Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2010, 05:02   #16
Marine Service Provider

John Marples has just released the Seaclipper 20 plans for sale . Contact him at his site SEARUNNER 50 Hardtop Charter Catamaran . It's Christmas for you , BillAU !
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 19:08   #17

Boat: Careel 22
Seaclipper 20 Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
John Marples has just released the Seaclipper 20 plans for sale . Contact him at his site SEARUNNER 50 Hardtop Charter Catamaran . It's Christmas for you , BillAU !
Thanks for that xsboats but, I ordered and paid for the JB Seaclipper 20 plans from John just as soon as he let us know they were available

Aparently I was first in-line to order and pay for the plans, and John sent me the following email last week:
Quote:
Thanks Bill, Yours will be the first plans shipped. Attached is the vessel description. John.
End Quote:

I'm guessing I'll receive my plans in the mail late this week or early next week...I hope.

Now I'm in the process of clearing-out my workshop to make room for building the Seaclipper 20...Funny how so much, now useless gear, gathers in our workshops over the years...Or is it just my workshop

I'll take pictures as I go with the build and publish them on-site.

Cheers mates,

Bill
Old 06-04-2010, 22:12   #18

G'day mates, anyone else in Australia (I'm in Geelong) planning to build a JB SC20 Tri'? If so, how about we keep each other informed on our progress and help each other where we can.

Bill
Old 14-04-2010, 17:55   #19

I've received the plans

I received my plans yesterday morning and just as John said, I was first in line with my order and payment My JB, SC20, is "sail number 3"
I guess JB has "sail number 1", and xsboats, the bloke who's building the first two SC20's in the States, will have "sail number 2", and as I have said, my SC20 will have "sail number 3"

I've had a "quick" look at the plans, all 9 sheets, and I'm thinking I may take the sheets to a carpentery shop that can laser cut parts. (Bulkheads and such)

Last night, after the boss had retired for the night, I got the plans out and went over them again. I was looking for the plan for installing "foot stearing gear" but could find nothing on the subject, nor could I find information on the "Stem Heads" that John talked about in his SC20 model video.
I'm also having a problem seeing how I can build the hulls as John says in his model video, i.e. Stitch and glue method. Build the sides wire them together bow and stern, then spread the sides and slip-in the two bulkheads, fore and aft, so there are some things "I'm" just not seeing in the plans. Like John said, the plans "are" very detailed and besides, it's been well over twenty four years since I built a boat, that one was a Wharrem 40' Captain Cook.

Anyway, I will not be rushing-in to building my SC20, I do want to get it right...First time

But now it's back to clearing-out my shop. I'm almost there but not quite

Cheers mates,

Bill
Old 15-04-2010, 04:52   #20
Marine Service Provider

Hey Bill, I'm finishing up on Hull # 1 and milling lumber and cutting parts for #2. Drop me an e-mail with any questions you might have about your build. I found it helpful to build the bench 24'x4' instead of 20' long. Since the plywood comes in 8' lengths, only a little extra lumber was needed. This allows for keeping the drawings at the end of the bench, under a piece of plexiglass for consulting while at work. As a professional builder, I was tempted to "improve" upon the design as I was building. Since the first boat is a "proof of concept" boat, I had to strictly follow the plans. What I found is that many changes I thought of making actually would have complicated the build and though the design is simple, Jim and John have really thought everything out.[except the 10 sheets of 3/4" ply in the materials list] Let me know how you progress, The Bloke from the States [xsboats]
Old 15-04-2010, 08:47   #21

G'day xsboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
Hey Bill, I'm finishing up on Hull # 1 and milling lumber and cutting parts for #2. Drop me an e-mail with any questions you might have about your build. I found it helpful to build the bench 24'x4' instead of 20' long. Since the plywood comes in 8' lengths, only a little extra lumber was needed. This allows for keeping the drawings at the end of the bench, under a piece of plexiglass for consulting while at work. As a professional builder, I was tempted to "improve" upon the design as I was building. Since the first boat is a "proof of concept" boat, I had to strictly follow the plans. What I found is that many changes I thought of making actually would have complicated the build and though the design is simple, Jim and John have really thought everything out.[except the 10 sheets of 3/4" ply in the materials list] Let me know how you progress, The Bloke from the States [xsboats]
John sent me an email about the mistake with the 3/4" ply in the list so no problem there.
I sent you a message from your site so I'll wait to hear from you when you have the time.

Bill
Old 07-05-2010, 16:05   #22
Marine Service Provider

seaclipper 20 at seaworthy solutions shop

Here's a picture of Jim Brown and I reviewing the bow of the first Seaclipper 20.

Old 27-05-2010, 09:16   #23
Marine Service Provider

seaclipper 20 seatrial photos

http://www.seaworthysolutions.net/al...56/6256592.htm
Old 27-05-2010, 11:13   #24
Marine Service Provider

SeaClipper 20 sea trial photographs

Jim Browns audio review of the sea trials will soon be available at small trimarans.

Old 27-05-2010, 12:35   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Glad I crawled out of Navigation forum and found this thread!
I am getting ready for my next boat and a small (preferably, but not necessarily foldable) tri is what I am aiming at. I would be interested, aside from information here and on the smalltrimarans.com to hear about some first hand experience:
- models (production) to look at
- things to take a note of
- generally speaking anything to educate a relative newcomer to tri-hulls
Old 27-05-2010, 23:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Glad I crawled out of Navigation forum and found this thread!
I am getting ready for my next boat and a small (preferably, but not necessarily foldable) tri is what I am aiming at. I would be interested, aside from information here and on the smalltrimarans.com to hear about some first hand experience:
- models (production) to look at
- things to take a note of
- generally speaking anything to educate a relative newcomer to tri-hulls
Having already bought the plans, I'm commited to building a JB SC20. The SC20 apeals to me because of JB's record on designing and building Tri's, also because the SC20 is easy to build and will be so easy to store, tow, launch and retreve. She should suit my needs down to the deck. John and James are almost ready to offer plans for a SC24, the SC24 is based on the SC20 but they will have a cuddy cabin, so perhaps a SC24 may suit your needs...I know I'll be having a look at her lines just as soon as John lets me have the shots.

Bill
Old 30-05-2010, 19:05   #27
Marine Service Provider

I have several of the drawings of the new Seaclipper 24 available for download on my website free of charge for anyone who is interested in building one. We are getting ready to build the prototype once I finish with a mast that I am building.
Old 23-10-2010, 05:54   #28

Greetings from Hamburg/Germany,
as a passionate Multihull sailor (and hobby builder) I read this threat with interest. 10 years ago I built a Wizard (after plans from R. Woods) and had much fun with the cat. But this folding trimaran by J.Brown helps a lot during storing and trailering. So I intend to purchase the plans.
Moreover I have a Shearwater 16 " in my garden and think about to use this hulls for trimaran amas (like Tremolino with Hobie 16 hulls). It should be possible to adapt the hulls. What is your opinion?
Owning a 3. boat might cause some troubles with my wife
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	riedl6.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	20433  
fiddle_fast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran