Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 13:55   #1

ISARA 50 - Performance Under Sail?

hello all
would any of you be able to indicate how to find some information on how the ISARA 50 is performing under sail?
i screened the net for boat tests of this cat, didn't find anything
it looks like a beautiful floating condo, but if it sails a bit faster under good wind, it would make this boat interesting
cheers
sail safe
alexxx
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 14:06   #2

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: ISARA 50 - performance under sail ?

I have no information.. but I want to subscribe to this thread as I'm very interested in the Isara line...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 14:12   #3

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

I expect she will be definitely well on the luxury side of performance.

Who is the designer and what is his pedigree of performance sailing cats??
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:13   #4

Jean Jacques Coste is the Naval Architect, you can't get better than him!
They told me the 50 they had at the show weighs 17 tons, that's half the weight of the comparable sized Lagoon, if its true!
It looks like they know what they are doing, by the look of the boat. Be interesting to see the 45 when it comes out....
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule View Post
They told me the 50 they had at the show weighs 17 tons, that's half the weight of the comparable sized Lagoon, if its true!
It looks like they know what they are doing, by the look of the boat. Be interesting to see the 45 when it comes out....
And almost twice the weight of some other 50 footers. eg O51, and more than twice the weight of some custom Schionnings and the like, so whilst it might be lighter than a lagoon, it aint light
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:33   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule View Post
Erik Larouge Brazapi 50 at 10 tons, Chris White Atlantic 57 at 13 tons, Schionning 58' Waterline at 10 tons…

Seems to me like you can not only get better naval architects, but larger and lighter boats.

BTW, I had to google Jean Jacques Coste - guess I'm just not up on my top tier NA's. Seems like the Isara is the first boat under 100' for him?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 15:17   #7

Re: ISARA 50 - Performance Under Sail?

Sailing performance still unknown??
Old 12-03-2014, 15:40   #8

Down Under.... Are there even any posters here who own one?
Old 12-03-2014, 18:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Down Under.... Are there even any posters here who own one?
I doubt it. Aren't many in the water yet and the thread is attempting to find there performance under sail. I was hoping someone with one would turn up.

Cheers.
Old 12-03-2014, 18:42   #10

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

With ISARA 50 hull # 1 at the Miami boat show.This boat has a long way to go to get any feed back on its performance.

It may take a few more years to get the real story on these boats.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 18:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
With ISARA 50 hull # 1 at the Miami boat show.This boat has a long way to go to get any feed back on its performance.

It may take a few more years to get the real story on these boats.
Hmmmm... something is amiss here. A poster on another thread mentioned they saw the Isara 50 at Annapolis. ... And it was finished. The one at Miami wasn't finished. ..so that one couldn't have been hull one. ... Right? Or am I confused?
Old 14-03-2014, 08:16   #12

Boat: Antares 44i

Here's the information I've been able to glean on the Isara. It's a very beautiful boat. The 50 probably will be very popular in the charter market if it sails well. Even if it sails well, it may not work as well for liveaboards due to lack of storage and ventilation, or water sailing">blue water sailing until it's better set up for rugged long-distance cruising. For example, walking around the 50 at dock was one thing, but there were no handholds at all along the side passages - a MOB waiting to happen.
We've reviewed what plans we can see and we toured the 50' boat at the boat show. Ventilation in the saloon may be limited with so little openable windows/hatches. That's fine if you want to keep the AC running all the time, as they were doing at the show, but that's not practical for liveaboard/blue water sailing.
The galley looks pretty, but are the fridge/freezer (which are front-loading) practical or sufficient?
The berths were suprisingly low in the cabins so very little storage underneath, and no views of anything but sky thru the windows. The beds were less comfortable than the Outremer and less well set up in the cabins.
There seemed to be a lot of wasted space throughout the Isara 50 - large, but not well-utilized space, i.e. not maximizing storage as a sailboat should.
I've been able to find absolutely no one who has sailed the Isara so far. Even the sailor who brought her down from Ft Lauderdale to Miami in February said they motored (and given that the mast wasn't even on the boat, it was just a big motorboat at that point).
Every time the boat goes to a boat show, it's freightered in. Even the Royal Cape Catamaran was sailed to Miami from So.Africa. But not the Isara.
Sales: The first 50 was in Annapolis last year as a straight diesel Yanmar. The second hull was in Miami. Supposedly hull #1 sold, but where is it? Hull #2, also not the hybrid version, was supposedly being commissioned for a Texan who would be picking it up in Florida after the boat show. I do hope we get some videos or other evidence of how she handles under sail.
Why did J.J.Coste take the Isara off his website last year - Design Catamaran-Yachts Design-Luxury catamaran-Coste Design-Naval architecture-Boat builder design Is this an indication that he no longer is proud of the design enough to keep his name attached to it?
At least one brave couple have ordered a 45. I hope their courage is rewarded because the designs of the aft, the davits, etc. are not even finalized.
The Isara could be the breaking edge of the best in new catamaran designs, or it could be a failure. We are shopping for a 45-50' cat, which is why we considered this attractive looking boat. In the end, we felt that reliability, proven performance, function and form over looks were better factors on which to base our decision. I do hope Isara succeeds...it's just a big unknown at this point.
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 08:22   #13

Boat: Antares 44i

What Cris of Isara told me in Miami last month was that Hull #1 (from Annapolis) was sold, and Hull #2, in Miami, was also sold and would be commissioned right after the show. Both hulls did not have the Hybrid motors, just standard Yanmar. Beautiful looking boat...just don't have any data yet on how it sails or holds up.
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 13:38   #14

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

Just a few corrections of facts for this thread:

1. Hull #1 of the I50 was indeed in the Annapolis boat show, but in 2012.
2. The beds in Hull 1 were not low as in hull 2: the boat is customizable; whatever the customer wants (same with refrig, davits, etc etc)
3. Actually there are at least 3 "brave" people who have orderded an I45. At least one of those being the hybrid version.

~Cheers
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 15:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
Just a few corrections of facts for this thread:

1. Hull #1 of the I50 was indeed in the Annapolis boat show, but in 2012.
2. The beds in Hull 1 were not low as in hull 2: the boat is customizable; whatever the customer wants (same with refrig, davits, etc etc)
3. Actually there are at least 3 "brave" people who have orderded an I45. At least one of those being the hybrid version.

~Cheers
Bry.... did you get they hybrid version? I know I have mixed feelings on the Isara.. but I am very excited to about the hybrid engines... Would you hurry up and get that thing built already!!!!!!

Tags
sail