Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 13:45   #1

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Jim Brown’s Coming Seaclipper 20 Trimaran (the 'Janganda')

I borrowed this from the Searunner forum. Thanks to Steve Ripples for this: From Steve's other post.

Jim Brown's Coming Seaclipper 20 trimaran (the "Janganda") | Small Trimarans

Highly recommend the mp3 of Jim talking about the boat. I contacted the Searunner design partnership about plans and got an email (extremely quickly) from John Marples saying that it was Jim's project, that he hasn't quite finished the plan package and is at present cruising off South America, not expected back for 3 weeks or so. How old is Jim? He's still cruising? Way to go! Now that's a man that just loves what he's doing.

I wanted to make this a new thread, because Jim Brown is a very special kind of designer/man. If you listen to his audio file, you will hear him explain all the reasons behind every thing on this boat. The material, the construction methods, the availability to make it your self. Jim has always, since the 1960's been a designer who knew his boats where for the home builder, and yet they were going around the world. Imagine the worry of a designer watching complete novices building, and those same builders saying they are heading out....and they had never been on a boat!
He always kept the material in line with what was needed to get the joib done, at a reasonable cost and time. That is harder than is seems I bet. Keeping it simple but not too simple. Strong, plenty strong, but not too heavy.
There is a genius in Jim. He could have gone to the top no doubt. Designing million dollar exotic machines. But he didn't. He is still fighting high costs and unreachable boats for the regular sort of guy.

The Sea Clipper line of boats (sold by John Marples) were designed to have a guy bang them out, and get out there sailing to far off places. They are not the lightest, fastest, or latest design going. But they are hell for stout and rugged and can pack a load. More like a serious offroad utility vehicle, that just happens to be fast and comfortable.

Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 14:25   #2

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Slightly off topic but perhaps you are the person to ask, is there anywhere on the net to look more closely at these designs (the 44), the only thing I can find is this which is pathetically devoid of useful information

SEARUNNER 50 Hardtop Charter Catamaran

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 14:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Slightly off topic but perhaps you are the person to ask, is there anywhere on the net to look more closely at these designs (the 44), the only thing I can find is this which is pathetically devoid of useful information

SEARUNNER 50 Hardtop Charter Catamaran
I understand. best thing to do if you are serious is call or email John Marples.

Multihulls for Sale - Seaclipper 41 Trimaran

I Helped work on this boat and launch it many years ago. The owner /builder was legally blind! I guess the boat was lost in a hurricane in Baja. Good shots from an old for sale site.

[MHml] Seaclipper 38

A discussion you might get something from.

Sea Clipperl 28

SC 28' rebuild nice shots

Marples SeaClipper 34 pictures from sailing photos on webshots

Another SC 34' site.

http://svrikki.blogspot.com/

Very nice Blog of a Marples 40' CC build and sailing

Good luck, if you get any good shots, please post!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:31   #4

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.
Hi, Dana http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/m...gallery?KID=55 has the outline information.

Hi, Jmolan, good idea to make a thread just for the new Seaclipper 20. Do you get the feeling interest in the Searunners is on the up and up? Hope so, maybe it's because the design values are more long lasting than onboard HDTV....

Now I have a real dilemma on my hands - build my own cruising tri half-size model for testing which will come out about the 18-20 size, or go for the new Seaclipper. What the hell, either would teach me a great deal. Or how about building both? Steady, now...
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 16:02   #5

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Thanks! I might do one of these in the future just for fun.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 18:40   #6

Boat: Windrider 17
Swing wings for Seaclipper 20 tri

Is anyone aware of Marples or Brown design which swings the floats fore or aft to reduce the width to road clearance??

Thanks,

Bob G.
Huntsville, Tx.
ppl_rjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 08:34   #7

Non that I am aware of, but I am not sure how Jim will design his nest boat the 20' on this thread.
Old 23-01-2010, 08:38   #8

This is one of the few swing wings I know of. Antrim rocket, has made all kinds of 1st place runs. Google Jim Antrim for more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antrim_ms.jpg
Views:	1533
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	12764  
Old 25-02-2010, 08:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppl_rjg View Post
Is anyone aware of Marples or Brown design which swings the floats fore or aft to reduce the width to road clearance??

Thanks,

Bob G.
Huntsville, Tx.
Jim Brown's newest design, the SeaClipper 20, does in fact employ a swing wing for docking and trailering, which brings the amas underneath its fixed 8' x 8' platform.

Jim intends to release the SeaClipper 20 design plans in the near future.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 14:15   #10

Boat: Windrider 17
Seaclipper 20 tri

Quote:

Thanks,

Bob G.
Huntsville, Tx.
Just found out on the Webb a link to Jim Brown's CC20 which is swing wing and looks like a honey! Take a look:

http://www.seaworthysolutions.net/f/SEACLIPPER_20_Study_Plans_PDF.pdf

No commercial interest, etc.

Bob G.
Huntsville, Tx
ppl_rjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 11:19   #11

Quote:
Just found out on the Webb a link to Jim Brown's CC20 which is swing wing and looks like a honey!
Good find! I'm quite certain the drawings are the real deal. I say that because:
  • I spoke with Jim Brown last weekend who showed me the model he was working on which matches the drawings. The model is his way of physically verifying what he has imagined will work in 3D. The main hull is identical to the drawings, as are the asymmetrical amas.
  • Jim said two real boatbuilders, both name Scott with one living St Augustine, were going to build the prototypes in order to help with feed back. I had thought he meant amateur boatbuilders but from the plans I now assume he meant pro.
  • Jim said he was going to put the study plans on line but the finals would be for sale.
  • He noted he was also working with John Marples on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07080.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	13604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07085.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	13605  

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 06-03-2010, 15:08   #12

Boat: Careel 22
As I can not find a WR17, at a reasonable price, here in Aus', and sellers of WR17's overseas are less than forthcomming with details I "need" to import, that leaves me with one "easy" choice.
I "will" build a JB Seaclipper 20...Just as soon as I can buy and get my hands on the plans
JB, releasing your SC20 plans for sale can't happen soon enough for me

Cheers,

Bill
AU
Old 28-03-2010, 07:04   #13
Marine Service Provider

The first Seaclipper 20 is being built at my shop now and will be at the Cedar Key Meet. Jim Brown will also likely be there.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 16:55   #14

Boat: Careel 22
Pictures Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
The first Seaclipper 20 is being built at my shop now and will be at the Cedar Key Meet. Jim Brown will also likely be there.
Good! I hope you take pictures of the build stages and...Post them here
I look forward to buying the plans for JB's SC20 when they, soon I hope, become available.
Old 29-03-2010, 08:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
That's wonderful! I do hope you'll post some photos along the way.

Maren

Tags
trimaran