Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2015, 18:23   #406

Re: Is there a catamaran of cruising size that can self right unaided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The pub might explain it? It seems as though you have raised the ire of people with more knowledge than me.
To what point? The whole thing seems senseless.
The point is this. If you agree with that hierarchical list you could then appreciate better why the mono sailor is risk adverse. On each level of that list the cat is not able to go beyond the limit for a jot or be as equally tolerant to anomaly but it should be able to. Seriously why not?

Every one who decides to buy a gun boat with foils needs a support boat. You can hire a mono with minimum qualification but not a cat unless it has had its balls chopped off.

There are many that want a cat but don't want the risk. I would love a fast cat but I cant see the point if I can not put it into top gear because if I spin out Its written off.

The technology is there to at least provide solution for two thirds of that list and I thinks that now we have foils we will start to see it come into play quickly.
Old 21-05-2015, 18:38   #407

With the answer to the OP's question being...No.... i can only assume the other 40 pages of comments must be what is known as "thread hijacking".
I have learned more from this thread about human behavior than i have of ballast, righting moments and stability.

Andy

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-05-2015, 18:53   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
No I see it very differently. I greatfully learnt early on that the most important thing in offshore sailing is to know what you dont know (with a nod to rumsfeld). From that starting point you can then begin to learn with humility from those that know more. Its not a pastime you can bluff your way through with a bit of bravado and she'll be right mate attitude.

Im still learning and happy to admit that i will be for decades yet and to share what i do know with those that dont have a chip on their shoulder.

Condescension? hardly - this thread has so many posts because there is one or 2 argumentative types on it that dont want to accept some wisdom from guys like Dave et al.

Im not gonna waste any more keyboard taps on it

argue on if you like...
Dave has not commanded anyone to listen. He has positioned his "own" opinion and others have tested that opinion and in doings so they may have formed a revised opinion that they will carry forward into other conversation where Dave's opinion will be disseminated for the benefit of others. That is how knowledge is exchanged, what forum is for and is how the Dave's of this world get rewarded for their engagement in dialogue.
Old 22-05-2015, 02:00   #409

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post
opportunity for "cruiser" catamaran crash on order of likely hood.

1, racing. 2, novice use. 3, sudden squall. 4, gybe mistake. 5, running too fast(pitch pole). 6, big seas -

There are 4 things here that don't need high sea state that would kill a cat and not a mono. (Don't flak the mono reference like a machine gun please - just ignore the mono reference if it pisses u off)

Would people agree this list is correct?
No. For "offshore cruising" all except 6 are just applications for the next Darwin award.

I could elaborate on this just as the folks have done before but you won't listen.

Get a life...
Old 22-05-2015, 02:09   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
I greatfully learnt early on that the most important thing in offshore sailing is to know what you dont know (with a nod to rumsfeld).
Since the beginning of this thread this is exactly what I thought, too. The TS doesn't even know that he knows nothing about the subject.

But I think the original quote is a bit older than Rumsfeld. Back in school I learnt
"ipse se nihil scire id unum sciat"
"The one thing I know is that I know nothing"

The one thing Latin is good for is showing off
Old 22-05-2015, 03:50   #411
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I really have to commend Paul here for keeping up the fight. Are you on vaction this week or recently retired?
Old 22-05-2015, 05:08   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I really have to commend Paul here for keeping up the fight. Are you on vaction this week or recently retired?
No,... I am doing some software testing and during process runs I need to do something interesting to keep from going bonkers as can't move away from this terminal because I don't know when the jobs will finish running.

Doing something called a migration. big one.

This or facebook I guess and I don't like kittens.
Old 22-05-2015, 05:32   #413
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I was thinking... may be we can help the poor cat owners by adapting jet fighter ejection seats for use on cats. It can be automated by combining it with the automatic anti-flip devices so that when these indicate pending failure to prevent flip, the crew is safely ejected. This also eliminates the need for those escape hatches they have in their bottoms!

Old 22-05-2015, 05:48   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Since the beginning of this thread this is exactly what I thought, too. The TS doesn't even know that he knows nothing about the subject.

But I think the original quote is a bit older than Rumsfeld. Back in school I learnt
"ipse se nihil scire id unum sciat"
"The one thing I know is that I know nothing"

The one thing Latin is good for is showing off
Here is a quote that I like,

"Some people have something to say and others just like to be heard"

You have been heard...

I find it rather weird and possibly pathological when people continue to invest time on something that clearly gets their goat. There are 100's of threads rabbi. You are not forced to stay on this one. Maybe you secretly enjoy this one though for some undisclosed reason.

Here is another quote for your collection but I must apologise for not translating it to Latin first.

"Smart people don't think other's are stupid"...
Old 22-05-2015, 05:53   #415

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

PROBLEM SOLVED!

For those SCARED of catamarans, there is special pricing available this summer for this "Catamaran Capsize Resolution Rig" (available in a variety of colors to match your boat!!). They are including a free tow strap customized to fit the aft mooring cleats on your cat!!!

Be sure to read the literature and get the model that works in 40+' seas!!! You certainly want to cover the highly desirable 'fringe areas', including the North Atlantic in January!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRANEweb1-master675.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	102556  
Old 22-05-2015, 05:56   #416

Quote:

You have been heard...

I find it rather weird and possibly pathological when people continue to invest time on something that clearly gets their goat. There are 100's of threads rabbi. You are not forced to stay on this one. Maybe you secretly enjoy this one though for some undisclosed reason.

Here is another quote for your collection but I must apologise for not translating it to Latin first.

You forgot one....

"Those only thought to be a fool will eventually open their mouth and remove all doubt!"
Old 22-05-2015, 05:56   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED!

For those SCARED of catamarans, there is special pricing available this summer for this "Catamaran Capsize Resolution Rig" (available in a variety of colors to match your boat!!). They are including a free tow strap customized to fit the aft mooring cleats on your cat!!!

Be sure to read the literature and get the model that works in 40+' seas!!! You certainly want to cover the highly desirable 'fringe areas', including the North Atlantic in January!!!

yeh,.. but but.. Has this crane got a crane?
Old 22-05-2015, 05:58   #418

The universe began when nothing saw itself in the mirror...
Old 22-05-2015, 05:58   #419

Quote:
yeh,.. but but.. Has this crane got a crane?
Doesn't need one, it's a MONOHULL!!!!
Old 22-05-2015, 06:10   #420

Quote:

You have been heard...

Sometimes I enjoy a pissing contest.

I never called you stupid. I actually never thought you were stupid, you are too eloquent for that. I thought you were either making fun of us or that you have some hidden agenda.
Now I see that you just have too much time to kill.

Out of the box thinking is often good. Without it we would still believe the earth is flat as a pancake and would be afraid of falling off the edge.
But sometimes it's just plain wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, cruising, size