Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 19:02   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Jaguar 36 Stories ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyet View Post
... When you read everything that has gone wrong, you know what to do and where to look for, when you're thinking about buying one, right? In my own language we have a saying that says: "A warned person counts for two." I don't even know if that is decent English, but that's approximately what it says......
True in any language I think, but "a warned experienced person counts for 4"...don't forget that survey!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 19:07   #17

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
True in any language I think, but "a warned experienced person counts for 4"...don't forget that survey!
Totally agree!
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 19:09   #18

Oh and this recent post might interest you also:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1022004.

Most of the J36s I think will probably be a bit faster.
Old 28-08-2012, 19:22   #19

Quote:
Oh and this recent post might interest you also:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1022004.

Most of the J36s I think will probably be a bit faster.
I just read it. I get totally sick of this website at the moment, though. Probably my currently slow internet (optical sea cable near Trinidad is broken). I literally have to press a page 30 times before it's opening, so reading a thread takes a long time
But why would a J36 be faster than that?
Old 29-08-2012, 10:00   #20

Quote:
...But why would a J36 be faster than that?
It has a slightly longer WLL and maybe a bit more sail area (don't recall that being the case, but the numbers indicate it) so the SA/D ratio works out better.

You can pull up the numbers and do comparisons at www.multihulldynamics.com.
Maybe when your Internet connection is behaving better.

Keep in mind that these are generalized numbers and may not always match real world nor account for variations between individual boats. I know some of the numbers on the W35 are wrong. For example, my W35 is rock solid, but is definitely heavier than its build spec.
Old 29-08-2012, 20:22   #21
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I chartered a Jaguar from Cyoa about 6 years ago. It hammered unmercifully and wouldn't point better than 50 degrees. Personally I thought the boat was a total piece of crap. We saw it motoring past us in Virgin Gorda last year and kind of laughed about it's condition and bridgedeck clearance. No matter what, you can't avoid that this boat is going to hammer on any point of sail less then 80 degrees. You can buy an old Lagoon of FP for near the same price and would get a substantially better boat, IMO.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
.... wouldn't point better than 50 degrees. ...
Not sure why it would not point over 50d for your. My W35 will sail quite nicely at 40-45 and pinch to 30.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:06   #23

Parallan, thanx for the reply! But you know, it was just short rental. That's why I wanted to hear stories from owners. You got to get used to something for a few weeks. It's like with cars. Two years ago I bought an old Toyota Land Cruiser. It can almost climb a vertical cliff and loves mud, but the first time I drove it, it felt like crap. Everything felt old, not "fluent" and a lot of other things. But a few weeks after I restored the piece if junk, and having modified some things, I started to get used to it an fell in love with it.
Okay, sometimes I still get frustrated with it, but honestly, it is still the nicest car I ever had!
Old 30-08-2012, 09:10   #24

Quote:
Not sure why it would not point over 50d for your. My W35 will sail quite nicely at 40-45 and pinch to 30.
I guess that is what I said in my last post. When you are an owner, after a while you learn how your boat reacts, how you precisely have to handle it. And maybe it reacts different if you fiddled a little with the poise (?) of the mast and the rigging.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:18   #25

Quote:
Parallan, thanx for the reply! But you know, it was just short rental. ...
Yes, but at least Parallan's comments are based upon actual experience, and not just a rant from some self-proclaimed, but experience-less, "expert".

As with any boat, an opportunity to charter one is a good way to form your own opinion. May be some still out there in charter service.

Or, maybe the seller would agree to an extended sea trial. This is not common, but I have been the captain for a couple.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:37   #26

Quote:
Yes, but at least Parallan's comments are based upon actual experience, and not just a rant from some self-proclaimed, but experience-less, "expert".

As with any boat, an opportunity to charter one is a good way to form your own opinion.
You're right. Haha, maybe sometimes as an owner you tend to close your eyes for the negative points of your boat/car because you fell in love with it, and then you need the fresh view of a not-owner.

About the sea trial. Last week I saw a catamaran ad in which the owner wanted to sail for two weeks with the new owner to get him at ease with the cat. But okay, that was after the sale :-)
Old 30-08-2012, 09:41   #27
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Belizesailor,
It could very well have been sail trim. This was the first cat I had chartered and as you have surely found out, they don't like the boom centered when close reaching. If it was though, the rudders couldn't compensate as the boat would round up and go into irons or stall.

My FP has the same sail angles as you state and it for sure is no performance cruiser.

If I remember right, don't you have to walk through a head in order to access the foreward berths? Odd design. I did really like the stern seats though.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

If I remember right, don't you have to walk through a head in order to access the foreward berths? Odd design. I did really like the stern seats though.
I have seen litterally al the pics from the J36 that are on the internet, but never a lay-out like that. It's just that in an owner's version, at the owner's side you have to walk through the shower to reach the wc/toilet/john (whatever you guys call it).

By the way, on the Jaguar I saw that the mast is "hanging" backwards. Why is that?
Old 30-08-2012, 12:28   #29

Quote:
I guess that is what I said in my last post. When you are an owner, after a while you learn how your boat reacts, how you precisely have to handle it. And maybe it reacts different if you fiddled a little with the poise (?) of the mast and the rigging.
You do get to know a boat over time, but no rig fiddling here. She's always gone to windward respectably well for a cruising boat.
Old 30-08-2012, 12:32   #30

Quote:
You do get to know a boat over time, but no rig fiddling here. She's always gone to windward respectably well for a cruising boat.
Good to hear. But again, why are the masts on some cats (like the J36) leaning backwards?

Tags
36 bumfuzzle catamaran, jaguar