Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2010, 07:12   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Jim Brown Searunner 37-40' ?

What are peoples opinions on these boats? I have been looking at tris and never really considered these as they look like an ugly box.

However I had the opportunity to check one out and the comfort level is miles above anything else in the size range. Now I am keen on this model too. How do they sail and how seaworthy are they?

JIM BROWN SEARUNNER 40 TRIMARAN boat details - BoatPoint Australia

Jim Brown Searunner 37 Trimaran: Sailing Trimaran for Sale - Epoxy Glass Over Ply Sail Boats - Queensland (Qld) - Manly (brisbane) Qld
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:36   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
I would not hesitate to sail one of these classic beauties across the ocean. Center cockpit with all controls at the base of the mast, deep centerboard, easy repairs etc. In my opinion they stand as one of the finest cruising designs ever.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:38   #3

I've actually been on the 37' searunner that is listed (was looking at a multihull for a cruising boat before i got my current mono).

Niceish boat, main problem is that what may not be apparent from the photos (or at least wasnt' too me) is that the cabin layout is split into two sections. There is a the head (bathroom) and cabin on one side of the boat (aft of the cockpit) and the lounge/more bunks/galley on the other (er can't remember layout exactly, but it goes something like that).

As the cockpit has no covering (though you can install one) that means you'll have too go outside to get too different parts of the boat. For me that wasn't really suitable.

Having said that, jim brown searunners have a good reputation as cruisers. There is a big thread in the multihull section on them. Can't really say much else, but i'm be curious to see how you go as they are definately an intreging design, I like the idea of an affordable multihull ^^.
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 00:33   #4
cruiser

I went on-board both boats. The 40 presents a lot better and the hard dodger would make cruising a much more conformable experience. Both will need new sails at some point especially the 37. Are these guys dreaming on price?
Old 16-06-2010, 00:50   #5

Not too sure about prices (don't know enough about multis) but as the broker who showed me that boat said, noone pays the asking price for boats. So it'll definately be a bit to fair bit below whatever is listed.

Just had a quick look at the 40... thats a nice boat.

1990 as well.

I'm definately not a multi expert (or even an affiacondo) though.

Still looks like a nice boat.
Old 16-06-2010, 02:17   #6

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
If you do a search for "Searunner" on this site you will find a topic thread with 39 pages of everything you need to know about these under-rated boats (sorry - I don't know how to put the link here).

Good luck!

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 17:42   #7
Bee

Boat: Brown Searunner 37' Moon
I love my 37, it sails great..."fast, comfortable, and inexpensive"...I have read (Newick?) that when choosing a multihull you could only have two of those three traits, but Searunners are one of the few boats available that can answer yes to all three.

Go sailing on them. They are all home built, and quality/condition can be variable.
Being a wood boat, they require higher maintenance that glass boats, and the "inexpensive" trait may be offset by labor.

Once you go sailing on a good searunner with a good skipper you will get a the idea of what it is all about. The "ugly box" can Sail!

Bee
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 01:32   #8
cruiser

Thanks guys I have been reading the big thread. I like the 40 in Bundaburg but I reckon he wont go lower than 80. I still think this is a little high? Its it good condition but has original sails (2 year old rig) and an engine with a lot of hours. A 40 went for 22K in Mexico last year. I know this is Australia but still. This is a serious investment and I need to be able to get money back for it one day. This would require a refinance of my home loan... I want to but my sensible side says no.
Old 17-06-2010, 01:56   #9

Not sure if $80k is reasonable for that boat but I do know that before making a purchase like this for that sort of money you need to be sure about it. So do your research and take your time.

It's a big descision and you want too be absolutely sure you'll be happy with it. Whichever way you decide.

ps:- Boats always depreciate in value(doesnt' matter which one you get), thats something you have to consider if this is an investment.
Old 17-06-2010, 03:05   #10
cruiser

Thanks Troy. When I say investment I don't mean it in a literal sense that I might make money. I know I will most likely loose out, but when you pay too much you are guaranteed to loose a LOT.
Old 17-06-2010, 03:11   #11

Ah ok nice one dennisal just wasn't sure what you meant.

And again, from the listing it looks like a nice boat, but you're the one who has to live with (and in) the descision so give it some thought and trust yourself.

good luck either way, keep us posted please.
Old 17-06-2010, 03:14   #12
cruiser

haha yeah I sure will. I just don't think I will buy this boat unless I can be convinced its worth it. They come up so cheap in places over the world I would rather buy there and enjoy the trip home.
Old 03-03-2016, 14:41   #13

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran
Re: Jim Brown Searunner 37-40' ?

Over the last two years

Tags
Searunner