Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2012, 12:13   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Is feasible to buy a used Cat (40/44 feet) in great conditions for US 300K?

If you were buying straight from Charter (or even thinking of buying to put in) - maybe an idea to have a vacation aboard one on it's last year (with the intended company) and have a damned good poke around / sea trial......In any event, I would be very surprised if any boat moved from sound enough to still be commercially viable to completely fooked within a week of decommissioning .......even if obviously not factory fresh that reflected in price (hopefully!).

To my mind the advantage of a boat out of charter would be that the principal areas of concern (from that activity) would be pretty predictable to check, whereas an owner cared for boat not only relies on the owner knowing ass from elbow but also having the cash to care. Of course both styles of boat users can come up with a squillion novel ways to not only bugger a boat up, but also on ways to "fix" it ............. In both scenarios the "secret" (as with any boat) is to check everything, and for those things not checked or are uncheckable (before purchase) to accept that you are stuck with taking a punt.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 12:19   #32

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Buy a ticket to Le Marin / Martinique and have a look at how ex-charter boats look like when they leave the charter fleets.
I agree, I need to do that - I may change my opinion when I really see these things in person.

I'm planning a cruise to the caribbean in Feb. Maybe I'll plan on spending one or two of my port days checking out those boats!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 12:30   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I agree, I need to do that - I may change my opinion when I really see these things in person.

I'm planning a cruise to the caribbean in Feb. Maybe I'll plan on spending one or two of my port days checking out those boats!
I'm going to be in Tortola next month. My plan is to take a look at several boats that are currently on the market in the BVI as well as ask about boats that are on track to be sold in the next year or so.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 13:09   #34

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
I'm going to be in Tortola next month. My plan is to take a look at several boats that are currently on the market in the BVI as well as ask about boats that are on track to be sold in the next year or so.

Love to hear about it when you get back. What we really need is a first hand impression. We already have the stats, equipment lists, etc.

Which reminds me, I've imported the Moorings Lagoon's (410 and smaller) into a spreadsheet with the equipment, hull id's, etc. The upshot of that, though, was there is essentially no difference between them except minor variations in brand names of electronics, and a few boats with non-op equipment. PM an e-mail to me if you'd like the spreadsheet.

I was hoping to have a plan by now. I hate to think that I'll still be looking in February.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 05:47   #35

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash

Hi,
I had her sold but the guy had to back out because of a divorcde in progress....So here she is again.
47-FT MAYOTTE/VOYAGE, 1994
panama city, panama $219,000
Motivated seller! New survey says $306,000 value. I say $219,000 and the 1st one there gets her!
I love my wife very much and this is not for her, so am willing to walk away after spending over 2000 hours and lots of $ to get her ready to go.
Many brand new items and systems on Archies Way. Mast, boom, all standing and most running rigging totally rebuilt. New hypalon 11.5 dinghy, watermaker, upolstery,etc. Great for kids, couple or charter. Contact me for all info and photos. This is one of those deals that you will kick yourself for not checking out before it is gone..
It is only a 2.5 hour flight from Miami or Houston.....

garyswenson@hotmail.com
(253) 617-0808
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 06:09   #36

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
If you like charter cats:

Charter boats have a hard live, thats their job. Intensive wear and tear, they are stored for month every year without much care. Charter companies only do emergency fixes if something breaks and change the oil every few months regardless of engine hours. That is what they call maintenance. That is how to maximize revenue, a boat on the dock doesn't earn any money. The low resale value after 5 years is not their problem.

Im not saying every owner boat is perfect. Sometimes you wonder how people can live in certain owner boats.
But the chance of finding a boat in nice shape is IMO better in the owner's market.
I have just bought a 5 year old charter boat and I could not be happier. It passed survey with flying colours, the only significant issue being a rudder bearing needed replacement.

The best thing about it is that the original owner has worn the biggest part of its depreciation. I have got a near new boat for half the price.

I am sure there are charter companies like you describe, that is why you need to look at the reputation of the company. You can usually find out more about a company than an individual.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 14:36   #37

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

I'll second Gary's Mayotte Voyage, great boat. We have had Seapaws 2 since 2005. Look other Voyage's, you may find a 44 in that range. They are great boat too. They get a bad rap for low bridge deck clearance because the original 43 was even lower. I see a 44 for 265,000
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 10:52   #38

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 46lr

Having read this thread its intresting that few people actually look at design and seakeeping ability rather than wheather it has a watermaker or gen set. I guess it depends what sort of usage you intend, but its never fun to have everyone overtaking you (as in lagons etc). You must also remembert that every piece of equipment that you have on board will be in its component parts at some stage. the more equipment, the more time you will spend on maintenance and or technicians on board when you want to catch that weather window, or just go out cruising. The key word is simple. keep it simple and you will be happy. We have no watermaker, but we have never run out of water (4 years 45000miles) we have no washing machine, but then again we are in the tropics so its shorts and t shirts and theres always a laundry handy.
When we purchased we went for safety offshore, simplicity on board and ergonomic living space. The fact that we can easily make 200 mile days and passage plan on 180 (thats with plenty of reading time and no stress) made for enjoyable passages with some exhillaration moments. I am eternally glad that we didnt lug a washing machine, drier, watermaker, surround sound disco, and all the other must haves around the world. Ho Hum, keep it smple and you will have more time and money to enjoy yourselves.
Pegasus SVYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:31   #39

Boat: 40' Leopard

Has anyone talked to gary lately?
I have tried to get in touch with him but no answer
Thanks
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote