Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-04-2009, 12:56   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Originally Posted by jcmcdowell View Post
I've got a furniture and carpentry background- how hard is it to repair the fiberglass over plywood on the searunners?
Not too hard, actually. The first couple of projects a slower going but that is true with any medium.
I'm not opposed to a refit- if it's a true bargain. I'm talking a TRUE BARGAIN, otherwise a spit and polish is all I can afford.
If you let us know your budget, we can keep an eye out for you.

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 07:38   #17

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Searunners for sale

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine

Shows 3 boats for sale at good to amazing prices (IMO) most boat for the money out there...:-) 34' just hit a string of 13's and topped out at 14.4kts on a fully loaded and cruising run last week....self steering off the wind...full main and genny....:0

Oh yea, then we pulled way up inside in flat water over sand 4ft. water... where the deep hulls had to sit outside a roll and roll and roll....... on anchor....what is not to like?

There is a write up here and some good shots for fun.....

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:36   #18

I lived on my A-Arm 31 for over a year. a small family living aboard - no way! cruising with a family-yes! i thankfully have my boat at a military marina in california, so the slip fees are far cheaper than a civilian marina. i had quotes from $15-$25 a foot. a bigger tri would get expensive at the dock. space inside is good for cruising. if you have to work however than all your work clothes have to be on board, this really sucks up the room. if you want to do work on the boat (i rebuilt the aft cabin) than you are incredibly limited in space. we also got to have space for tools, reference books, computer (some) space goes quick. i had a little half sized dorm fridge that i could keep food but that took a lot of space as well. now that i have my house, i have room for all that stuff, the trimaran is actually being worked on, and i have a garage to build trimaran projects (without dripping epoxy or paint on my dress whites or my blankets) cruising the boat is another matter as you dont need all the excess stuff needed from a normal working life. that being said living on the boat allowed me to pay everything off, save up, and buy my house. but it was more like camping out than living

Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
But I wouldn't sell the 31 short as it seems that DaveM does. A sailboat can't be all things. There certainly are disadvantages with larger tris. Single handling, dockage, hauling, even many mooriing fields could be a problem the way they crowd the fields today. Of course sitting at anchor the bigger the better.

Didn't Jim Brown cruise extensively with wife and at least one child? In fact, I was told that the builder of my 31 in France built a 37 but thought it too big for his small family (wife and teenage son) to cruise on so he built my 31 and cruised the West Indies and Great Lakes.

alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote

liveaboard, Searunner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: