Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 11:43   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Introducing the St. Francis 50 mk II: Wayfinder

Well spoken that man.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:48   #92
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So does his blog say the boat is bad?

I have no problem at all understanding why someone would stop posting here. I've come close a few times.

I've had people here claim to know more about my boat than I do. Even though I built my boat, and they've never seen one.

I've had people here claim to know more about the weather I've been sailing in than I do. Even though I was there, and they weren't.

You post a video of your boat sailing here, and you get dickheads saying you've fiddled with the speed log, or (since it's not so easy to fiddle with GPS) there must have been tide with you, or the wind was stronger or in a different direction from the indicated.

Read through the thread about the Seawind 1160 lite, and you'll see the negativity some people keep injecting...

You're getting a new boat built, do you NEED that crap? Do you need or have the time to waste on wankers who, probably through sheer jealousy, constantly keep sniping at your choice of boat?

Sometimes it's more of a surprise that people KEEP posting here, than that they leave...

And if Hugh isn't happy with the boat why wouldn't his blog mention it?

And again, if he wasn't happy, why would he choose to talk about it here over anywhere else?

My point exactly, if he wasn't happy the last place he would talk about it would be here. He doesn't seem to mention the boat on his blog but seems to be having a great time. As I said before, I'm just surprised he hasn't been back to this thread as it covers his enthusiastic commentary on the entire build. CF must have left a sour taste in his mouth for some reason.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 12:09   #93

Just thinking in the abstract here, one obvious reason springs to mind why he'd stay away...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 12:26   #94
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Probably many reasons, we will never know.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 14:08   #95
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'm sure Hugh will be back with some feedback at some stage. It's hard to maintain to much online stuff. Our blog is about a year behind as well. After a pretty hectic few months and with time on his hands during the build, I would also have trouble keeping people updated when there's a lot more fun things to do. Primarily the reason for this thread was to share and bounce some ideas around like minded sailors. Hugh incorporated some of those ideas in Wayfinder and some of us will incorporate them in our boats as well, so it's all good.

"The best lesson I've learned over the last several years is that positivity is to be embraced everywhere possible. Things that aren't positive, if they can be avoided, should be. That doesn't mean avoiding adversity, which is a different thing altogether. There are all kinds of positive adversities in life. Things that make us stronger. Things that help us grow. Things that inform and teach us about ourselves and life.

But I see a lot of effort expended to take things the wrong way, to assume the worst about a human, to take the blackness and bile in our hearts and let it ooze out into the lives of others. For a long time, the normal reaction I felt was to counter negativity with an explanation, or with some positivity. But this can be a full-time job, and it can wear you down. At the very least, it uses up time and energy you could be spending by engaging with someone positive.

I'm finding it so much better and healthier to cull negativity out of my life. Delete negative comments. Block negative people. Basically, walk away from that which can only drag us down. The naturally negative might say that this is choosing to don rose-tinted glasses, to which I would have once replied: Exactly! Except I won't do that anymore. I'll just delete said comments, as I would choose, at a dinner party, to walk away from anyone caustic and go hang out with the people who are laughing, or engaged in a thoughtful discussion, or talking about even controversial subjects with grace and compassion." ~ Hugh Howey
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 21:42   #96
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I'm regularly surprised by the level of entitlement people have and the strength of their convictions based on very little... I shouldn't be, I know, but every now and then someone ups the ante...

Sent from my SM-T520 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 13:17   #97

Well put it in perspective. This thread has 95 comments and over 10,000 views. There's been no crazy posts until recently and it was mostly one poster.

Back to the boat. I really look forward to how these things worked out..
~davits for heavy dink
~48 volt electrical system
~audio/video and how did he setup his network (NAS etc)
~how does she SAIL??

Whenever you get around to it, Hugh. You appear to be having the time of your life. I'm not going anywhere just yet! Lol

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 06:47   #98

Boat: PT-11

I saw him anchored out in front of Staniel Cay in the Bahamas. He was lounging in the cockpit.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 12:16   #99

BAstard! He should have been on his computer, diligently completing this thread.

John McEnroe
Old 23-01-2016, 13:39   #100
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I am sure he was actually quite depressed, between this and the Delos Thread, surely he must be realising that not only did he buy the wrong cat but that that he should have bought a steel gaff rigger, because they are just as quick.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 18:44   #101

Boat: Leopard 48

Per his facebook posts he is spending a lot of time reading in the nude
No mention of having to do any remedial work on the yacht....apart from fixing the holes from the shark bite!
Seems to be perfectly happy.......that must be so frustrating for a lot of folk on this thread
Old 23-01-2016, 18:47   #102

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

I also Fully agree with 44 cruising cat, I will no longer also post on here about my recent Lite experience from Vietnam. Privately I have also received messages from genuinely interested folks which I have endeavoured to reply to as quickly as I could but it's sad to see so many negative bulling online, Most of these people that are so negative would not be game enough to make some of the comments they have made if it had to be done face to face
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 19:04   #103

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
I also Fully agree with 44 cruising cat, I will no longer also post on here about my recent Lite experience from Vietnam. Privately I have also received messages from genuinely interested folks which I have endeavoured to reply to as quickly as I could but it's sad to see so many negative bulling online, Most of these people that are so negative would not be game enough to make some of the comments they have made if it had to be done face to face
Sorry to hear that. I was quite enjoying your experience. I would suggest you carry on and simply ignore the negative. It's beneficial to many who might not otherwise post at all. --
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 21:15   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Sorry to hear that. I was quite enjoying your experience. I would suggest you carry on and simply ignore the negative. It's beneficial to many who might not otherwise post at all. --
Ditto. Ignore the jealous wankers!

John McEnroe
Old 24-01-2016, 00:29   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ditto. Ignore the jealous wankers!
Absolutely!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote