Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2009, 15:55   #121

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Not overly so, but I did find the upwind pounding (through a mere 4-foot chop) to be less than ideal and not as comfortable as on a well-found mono. It didn't even take me that long to realize the boat would remain intact despite the intermittent KABOOM! under the bridge deck.
A design fault (low bridgdeck clearance) on one cat does not mean that all cats have this issue.

D
Old 15-07-2009, 16:01   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
They all seem to agree that beating in anything other than mild wind is to be avoided which is something I had not heard before.
Nor I,
Interestingly enough, I observed over many years, monohulls motoring up and down the QLD coast in what I considered (in my then sailing cat) ideal sailing conditions.

During this time I rarely saw a cat motoring.

D
Old 15-07-2009, 16:06   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Also, it seems to be the mono crowd who are expecting 200 mile days from 35 foot ex charter cats, sailed by complete novices. Weird.
Dont forget the short rig-reduced sail plan, dirty bum, tired or poorly cut sails and possibly dragging a fixed blade prop and a heavyweight dinghy.

D
Old 15-07-2009, 16:46   #124

Boat: Wants to build 42'Horstman Trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
There is a fellow in my marina that bought a cat because his wife wanted one. When she wouldn't sail with him anymore he sold it and is back on a monohull.

So is this a joke?.... boom, boom!!! ...tongaboys
Old 15-07-2009, 17:35   #125
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott730 View Post
sneuman
It does get tiring having to reply to posts that are blantantly false, that some people that are new to this forum might take as factual. I really wish it would just stop. If someone really doesn't like Catamarans, fine. But for us that do, please leave us alone.
Agreed. What bothers me is the wild claims based on no evidence, of which there have been plenty here from the pro-catamaran crowd too.
Old 15-07-2009, 17:36   #126
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
A design fault (low bridgdeck clearance) on one cat does not mean that all cats have this issue.

D
I was simply describing my experience, not generalizing to a whole class.
Old 15-07-2009, 17:43   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Something I have said all along. I realize my cat's weakness, and I work around that just like any other boat owner will try to do.
This may be the one common thread between all boats. There are weaknesses in all boats and all sailors. You need to know your own limitations as well as your boat limitations in order to tackle difficult situations. The test is about what you avoid and not what you take on. From time to time you can be lucky (it still counts) but it is no way to live your life and live to tell the tale.

If you combine the limits of boats with the limitations of sailors all the mono vs cat arguments are mostly all BS. There are enough limits between the two to make me say no one is that good to argue the difference. Being lucky is no way to argue a point either. We all choose to go where we will.

Some stuff is easy and it would be in all our interest if it really was. Speculation is easy. Assertion is mostly arrogance. All the things you decided not to try are the things that mattered more than the times you were lucky. I've been lucky a lot and they are not the things I'm most proud of even if I can take the push when it comes my way. The difference is skill is not luck. When you find yourself too lucky it's time to rein in the arrogance. Knowing the difference between luck and wisdom is mostly the whole test.
Old 15-07-2009, 19:15   #128

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
You need to know your own limitations
I'm almost certain Dirty Harry said this first...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 15-07-2009, 20:15   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
You keep telling this lie and I will keep calling you on it. It didnt capsize and a 38 is not a 35 (extended at the stern), are you wilfully telling porkies for some sort of fun, or ??

How about we measure safety by deaths. How many dead multihullers recently - say the last 10 years or so. I can think of at least 12 dead monohullers.

Mr Factor, I am uncertain weather you have "learning difficulties" but if you do please say so that we can make allowances. I'll assume that you do and humour you regarding the bee in your bonnet over which part of the lightwave 35 was modified to make the 38 ( i'm unsure what this has to do with this thread but you seem to think it has).

Does this shed any light on my assumptions.....Sailing Magazine | Lightwave 38. Taking special note of this.......
"The details
The Lightwave 38 and its near identical 35-foot sister-ship (the only difference is that the 38’s hulls are extended aft for more hull speed) are built by Overell Stanton Yachts on Australia’s Gold Coast. "

The boat ended upside down ie capsized, now there was some conflicting reports regarding weather it struck the bottom or not. The informed discussion was it did not. Taking into account the owners inexperience and the laws of physics and damage done its hard to see how it did. I suspect if you want to discuss this further why not start another thread on this fine forum and not tie this one up?
Old 15-07-2009, 22:03   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Magnum Force (1973)

Bit of a worry when quotes from fictitious characters guide our lives.

Old 16-07-2009, 02:05   #131

Boat: Wants to build 42'Horstman Trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
There is a fellow in my marina that bought a cat because his wife wanted one. When she wouldn't sail with him anymore he sold it and is back on a monohull.
joke....eh,eh,eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Did he buy two monohulls? :-)
punch line....,lolololo
Old 16-07-2009, 05:00   #132

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Bit of a worry when quotes from fictitious characters guide our lives.

I wish I knew how to limit the BS that gets spread around this forum every time someone starts up this "Cat vs. Mono" thing.

BTW, Boracay...That was perfect! Can you find a clip we can post every time the "Guns aboard" thing gets started up? How 'bout Dirty Harry's take on anchors?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 16-07-2009, 05:19   #133
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Mr Factor, I am uncertain weather you have "learning difficulties" [/FONT]
No I don't - but I do voluntary work for an organisation that helps kids that do - and you comment is - as usual - inappropriate.

For the record - Post Grad Uni - and you
Old 16-07-2009, 05:41   #134
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I Don't know Christian, I don't see any BS being spread around. Contributions like Meyermann's "most cat owners like the idea of sailing, but not the work" are helpful and factually based. Similarly, Sneuman's "a multi is not the panacea that everyone advertises" is also accurate - everyone of the mulithull owners on this thread has said either directly, or by implication, that their boats are the panacea for all problems in sailing. Well, maybe none, but that's close enough.

Of course, there was also the helpful and logically derived post suggesting that one wouldn't do extended offshore sailing in a cat without being surrounded by a flotilla of boats to come to the rescue. Sound advice.

No, the only BS being spread around here is by multihullers who dared suggest that their boats are seaworthy, or that they have some advantages (for example, in one silly post a cat owner pointed out that there was redundancy of some minor systems like rudders and engines - the retort that it means twice the maintenance is, of course, precisely the position taken by aircraft designers when it comes to redundancy and precisely the reason no monohuller would ever have emergency tillers, backup halyards or a backup GPS).

No, there is no BS here, especially from the monohull crowd. Only thoughtful analysis and factually-based commentary.

Brad
Old 16-07-2009, 05:44   #135

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Factor
Don't let the jerk suck you in to a fight. Just remember, a cat (catty) loves a scratching match. Nobody wins in one of those.
Closed Thread