, or just go directly to some of the yacht clubs in the area. One other poster mentioned an F24. I know this is not a keel boat or even a monohull but in some locations it is a popular racing boat.

And that is what you are looking for, a boat that is popular enough in your area that you can at least talk to local sailors about it. The theory being that the racing classes most popular in your area are popular because they are suited to the water and wind in the area.

Talking to local racers will probably also provide you with a chance to crew on one or more local race boats and get some type of feel for just how well that boat fits your idea of what a race boat should be.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racer