Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-10-2013, 17:05   #31

Boat: R.WOODS 36ft CATAMARAN
Re: Is it difficult to find multihull dock space?

Gulf coast Florida is exactly as you describe. The city of Clearwater built a new Marina. They did not include a single slip or dock that can accommodate Catamarans. Basically Marinas here are brain dead.

Old 25-10-2013, 08:02   #32

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

We sailed our cat 11metre x 4.8 meter from Scotland via Ireland,portugal,Spain all islands across to Greece and Cyprus at any Marina we paid a max surcharge of 50% some were a little less.

Hope this helps. Try to anchor if you can.

Peter

Old 25-10-2013, 10:30   #33

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Allways room for a cat
Love that photo of Herding Cats!!
Can I use it on my website?
Old 25-10-2013, 14:37   #34

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Love that photo of Herding Cats!!
Can I use it on my website?
I think so, but better ask where I stold it, here: Catamarans Cup international regatta by Istion Yachting
Old 13-11-2013, 09:44   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

This is an interesting thread to cheap mono guys like myself. Question- what about tris that fold? Are they automatically charged extra even though they fold going into the marina into a "normal" width?
Old 13-11-2013, 11:39   #36

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

From my experience at Marinas here in Norfolk VA, if it fits in a standard slip, one is charged the standard rate. I have friends with a Corsair and they pay the standard, uninflated rates. Hope this helps.
Old 13-11-2013, 11:51   #37

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38

We've never been charged more for a guest slip and haven't really had any problem finding a guest slip or mooring. We do usually get stuck outside the harbor when we go to avalon, which is actually preferred for me because maneuvering through those rows of tightly packed boats inside the harbor is not exactly the easiest to do.

As for finding a permanent home, that is a hard thing to do here on the west coast of the US. Typically you will pay about twice as much as a mono hull, typically the waiting lists are months to years long, and good luck if you want a live aboard slip as I think there are probably a total of two on the entire west coast that would accomidate a multi-hull.
Old 13-11-2013, 17:00   #38

Boat: 2006 Hunter 44 AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
We've never been charged more for a guest slip and haven't really had any problem finding a guest slip or mooring. We do usually get stuck outside the harbor when we go to avalon, which is actually preferred for me because maneuvering through those rows of tightly packed boats inside the harbor is not exactly the easiest to do. As for finding a permanent home, that is a hard thing to do here on the west coast of the US. Typically you will pay about twice as much as a mono hull, typically the waiting lists are months to years long, and good luck if you want a live aboard slip as I think there are probably a total of two on the entire west coast that would accomidate a multi-hull.
That's sobering....
Old 13-11-2013, 17:07   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

natew, hyperbole is not a good thing on this forum. There are a number of available multi slips in San Diego, alone. Get your facts straight before passing your wisdom to others.
Old 13-11-2013, 17:28   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
natew, hyperbole is not a good thing on this forum. There are a number of available multi slips in San Diego, alone. Get your facts straight before passing your wisdom to others.
Ok, well I am not saying that are none. But at what cost, what facilities, what location? There are, indeed, probably a hundred marinas in California. There are certainly spaces available, and I won't claim to have called all of them, but what I have found is you have two choices. You either have a crummy marina in which you will likely want to remove anything not bolted and glued down when you leave along with probably cable locking your dock lines and fenders OR you end up paying an arm and a leg for the space in a nicer marina. For instance, a space for a 40' multi-hull in Kona Kai marina will run you around $800/mo though they are indeed not significantly more expensive. Sunroad Marina will run you $1360/mo for an end tie for a multi or $760 for a mono the same lenght (close to double). And that's in San Diego, one of the largest harbors on the west coast, if not in the entire country.

Try calling a marina in Los Angeles, or any of the ones here in Ventura, or Morro Bay or San Francisco. You'd be lucky if they don't just hang up on you when you tell them you are looking for an end tie or you have a beam of 22'. And as far as timing to get a slip, I was talking with a guy in Long Beach a few weeks ago who told me that the waiting list for any End Tie or wide beam slip was atleast 2 years long. Let's not even talk about Santa Barbara where you'd have to pay around a hundred grand or more for the right to rent an end tie and/or go on their 5+ year waiting list for ANY slip.

And nearly all marinas I've been in contact with have discountined any live aboard slips and when you do find marinas that allow live aboards you will likely find that all the end ties are taken by multi-hull live aboards.

What I did not mention is that you CAN indeed find private docks, usually attached to houses which, typically can accomidate a multi-hull for a reasonable price but they can be fairly difficult to find.

More to the point of the thread, to answer directly. I wouldn't expect to sail into any marina on the west coast and ask for a permenant slip for a multi-hull and expect to get one. Could it happen? Yes, are there some spaces available? Probably. Could you afford them and will they be where YOU want to be? I'll leave that up to you to decide.

So, to be perfectly clear you certainly CAN find space for a multi-hull on the west coast but expect to pay for it in either leg work to find it or in cold hard cash.
Old 13-11-2013, 18:00   #41

Out of bordem, I just did a visual scan using google maps of all the marinas in San Diego for open multi-hull capable slips. I counted 5, and atleast two of them were marginal as to wether or not a multi would be allowed in that space. And for that matter those five spaces could have had their boats out for the day. Of course google maps is not the most up to date source of information on this subject and I could have missed one or two more but short of spending my day calling everyone that's the info that I have available right now. The west coast is hardly flush with wide beam marina slips.

The other problem not mentioned that you tend to run into, especially with end ties.. Is that end ties tend to be on the longer side, sometimes 50-60+ ft in length. If you'd like to occupy a 60ft end tie with your 40+ trimaran because it won't fit in a normal slip don't expect most marinas to charge you for a 40ft boat. Expect them to charge you for the 60ft slip length, plus the end tie surcharge.

Of course if you have different info as to availability of slips, I am currently in the market for a live aboard slip in California that will accomidate a 38' tri with a 22'6" beam. Would also prefer it not to cost me $2000+/month.
Old 13-11-2013, 18:02   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Again, Chula Vista Marina and the other marinas in South Bay have immediate slips for multihulls, and you named some more closer to the Point (the Kona Kai is hardly a bad neighborhood). Do you have some inside knowledge regarding the safety of our local slips? It doesn't seem to be circulating on our local networks.

I'm just saying that everyone I know has been able to find a space. It just takes some investigation and diligence for the very best spots. It's not as impossible a task as you lead folks to believe.

P.S.: I'm paying about $600 a month for a liveaboard slip in Shelter Island.
Old 13-11-2013, 18:08   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Again, Chula Vista Marina and the other marinas in South Bay have immediate slips for multihulls, and you named some more closer to the Point (the Kona Kai is hardly a bad neighborhood). Do you have some inside knowledge regarding the safety of our local slips? It doesn't seem to be circulating on our local networks.

I'm just saying that everyone I know has been able to find a space. It just takes some investigation and diligence for the very best spots. It's not as impossible a task as you lead folks to believe.

P.S.: I'm paying about $600 a month for a liveaboard slip in Shelter Island.
That's a heck of a deal, care to share what marina? And do they have space?

Also most of the security comments were in regards to marinas in the greater LA area, there are some shady marinas there. Though when I was down there a month or so again and applied for an A??? something permit for the anchorage there I was warned by the harbor patrol to take everything with me as the neighboring anchorage scum was well known for boarding neighboring boats and helping themselves.
Old 13-11-2013, 18:13   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Southwestern Yacht Club on Shelter Island. You can Google Map it. Better yet, come over to visit and we'll have a beer in the bar and share info. One of our members is the dockmaster at the Chula Vista Marina, and she can probably be of greater assistance. Send me a PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: