Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 08:45   #31

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Is 50 feet too big?

Just my opinion - for a good sized family, a 50' cat would be wonderful. For two people, I think it's waaaay too big unless it's a liveabord or you entertain guests a lot.

A 50' cat feels miles larger than a 50' monohull. Even a 38 foot catamaran can feel too big for two people sometimes. You and your partner stay in the owner's suite on one side, and you have two empty cabins on the other side of the boat. But it's always good to have storage space.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 23:30   #32
Marine Service Provider

I have sailed, lived and worked on my Salina 48 for some years now. The main thing is maintenance and living the boat and feeling it, hearing the sounds it makes and preventing rather than fixing. If things turn bad, just motor to the nearest anchorage, dont fight or you could destroy everything on board, accept defeat when there is no chance. Get the best anchor and 100 meter 12 mm chain along with the best windlass and battery set.

Best years of my life and most of the time sailing just me and my wife, sometimes me alone.

Its up for sale now in San Blas, Panama, if you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewartld View Post
Hello all,

We're looking at buying a cat for long term cruising (3 to 5 years probably) and thinking about some options around the 50' size... favourites now are a new FP Saba 50, a used Privilege Serie 5 (or more likely a used 515), or possibly a St Francis 50.

As well as any comments on the above, I'd appreciate views on the pros and cons of 50' against something in the 44/45' size, especially handling etc There will be just my wife and I on the voyage most of the time with people joining on occasions.

We've limited experience on cats but have happily sailed 50' monohulls and 60' power boats with just the two of us.

Obviously 50' is going to be more expensive to run but this isn't an important consideration and won't be a factor in the decision on size.

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-06-2016, 00:14   #33

Boat: Lagoon 440 OV

We cruise a 45ft Cat, can't see the step up to 50 making much difference in where you can and cannot go.

She will sail a bit quicker and probably pitch a bit less.

One of the major advantages is the ability to have tonnes of solar, wind etc,... and be off the grid and therefore not need to go into harbor. We anchor off almost all the time, it is easier, less stress and with a big anchor and a big dinghy makes life hassle free. Especially in the Med where a lot of the time if you are going into a harbor you are using your own anchor anyway, so what is the difference.

Enjoy.

Have a really solid reliable reefing system, as the main is going to be big.
Old 13-07-2016, 10:55   #34

Is a 50 footer too big?? Well, I used to think so but I sailed on a 65' Cat last year and I got used to it real quick. It's kind of like if you drive a caddy and then go drive a pinto...well it's hard to go back. And, especially if it's a new boat; the boats are lighter, stronger and faster. I'd say as long as it's rigged appropriately for two, pwr windless, pwr winches, pwr etc. and you and the boat get used to each other, you'll have no problem sailing it.
Check out the St Francis 50; it's a beautiful boat and can be single handed. I'm crewing on one to Annapolis for the U.S.A boat show in Oct. Leaving C.T. S.A. around the end of this month. Show up on Oct 6th. and check it out.
Old 13-07-2016, 12:56   #35

I was wondering if you have purchased your SABA yet and if so how has she been so far. Is the quality of the build what you expected and naturally how has the sailing been. I must admit to thinking the SABA is close to the perfect cat for extended blue water cruising although I would have gone for the bowsprit as it adds another winch and a few more sail options ( I think I am correct with that )
lilolme55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 13:19   #36
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Friends always ask how many people it takes to sail my boat. The standard response is: "One is enough until three is too few". To dock takes two unless you're willing to take risks to your and others boats.

IMO, 45 to 50' is perfect.
Old 13-07-2016, 14:48   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

This issue has been brought up several times and some cruisier kept on commenting that anything above 45 ft is not manageable. I totally disagree; as long as you can afford higher cost of maintenance, hauling, marina, etc. bigger cats are always faster, can carry more load and pitch less. Handling is not much different than smaller cats, actually ease of handling depends more on other attributes than the size. Handling a 45 with 2 winches 6 meters away from each other is much more difficult than a one with a autotackle genoa on 58 ft. Likewise, a large cat that has all the winches and lines to the helm station is handled much easier than a smaller cat with no such feature.
I also don't understand why docking is often mentioned as another problem for big cats. If yr wife is simply capable of throwing the line to the coast and fixing the line on a cleat, that's it. The only problem is the docking/undocking of +55 cats with strong side winds. That's why bow thruster for this size of cats can be an option.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 16:44   #38
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I remember watching an Antares 44 circling a fuel dock waiting for a dock hand as it was obvious the wife was unable to make the 5'-6' jump from the deck to the floating dock. Never thought of it before but it is a limiting factor.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 18:59   #39

Boat: 65' cat, sold

[QUOTE=smj;2165871]I remember watching an Antares 44 circling a fuel dock waiting for a dock hand as it was obvious the wife was unable to make the 5'-6' jump from the deck to the floating dock. Never thought of it before but it is a limiting factor.

This shouldn't be a problem for anyone on a cat. Just put the stern next to the dock and your crew can step off and tie the stern off. You can then walk to the bow and hand them the bow line.
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 20:20   #40
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

[QUOTE=fishead;2165978]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I remember watching an Antares 44 circling a fuel dock waiting for a dock hand as it was obvious the wife was unable to make the 5'-6' jump from the deck to the floating dock. Never thought of it before but it is a limiting factor.

This shouldn't be a problem for anyone on a cat. Just put the stern next to the dock and your crew can step off and tie the stern off. You can then walk to the bow and hand them the bow line.

In a perfect or almost perfect scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 20:22   #41

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

In my opinion, if you need to ask the question, then yes, it is too big...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote