Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 06:56   #46

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365
Re: Jaguar 36 Stories ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmike View Post
[U][/URL]
By the way, Akmike, are those digital construction pics?
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:00   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I'm aghast! This is blasphemous! This video is faked! Because the "experts" here have clearly stated that it is not possible to cruise comfortably, safely, and quickly on a J36. Some of them even have super secret numbers and criteria to back this up! Which they will share with you, for a fee of course, just to confirm that you really are delusional.

Nice video. Enjoy!

A few pics of my W35 underway, I've been doing the "impossible" in her since 2001!
It must be a conspiracy from the French. Mark my words!
Thanx for ths pics, although they are not good for my inner peace, as long as I don't have one!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyet View Post
Hey, thanx for your enthousiastic story! Haha, I think that I have watched this video of yours for at least 5 times already. Especially the parts where you don't hear the wind in your cam mike, give me that perfect blue cruising feel! By the way, it seems like the little waves that must produce the "slam" meet eachother behind the cat, or am I wrong?

Those are waves from the wake of the boat converging astern of the boat -- usually starts to happen at around "hull speed".

The waves that cause pounding are the big ones you are motoring directly into!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:28   #49

Quote:
Those are waves from the wake of the boat converging astern of the boat -- usually starts to happen at around "hull speed".

Aha... We just have had a monohull, so a lot of new info for me :-) So you can get pounding because of oncoming waves together with the meeting "bow waves"? Or is it just the uncoming big waves?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:03   #50

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyet View Post
Aha... We just have had a monohull, so a lot of new info for me :-) So you can get pounding because of oncoming waves together with the meeting "bow waves"? Or is it just the uncoming big waves?
Just the on coming waves.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:35   #51

Boat: 04 CharterCats SA, Jaguar 36 - "MiKat"

Quote:

Hi,
I agree with belizesailor however you can get pounding on reach to close hauled with breaking waves hitting bottom and leeward hull. Most people (if you can believe it) don’t sail in 20+knots of wind. We have left many behind at port during a brisk northerly. They say cats don't conform to the traditional hull speed formula, I’m told because of the narrow beam of the hulls, but we are moving between 9-12 knots in this video.
36 foot waterline length has a max hull speed of about 9 knots. Anyway in my experience the faster you go the less pounding you see. I have some layup, dimensional, plumbing and electrical drawings.
akmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:10   #52

Quote:
but we are moving between 9-12 knots in this video. waterline length has a max hull speed of about 9 knots. Anyway in my experience the faster you go the less pounding you see. I have some layup, dimensional, plumbing and electrical drawings.
Hey, thanx for your info! The question is, was that speed compared to ground, or compared to the water? I mean, if it is gps-speed, and the water is doing 5 knots in the same direction... Just curious.
About the drawings: are those digital drawings? If so, I would appreciate it very much if you would be so kind to e-mail them to me.

By the way, what did you do to your camera?! :-)

Wim
Old 06-09-2012, 10:46   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
If I remember right, don't you have to walk through a head in order to access the foreward berths? Odd design. I did really like the stern seats though.
I found one with that layout. CYOA cat rentals. Indeed a stupid layout...
CYOA Yacht Charters - Jaguar 36

Wim
Old 06-09-2012, 11:18   #54

Notyet

Youtube must have corrupted the file, I'll re-upload it if I can find it. We were about 200 miles from Galveston at that time so there wasn't much current, maybe a knot or two but in any direction. With 20 knots aft of the beam you’re in for a thrilling ride. I'm not implying she always goes that fast just that she is as fast and capable as any 36-40 footer. I have pdf files so I can email them to?

The boat sails great regardless of what some will tell you. Sailing cats is just different than monohulls and once you figure it out its easy. As with any sailboat a thorough survey by a competent surveyor should tell a lot about the boat. Ours told us the the boat was built very well and carries a CE certification for unlimited offshore use, category A.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:27   #55

That’s the charter version. I don't know, I always stop at the head on my way to bed There is more usable room on this 36 footer and any other I've seen. Each to his own, he's been successfully chartering the 36 for years while others were dreaming…
Old 06-09-2012, 11:27   #56

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Anybody know anything about the "Bums" boat? What's her name now and what's she up to. That would probably be a good one seeing they fixed all that stuff that you might worry about.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:30   #57

Quote:
Notyet

Youtube must have corrupted the file, I'll re-upload it if I can find it. We were about 200 miles from Galveston at that time so there wasn't much current, maybe a knot or two but in any direction. With 20 knots aft of the beam you’re in for a thrilling ride. I'm not implying she always goes that fast just that she is as fast and capable as any 36-40 footer. I have pdf files so I can email them to?

The boat sails great regardless of what some will tell you. Sailing cats is just different than monohulls and once you figure it out its easy. As with any sailboat a thorough survey by a competent surveyor should tell a lot about the boat. Ours told us the the boat was built very well and carries a CE certification for unlimited offshore use, category A.
Good to hear, Akmike (why are we all actually using those stupid nicknames? )
I wished we already had the money for this boat. Again, I like this other video of yours. Perfect cruising feeling!

About the drawings. - would be great. You can mail them to wkeesmaat@hotmail.com
Thanx,

Wim
Old 06-09-2012, 11:34   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Anybody know anything about the "Bums" boat? What's her name now and what's she up to. That would probably be a good one seeing they fixed all that stuff that you might worry about.
Yeah, I guess you wouldn't have many problems with it anymore. By the way, they called their new monohull also Bumfuzzle.
I had e-mail contact with Ali, from the Bumfuzzle, a few days ago. Read Pats cat/mono comparison. They are still quite positive about the old Bumfuzzle (exept for the infamous delamination, of course)

Wim
Old 06-09-2012, 11:39   #59

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I meant the old boat. I don't follow them anymore now that it is a baby blog. Just not that interesting to an old fart.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:41   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Kevin,

I discussed that survey on Bumfuzzle at length with the surveyor who did it. He was in Melbourne last year for the SCCA meeting. Charlie said there was no delamination present when he saw that boat, and I for one believe him.
I expect there were some issues with the early Wildcats but that thats why a survey is so important.

Tags
36 bumfuzzle catamaran, jaguar