Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2009, 05:46   #136
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I note in a different thread this was Christians advice to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Factor, perhaps you should go back and read the original post...and then dont.
So Christian - perhaps you should go back and read the thread title and then post in answer to the question,
Old 16-07-2009, 05:50   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Gentlemen,

If we can't play nice we will close the pool.

Thank you
Old 16-07-2009, 05:53   #138

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Please close the thread!
Old 16-07-2009, 05:53   #139

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
No, the only BS being spread around here is by multihullers who dared suggest that their boats are seaworthy
Hey, I totally agree! Cats flip all the time! I was renting this 14' Hobie, and the damn thing turned turtle on me! Sliced my bare foot on the hull to deck joint too! Man, I hate those multihulls.
Something like that would NEVER happen to my 42' monohull. My boat would roll, pop right back up, and keep on sailing...all the while drying off my freshly laundered sails! Especially if I was streaming warps, which I normally do. Well, fenders actually...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 16-07-2009, 06:02   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
So Christian - perhaps you should go back and read the thread title and then post in answer to the question,
I did. My first post was #25. What part of my post didn't you get? I simply posted a way for the OP to contact one of the most knowledgeable multihull sailors on this forum. Someone whos done it. I believe it was helpful. Do you have a problem with that?

Every post after that has just been kidding with the moderators. Sorry to inject humour into this forum. Where's your sense of it? Did it turn turtle?

Old 16-07-2009, 06:05   #141
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Every post after that has just been kidding with the moderators. Sorry to inject humour into this forum. Where's your sense of it? Did it turn turtle?
No - it sank
Old 16-07-2009, 06:06   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
No - it sank
Good one! I'll give ya that!

Old 16-07-2009, 06:25   #143

Boat: Wants to build 42'Horstman Trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvanpatten View Post
I have never sailed on a Cat before... looking at something in the 42-45' range probably. Planning on going from San Diego to the Virgin Islands. Its just two of us. Ive sailed a few thousand miles on both a Down East and a Beneteau and felt comfortable in weather. But a Cat just doesnt look like it would be as stable in rough weather?? I really dont know anything about them yet...

We like the idea of a Cat because we plan on spending 5 years and like the room.

I would appreciate any thoughts!

Mate, I just got'a ask, are you really a 'Dorothy Dix Question'? Nooo, I'm sorry you're obviously been shocked by the Multihull trollers,,, sneuman's 23 marathon post, the old favourite Joli and his 'where's your race results' and now demanding 'show me your sailing log'. Add a bit of spice there is Catty who one must wonder...to whom he belongs,,,topped off with (all due respects), a mod cracking jokes one minute and telling we can't use the word 'pedantic' next...Welcome Sir kevinvanpatten to the darkside, great to have your abroad... tongaboys......where's FastCat?
Old 16-07-2009, 06:35   #144
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Frank, I'm with Scott on this one. Please close the thread. Can anyone really suggest that anything productive is being discussed; or rather, that anything is being discussed productively?

Brad
Old 16-07-2009, 06:48   #145

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Good job guys!

kevinvanpatten, if he really exists must have read some/all of these posts and ran away from CF as fast as his little packets could carrying him.

Kevin, if you are out there let us know if you got ANYTHING worthwhile from this slugfest.
Old 16-07-2009, 06:48   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Frank, I'm with Scott on this one. Please close the thread. Can anyone really suggest that anything productive is being discussed; or rather, that anything is being discussed productively?

Brad
agreed. the original poster seems to have done a hit and run anyway. not sure after all this nonsense about who can and who can't post here, who's qualified and who's not, doubt he'll ever be back.

some of us can keep a civil tone and stick to the facts, others have trouble in that area.
Old 16-07-2009, 06:50   #147

Boat: deboated
SOUTHERN STAR - as I have pointed out previously cats are very expensive compared to monohulls. The same arguments about there ++s are given all the time such as they do not sink, more room, sail upright etc. But what about the price?? The silence is deafening! Like a lot of things in life if you have the money then you can buy all sorts of toys and comfort items but the reality for most is a modest income which makes a large difference to most people's thinking. Yes a nice Cat sailing flat with lots of room to party etc would be nice but unaffordable for most and it would be nice if you Cat lovers kept that in mind before blowing your trumpet.
Old 16-07-2009, 06:59   #148

Actually I think everyone has been very civil. We may disagree but there have been few disagrable comments.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:54   #149
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Joli is correct. Compared to some past threads this one's just a walk in the park. We should know as we both posted in those blood baths of long ago.

Bottom line, if mono guys don't want a cat, then for God's sake, don't buy one. But do not tell the forum readers that our boats aren't safe. We know better.

As for Cat boat prices... blame yourselves. It's you mono guys who are driving the prices of our boats up...not us. So quit buying so many Catamarans and the prices will level out.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:55   #150
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Meyermm, I have not been 'blowing my trumpet'. I have not suggested that cats are superior to monos with respect to safety, nor even that they are better suited for all sailing conditions, or all sailors. I have only suggested that cats ARE safe for world cruising.

Is cost an issue for most boat buyers? Of course. And yes, many monohulls tend to give more bang for the buck than many monohulls, especially in the used market. However, that was not the question posed in this thread.

Like many of us on this site, I LOVE boats. Always have, alway will. I do not denigrate monohulls and indeed, have written before that I will likely own another some day for short day and occasional overnights sails. (And no, don't take that as a suggestion that I think them inferioir for extended cruising - its just that a cat is superior for my present needs).

To me, no boat is more attractive than a 'classic' mono with some overhangs, a sweet shear, some touches of teak and a cozy, well-finished cabin. Indeed, in my opinion, nothing replaces the instant feedback provided by the inreased heel one gets from a puff when sailing to windward in a monohull. To me many monohulls are, for want of a better term, more sensual and less appliance - like than many catamarans. (Although I must confess, I do not find multihulls inherently ugly, as some monohullers suggest - in my eyes, there is something futuristic, almost 'Millenium Falcon' cool about many of them).

The sad thing, to me, is that we tend to end up polarized when we discuss anything that calls for a comparison between monos and multihulls. We love boats and accordingly, most of us don't just own our current boats, we have love-affairs with them. Just as with our lovers, there is a natural tendancy to be blind to some failings and to overstate some positives. It is part of the human condition.

But denigrating someone (or if you prefer, something) that someone else loves is bound to bring about a combative response. I think we should all take a deep breath and recognize how lucky we are to have and to hold the beautiful ladies that take us to sea. To recognize that the next person is bound to feel the same way about his own special lady; and, to try to remember that simple truth before we point out that she might be a little overweight, or a little less agile etc. than our own.

I guess what I am saying is that we should temper our comments and try not to express our opinions as absolutes, especially when they are, or can be taken as a generic slur. Please don't get me wrong, I know that I have been found wanting in that regard as well, from time to time. But ultimately, who knows sin better than the sinner?

Brad
Closed Thread