Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 11:39   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: ITA 14.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Just wondering if there are any updates on this cat?

meatservo
Not much update, the molds are scheduled to be completed late this month or sometime in August. I believe the timeline for the first boat remains end of the year. The US dealer is putting together a complete spec on the boat complete with pricing and options, you can reach out to him at don@navigatoryachtsales.com for more information. He is who I have been working with.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 14:41   #17
Marine Service Provider

Nothing to hide, I am involved with ITA Catamarans and thought I was following CF protocol. My apologies if out of bounds or I've offended anyone. Truth is I've sent two request via Vendor section asking for ad options/quotes . . . still waiting for a reply. Don
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 14:44   #18
Marine Service Provider

If you send me a PM I can follow up with a pretty lengthy intro on builder / design / construction. Don
Old 06-07-2017, 16:21   #19

Boat: wanting a cat

Appreciate you Gary and Don!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:39   #20
gbr

Boat: Balance 526

Still no word on price? The website is scant with information....
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbr View Post
Still no word on price? The website is scant with information....
You should check in with the US dealer, Navigator, on the status of pricing. My understanding is that the final base boat spec and factory options are still being developed and once set the pricing will be available. I know that Navigator is pulling together a complete overview and spec for the boat with details on the construction and components. I understand that the base boat pricing will be very well equipped and in the price range of the FP 47 with comparable equipment and lower than a base Balance 51 or Outremer 51. But we will have to see to be sure.

Gary
Old 07-07-2017, 09:02   #22
gbr

Boat: Balance 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
I understand that the base boat pricing will be very well equipped and in the price range of the FP 47 with comparable equipment and lower than a base Balance 51 or Outremer 51.
That would be very interesting then!
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:21   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbr View Post
That would be very interesting then!
Hi GBR, I have no idea what the FP 47 base price is, but I have to believe considerably below the ITA 14.99 based on a number of factors. However the ITA 14.99 is very competitive when compared to Balance 526, Catana 47, HH 48, Outremer 51, and others in this specific market segment.

If you will send me a PM I'll be happy to forward to you all info.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:56   #24

Don at Navigator has been involved with cats for more than 20 years and is a treasure trove of knowledge of build process, build materials, layout, systems, sailing characteristics and what works, what doesn't or what didn't work. I am excited that he is involved and that tells me this project is very interesting and worth watching closely.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:23   #25

Boat: PT-11

If I understand this correctly, the forward bows are molded as one unit - sort of a tube. If this is correct, are the deck edges solid glass? I can imagine some strong shear loads if the core runs right round that edge.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:27   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
If I understand this correctly, the forward bows are molded as one unit - sort of a tube. If this is correct, are the deck edges solid glass? I can imagine some strong shear loads if the core runs right round that edge.
Hi Neko, yes the bows and foredeck and hulls are molded as one with the junctions (edges) being monolithic. Similar to say joining two cored hull halves together which will have x mm of monolithic area on both edges for laminating the two halves together.

And you're right, there are high shear loads considering the fwd crossbeam is fixed to the bow stems plus the torsional loads. There's a lot of FEA structural analysis done for stress and safety calculations, which is required to optimize the scantlings for weight savings and safety margins. Don
Old 09-07-2017, 13:06   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu View Post
Don at Navigator has been involved with cats for more than 20 years and is a treasure trove of knowledge of build process, build materials, layout, systems, sailing characteristics and what works, what doesn't or what didn't work. I am excited that he is involved and that tells me this project is very interesting and worth watching closely.
"Jack of trades master of none" . . . Rum could be the exception!

Grazie mille Catmandu
Old 09-07-2017, 15:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Hi SV Neko,

I spent an hour on Skype last Friday with Chris at Composite Performance who is responsible for the construction of the molds and layup of the boat. He walked me through the complete mold design, how he plans to perform the layup, bulkhead schedule, building approach, the layup schedule including coring, and so on.

Very careful structural analysis on every aspect of the layup design has been performed on the entire boat by an independent third party. As a result, the builder is making some minor changes to the layup and core schedule and to the fiberglass part design. The safety factor and rated durability of the boat is outstanding and far beyond what most manufactures do even on custom yachts. Which, by the way, Chris has much experience with as he had the same role at Wally and other other high end custom builders.

I would encourage you to contact Navigator Yachts, the US dealer, for more details if interested.

Couple of interesting take away's I had from the conversation are as follows:
1. There is no comparison to how ITA is approaching the layup of the fiberglass components of the 14.99 to how most production builders do it. Even builders like Outremer are not in the same class.
2. I was extremely impressed in the details of the mold design and layup schedule in dealing with hull and deck penetrations, bow construction, crash box construction, and key high load areas like the chain plates.
3. The hull to deck joint is outstanding with wide flanges throughout and with post gluing fiberglass throughout. I was a skeptic that someone would be able to get access to the entire joint to perform this fiberglass work but Chris was able to show me how on the CAD drawings. A lot of thought has gone into the design of the molds to allow for this.

Bottom line, I continue to be very impressed with the ITA 14.99 and everyone at the factory I have interacted with. Can't wait to see the first boat.

Gary
Old 09-07-2017, 16:07   #29

Just got the first ITA newsletter from the US Dealer, Navigator Yachts. Here it is the text from the newsletter:

"I am very pleased to announce Navigator Yacht Sales has been appointed the North American Sales Agent for the Italian builder ITA Catamarans SRL whose design brief was for a performance cruising luxury sailing catamarans constructed and equipped to the highest quality and safety standards while providing exceptional value.

ITA Catamarans’ corporate headquarters is near Verona, IT with production facilities near the Adriatic town of Fano, IT which is well known in the yacht industry as the “Silicon Valley” for world-class yacht production due to the deep pool of fine craftsmen in all aspects of yacht construction.

Designed by the award winning French naval architect Francois Perus, the first model to be introduced is the ITA 14.99 featuring the latest hull design elements, daggerboards, dual aft helm stations, sail management from the safety of the single-level cockpit, and offered with either Volvo-Penta diesel or Oceanvolt hybrid propulsion systems.

The interiors are designed for true luxurious comfort and excellent storage for extended cruising, hand-built balsa cored real wood furniture with fine Italian hardware and soft goods, and offered in various design styles and finish.

To insure performance, strength, and longevity is maintained, construction of the entire shell and bulkheads will be resin infused Resoltech® epoxy with Corecell M™ SAN polymer core for the shell and Divinycell H™ PVC core for bulkheads and post-cured @ 50° C for 16 hours to insure optimum tensile and modulus strength.

Hull Nr. 1 is scheduled for a soft launch December 2017 and will make her official debut at the Multihull Boat Show in La Grande Motte, FR next April 2018.

While ITA Catamarans is a new company, the experienced team members and co-makers are the same group that I have had the pleasure to work with previously. So please visit ITA CATAMARANS - SAIL INTO A DIFFERENT WIND and feel free sending me an email requesting detailed design and technical info and standard inventory included in the base price of both the diesel and hybrid propulsion versions."

Anyone looking for a cruising catamaran between 45 and 50 ft and who is looking for higher performance then a Fountain Pajot, Leopard, or Lagoon, I recommend that you take a look at this boat. Based on my own search I think it is a very good option when compared to boats like the Balance or Outremer for example.

Gary
Old 09-07-2017, 16:42   #30

Boat: wanting a cat

Apparently this boat is all electric, Voyage has one as well...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote