Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 11:20   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450S
ITA 14.99

Thought I would start a new thread on a new boat I am following called the ITA 14.99. See the renderings attached. My wife and I have been researching catamarans now for over a year with many conversations with current owners of boats, test sails, and boat shows under our belts. We have been trying to balance our needs/wants which lean more towards performance cruisers while wanting to maintain some key comfort requirements for a planned retirement 2+ year cruise and who knows beyond that. As a happy couple, it is always a balance where I would purchase an Outremer 4x and my wife a Lagoon 450S. Up till now we believed we had found the right balance in the Nautitech Open 46. In fact, we are about to leave for a 7 day charter on one out of Croatia. I will be posting a video of this trip on my youtube channel "iliohale Productions" if any one is interested.

So along comes a new boat called the ITA 14.99 which on paper, makes both our hearts sing. So we will be following this boat carefully and I will update this thread and post more information as it becomes available. The manufacture and US Dealer are currently working on the boat spec and pricing. But wow wow wow, beautiful and very much matching both our needs/wants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1 Fwd Quarter Profile.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	145376   Click image for larger version

Name:	A2 Stern Quarter Profile.jpg
Views:	1667
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	145377  

Click image for larger version

Name:	17855370_448210218862203_37431636361675522_o.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	145378   Click image for larger version

Name:	B1 Salon.jpg
Views:	1510
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	145379  

iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 11:31   #2

Re: ITA 14.99

BTW, the ITA website is not fully up yet but here is the url: ITA CATAMARANS - SAIL INTO A DIFFERENT WIND

Here are the preliminary specs:

LOA: 14.99 m / 49.17 ft
Beam: (overall) 7.80 m / 25.59 ft
Beam: (hull @ waterline) 1.50 m / 4.92 ft
Draft: (standard rudders) 1.15m / 3.77 ft (daggerboards down) 2.30 m / 7.54 ft
Light Displacement: 10.5 t / 23,149 lb
Full Displacement: 14 t / 30,865 lb
Bridgedeck Clearance: 0.92 m / 3.02 ft
Mast Length: 21.5 m / 70.54 ft
Mast Height: (excluding antennas) 23.7 m / 77.75 ft
Mainsail: Square Top 91 m² / 979.5 ft²
Self-Tacking Jib: 49 m² / 527.43 ft²
Staysail: 24 m² / 258.33 ft² Genoa: 53 m² / 570.5 ft² Code 0: 90 m² / 968.8 ft²
Gennaker: 140 m² / 1,507 ft²
Spinnaker or Parasailor: 180 m² / 1937 ft²
Fuel: 2x 215 l / 2x 57 gal = 114 gal total
Water: 2x 330 l / 2x 87 gal = 174 gal total
Old 20-04-2017, 10:10   #3

The ITA 14.99 web site has just been updated, be sure to check it out:

ITA CATAMARANS - SAIL INTO A DIFFERENT WIND
Old 24-04-2017, 19:13   #4

Boat: Maxim 380

Beautiful boat but the helm stations and winches need more thought imo.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 12:54   #5
gbr

Boat: Balance 526

Any idea of cost?
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 13:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbr View Post
Any idea of cost?
Not yet, the factory is still working on the full specifications for the boat. I believe that pricing will be announced in the next few weeks. Be sure to check out ITA Catamarans on Facebook. They have been posting pictures of the molds under construction.
Old 25-04-2017, 14:52   #7

Looks nice. I'm hoping the squared off corners on furniture go back out of fashion soon though.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 15:44   #8

For anyone following the ITA 14.99, thought I would provide some updates based on my own inquiries. The initial standard boat spec and pricing is tentatively done. The factory and US dealer have put a lot of thought into the overall construction of the boat and into the base boat spec. They will be built with epoxy resin and heavily reinforced with carbon. ITA will be pushing the envelope on how the boat is molded with the entire boat consisting of three primary fiberglass components:
1. Both hulls which includes 1/3 of the forward deck (single piece here)
2. The balance of the deck which includes the main cabin liner and joins to the forward decks laid up with the hulls
3. The Cabin top and cockpit cover

Very innovative approach. I had a call with Christian Paulitsch from ITA and he walked me through the structural design of the boat, the layup schedule, and many details such as the Jefa steering system for the twin stations. It is clear to me that this is going to be a solid boat and light. Some details that really show the thought that has gone into the design include the reinforced bulkheads for the rudders, the dagger board trunks, end bearing dagger boards, chain plate reinforcing, foredeck details for vents and tank fills, the attachment point for the bow sprint which will be un-stayed, and the crash boxes.

The base factory boat is going to be very well set up with many features that would be extra or after market installations by other manufacturers. Things like epoxy resin, bow sprint, ball bearing main cars, cored furniture, carbon davits, 3 blade folding props, leather covered wheels, digital switching, and the list keeps going.

Pricing is very competitive with similar sized boats from Outremer, Balance, and even FP considering what is going into the ITA. We will need to see where the final pricing gets set, how the factory executes on the build, and of course the final product including sailing performance. So stay tuned. The first boat should be in the water late this year or early next year. The world premier will likely be at the April International Multihull show in La Grande Motte, so book your tickets.

I have been extremely impressed with the communications from the factory and the US dealer. For further information you can contact Dan Buckles the US dealer at: don@navigatoryachtsales.com

Gary
Old 20-06-2017, 08:50   #9
Marine Service Provider

Gary, I cannot thank you enough for your continued interest and enthusiasm in our Italian "gran turismo" ITA 14.99 project!

Perhaps I can go one step further in defining the 3 female molds (computer controlled 5-axis router used for the tooling) and the construction process.

Mold 1: consists of the inner/outer hulls, bridgedeck, and both foredecks
Mold 2: consists of balance of deck, cockpit, aft crossbeam, transoms, and salon floor base
Mold 3: consists of the coachroof/bimini

The reason to laminate the components noted above at the same time is to eliminate the junctions requiring added resin/cloth and less fairing to save weight, plus it produces a more rigid and homogeneous structure.

Corecell M and Divinycell HP is the sandwich core used for the hulls, deck, roof, and all main composite parts using Epoxy resin infusion and post-cured in a tent at 40 degrees C for 16 hours.

Divinycell H is the foam core for all primary and secondary bulkheads which are fully glassed to hulls/deck, as will the deck to hull joint to produce a rigid monocoque structure.

While the hulls will be gelcoat (paint optional), the deck and cockpit will painted w/sprayed non-skid to save the weight of gelcoat and easier to effect repairs if ever needed. All thru hull fittings below and above the waterline will be in solid laminate (monolithic) as well all other openings such as engine exhausts and windows.

ITA will pay the same attention to the deck details to ensure no water migration, but maybe I'll save that for another time if anyone is interested.

Thank you again Gary . . . your check is in the mail!

Ciao, Don
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 08:52   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Looks nice. I'm hoping the squared off corners on furniture go back out of fashion soon though.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 20-06-2017, 09:23   #11

Divinycell H is the foam core for all primary and secondary bulkheads which are fully glassed to hulls/deck, as will the deck to hull joint to produce a rigid monocoque structure.

ITA will pay the same attention to the deck details to ensure no water migration, but maybe I'll save that for another time if anyone is interested.

Ciao, Don[/QUOTE]

Thank you Don for the additional information. Couple of questions here:

1. Every production cat (FP and Nautitech) I have seen in construction at the factories, the decks are glued to the hull flange with no mechanical attachment beyond what they do with the bulkhead attachment at the decks. Are you saying that the ITA will mechanically bond the entire hull to deck joint?
2. I am very interested in understanding how you plan to protect the deck core from water migration. Please explain.

Gary
Old 20-06-2017, 10:59   #12
Marine Service Provider

Not being familiar with FP and Nautitech construction process I cannot comment.

The ITA hulls have in inboard flange on which the deck sits on top of and the entire circumference is then fiberglassed using resin and a multi-axle cloth, it's similar to say joining the outer/inner hulls together. Normally many bags of sand is placed on the deck circumference giving time for the resin to cure.

And this method is not exclusive to ITA, since I was involved with Catana for many years I know they use the same method as I believe Outremer as well.

As far as deck, ITA will use various methods for mounting deck hardware. For instance the inboard flange is monolithic as is the outer edge of the deck (normal for some builders), so the stanchion base in not in a core, but many builders install bases that are screwed into the deck with a tube extending below deck.

ITA is doing something different, similar to what we did on our last project, which is inserting a female stanchion base (approx 14.5 mm long) below deck and encapsulating each base in resin. The top of the base is above deck and receives the removable stanchion. The Italian supplier is Seasmart,which is the same supplier of the deck cabin hatches, composite locker and forepeak hatches and folding cleats.

Other deck hardware like cabin hatch frames will be mounted in a solid laminate, winches, padeyes, rope organizers, rope clutches, etc, etc will either have an aluminum plate glassed into the deck with bolts welded to the plate for high load hardware such as winches and possibly rope clutches and some padeyes. And in other areas resin saturated wood laminate, but no balsa anywhere.

Hope this helps! Ciao, Don
Old 05-07-2017, 11:05   #13

Boat: wanting a cat

Just wondering if there are any updates on this cat?

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:12   #14

Is it me???

Why does this read like a 'Trojan Horse' containing nothing more than social media gorilla marketing?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Is it me???

Why does this read like a 'Trojan Horse' containing nothing more than social media gorilla marketing?
It is you, I am a completely independent potential customer of ITA and my opinions are my own and not influenced by the manufacture or dealer. I have been actively shopping for a 45 to 50 ft Cat for about 1 1/2 years. I have been active in posting information about the other boats we have been evaluating including the Nautitech Open 46, FP 44 & 47, and the Lagoon 450S. We also looked at the Outremer 45. I will be completely honest and open as I have been in my postings on these other boats. With ITA, there is not much yet to go by other than the design documents. That said, my dealings with the ITA US Dealer and the direct communications I have had with the manufacturer have been outstanding. These are not going to be mass produced boats, I believe they are targeting around 8 boats a year. What I like about the ITA is the close match the design is to our requirements, hence my interest.

Feel free to contact me directly at gryan004@yahoo.com and I will be happy to talk off line and discuss our search for a boat to date.

Gary