Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 14:35   #151

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Introducing the St. Francis 50 mk II: Wayfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Where's yours?
The conversation was between me and TP12, that's A & B, so C your way out of it. His statement was " we do know that he copped grief from people on this forum" wrote TP12.

What do you want me to prove that I said I know?
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 15:26   #152

You said he must be fed up with St Francis. Any proof of that? Evidence even?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 15:55   #153

Quote:
You said he must be fed up with St Francis. Any proof of that? Evidence even?
Elementary dear Watson, he isn't posting about St Francis at all, that can be construed as fed up. There was another buyer of St Francis cats that had problems with St Francis and did post those issues on CF
Old 20-02-2016, 17:11   #154

So a lack of evidence to the contrary is good enough for you? Based on that I can safely assume you hate your own boat as well as your own self, right?

John McEnroe
Old 20-02-2016, 18:11   #155

Quote:
So a lack of evidence to the contrary is good enough for you? Based on that I can safely assume you hate your own boat as well as your own self, right?
You seem to be hell bent on bugging me with your bs, I'm finish entertaining your ego
Old 21-02-2016, 02:14   #156

Wow. I've read it all. Exciting story, at least till new owner disappeared. Finished cat looked great. I might guess there's something happened between builder and buyer.
"I've just spent the last 4 days at Miami... no show. I asked both him and St Francis about seeing the boat as i am in the market.. no response from either." - that's partial proof.

Build thread was great advertisement for the builder, there's no doubt about it.
And builder will be affected by this strange disappearing, not bringing cat to Miami show. Everyone has Internet, every potential buyer will find this thread.

As it very often happens, could be "it's all about money"...It's just a guess, of course.
Hugh could claim that MK2 - his design (and in many terms it is, right?) and...you've got an idea.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 02:51   #157

And one more comment regarding electric drive. It can be done now, no need to wait 5 years. Tesla has 500ps motor in it and all other required parts (including battery). So it only takes one wrecked Tesla (less than $20k) to get all the parts and good programmer to convert electronics for boat needs. Imagine cat flying for a few hours per day (power can be limited at any number if needed). Mount few more solar panels and few wind generators to charge batteries, and you can enjoy some silent "flight" everyday. Let say, average combined power of all solar panels and wind generators will be 4kW. In 8 hours you might get 32kWh of energy. Some of it will power onboard devices, the rest you can burn for "flying".
I'm surprised that some rich guy haven't done this yet. It would be revolution (a specially, if one will combine this with wingsail). Anyone wants to crowdfund project?
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:42   #158

Quote:
Hugh could claim that MK2 - his design (and in many terms it is, right?) and...you've got an idea.
Interesting thought. I walked around the SF Francis 50 when I was at the Annapolis boat show and a few people were snickering about the MK 2 thing....."I'm gonna wait till they come out with the Mark 149" etc.

To me, there's really nothing to comment on, other than.....

Nice guy, great looking yacht, good builder.....

Not sure if any of the speculation is warranted.
Old 23-02-2016, 05:36   #159

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I think we're going to have to accept that Hugh has better things to do with his time and he doesn't owe anyone anything. No one knows the reasons he hasn't come back but we do know that he copped grief from people on this forum. He has his own reasons for leaving and, I mean, calling him disrespectful for not posting on a forum is more indicative of an inflated sense of entitlement rather than any level of disrespect. In my opinion.
I must admit, as a reader of this from the very start I never noticed any "grief"?? I was like many on here, taken in by his enthusiasm and wanted him to have a great boat at the end of it. I messaged Hugh privately at the time about his boat and made arrangements to meet him in Miami and I was VERY interested. When I heard he may not be attending it was too late for me to cancel the plane tickets so I messaged him.. I got no response.
I wrote to St Francis and Duncan said "Wayfinder is no longer available to be exhibited"... I guess from that, either:

1. Hugh's sick and tired of the grief we've all given him (I can't see that)
2. Hugh doesn't want the publicity (can't see that either)
3. He's no longer prepared to sing the praises of the boat.

To my mind its probably the 3rd. Now.. the speculation as to why is anyone's guess... its probably that he's fallen out with St Francis. This may be due to build quality.. lack of support.. lack of financial reward for showing said boat... caught Duncan in bed with his Mrs.. who knows? who cares? What we know is St Francis makes probably pretty good boats, most owners seem to like them but some have slated them online. Either way we all have to follow our own intuition and gut when spending money like that on a boat.

Personally for me, my interest in St Francis has waned... partly due to Hugh's sudden silence, partly due to Suliere's posts/blog and partly due to what someone else said on here about relying upon a one man band (what happens to your order if anything happens to Duncan?) .. besides.. for me if I get 90% of my needs fulfilled on a boat I choose I won't waste my time worrying about the 10% of difference "that" boat could have made... I'll be, like many people dream of doing... supping down a cold one and enjoying the view.

Heath
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 12:37   #160

How about 4 - he's out sailing and simply can't be bothered?

Is there any indication in his blog that he's dissatisfied with the boat or with St Francis?

John McEnroe
Old 23-02-2016, 14:46   #161
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I'm with 44C - since there is nothing negative on his blog concerning the boat, there is zero reason to jump to that conclusion. It strikes me as far more likely that, as he is now cruising (and continues to write), he has decided that his time is better spent doing that - and updating his blog when he has the time. Why post on multiple sites? Why take time away from cruising/writing to attend the Miami show if his time is better (and more profitably) spent elsewhere? Why post anything at all on CF when some members have taken his absence personally and criticized him for it?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 14:58   #162
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
How about 4 - he's out sailing and simply can't be bothered?

Is there any indication in his blog that he's dissatisfied with the boat or with St Francis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I'm with 44C - since there is nothing negative on his blog concerning the boat, there is zero reason to jump to that conclusion. It strikes me as far more likely that, as he is now cruising (and continues to write), he has decided that his time is better spent doing that - and updating his blog when he has the time. Why post on multiple sites? Why take time away from cruising/writing to attend the Miami show if his time is better (and more profitably) spent elsewhere? Why post anything at all on CF when some members have taken his absence personally and criticized him for it?

Brad
+1

I simply don't get most of the posts here, from people who (a) have zero interest in sailing anything other than a keyboard, or (b) from people who have zero interest in owning a large cruising multi, or (c) from people enjoy putting others down.

Here is a thought, if you really and genuinely wish to get feedback from Hugh about the boat then contact him directly:

here is his website WAYFINDER there is a link to his facebook page etc.

I have no idea whether he thinks the boat is great or not, at this stage the only things he has said about the boat is positive, so until he says something to the contrary, I am going with the fact the he likes the boat and thinks that posting on CF is no longer for him.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 09:03   #163

Boat: L42

I had a chat with Duncan at the Annapolis show and asked him about Wayfinder. He had mentioned Hugh several times and gave him credit for many of the changes to the newest version of the SF 50. He indicated that the exchange rate from US dollar to Rand had fluctuated quite a bit between signing of the contract and final delivery. This fluctuation apparently benefited Duncan quite a bit and did not sit well with Hugh. He didn't want to elaborate any further, but really didn't say anything negative about Hugh and said many nice things about his ideas. There did not appear to be any disputes about the quality of the vessel, at least that I could ascertain from Duncan.

Clearly there was some dispute about this and also very clearly Hugh has steered very clear of discussing anything about his experience or his vessel. That is a real shame because I would love to hear some feedback about many of his choices, some that could apply to any vessel, such as the 24 volt vs 12 volt decision.

At this point I doubt we will ever get an update from Hugh. Take this all for whatever its worth. I certainly wish the best for Hugh and Duncan.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 13:56   #164
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

That's interesting Steve. Did St. Francis have a boat at the show? I've always liked them the best for a new boat manufacturer, considering the cost and quality.

IMO, if you make a contract to pay in another currency, how can you complain about the fluctuation.
Old 19-10-2016, 14:48   #165

SV "Wayfinder" prominent on Hugh's twitter page and web site
latest Youtube post?
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote