Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 17:37   #46

Re: Introducing the St. Francis 50 mk II: Wayfinder

What is a "Paul episode"?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 17:53   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Not sure what the protocol is here, but earlier in the thread it was brought up. Personally I witnessed in real time at that time, which is why I was keen to continue to hear from Hugh as his build began and continued as I am also in the market for a vessel. The silence since launch alas makes me not even want to further investigations with that particular brand

You can't go from utter enthusiasm from placement of custom speakers, TV's, placement and positions of USB ports....etc to dead silence. Even if there is a reasonable explanation the weight for me has shifted to Leopard as a result regardless.

Google "Suliere" if you really want to know. However 100% the owner in that case is a hard head and prone to flummoxing any which way he steps. Where Hugh would have been to me a true test which so far has failed.

Oh well.
abstract.profor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 17:57   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
Hugh is very active on Facebook. He seems to be having a great time but there is very little talk about the boat there too. You could PM him here or there to find out if indeed his views of the st Francis have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Didn't see the facebook and don't have an account. Originally left him a message on his blog / website parroting what I said above.

Would be genuinely sorry to hear / learn if there are issues he was so happy and proud of the boat and that shone through with every sentence he wrote. From selfish aspect being in the market contemplating boats in this class, I want all the nitty gritty. But as of right now this silence I think tells me enough. That is a Leopard will probably be it for me.
Old 14-01-2016, 17:59   #49

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:

Paul is the owner of a previous st Francis (suliere I believe).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 18:51   #50

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Abstract.Profor, on a different thread you say you have "zero experience with boats of any kind ". Given the above comments it shows. Stick to the lakes and the rivers that you're used to...
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 18:54   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
Abstract.Profor, on a different thread you say you have "zero experience with boats of any kind ". Given the above comments it shows. Stick to the lakes and the rivers that you're used to...
What do you mean?
Old 14-01-2016, 19:12   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract.profor View Post
Not sure what the protocol is here, but earlier in the thread it was brought up. Personally I witnessed in real time at that time, which is why I was keen to continue to hear from Hugh as his build began and continued as I am also in the market for a vessel. The silence since launch alas makes me not even want to further investigations with that particular brand

You can't go from utter enthusiasm from placement of custom speakers, TV's, placement and positions of USB ports....etc to dead silence. Even if there is a reasonable explanation the weight for me has shifted to Leopard as a result regardless.

Google "Suliere" if you really want to know. However 100% the owner in that case is a hard head and prone to flummoxing any which way he steps. Where Hugh would have been to me a true test which so far has failed.

Oh well.
Really? You don't think it's possible the guy is just too busy enjoying his boat, or is perhaps out of internet range, or a multitude of other reasons for not posting here?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 19:20   #53

I probably could have been softer in my comments, but your comments strike me as being cynical, a personality trait that I generally don't jive with. Specifically, what I mean is that you are criticizing one of the top 2-3 best cruising cats ever made. I don't even think this is debatable among rational cruisers.
Old 14-01-2016, 19:23   #54

Let me repharse, it's fine to critisize, but I took your comments as throwing mud where it not need be thrown. Excuse me if I misunderstood.
Old 14-01-2016, 19:41   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract.profor View Post

Oh well.
Thanks for the reply!

As for Hugh choosing to not post any further about his boat on this forum...

I take it as a sign that he's rather post on his blog about his boat than on here. Considering that he's now posting from his boat and internet access might be less than the broadband that most land dwellers enjoy, it seems logical to me that he would confine his postings to Facebook and his blog, both of which are still being updated and still contain posts about his boat.

I don't see any indication that his love for the boat or the builder has waned, he simply isn't posting it here, which indicates nothing. In the past I've been very active on and suddenly left 2 other forums, in both cases it was because I got busy with other aspects of my life and simply moved on. In Hugh's case, between writing, enjoying his boat, updating Facebook and his blog, I'm sure he's pretty busy, in addition to his social life.

It seems like you feel that where there's smoke there's fire, but honestly, I don't even smell a wisp of smoke. I'm also a big fan of Leopard cats (older models) because my price range is going to be in the low $200k range, but if I had $1 M to spend on a boat, so far I'd have to say St Francis is still at the top of my list. Unfortunately, I bought the wrong Lotto tickets recently and my finances aren't any better for it. LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 19:52   #56

I see.

Thanks fellas!

Actually having made my "bit" on the internet and semi-retiring as a result of the "internet" . I can guarantee you with certainty that not all is well with Hugh's purchase.

Every sailor beams and broadcasts their potions and travails from Cape Town to St Helena, through the Doldrums via Trinidad or not to the Caribbean.

Yet nothing. Not a peep here.

Sure things may be so blissful and everything is so fantastic, that all the flurry and blog entries and posts here, not to mention two threads made about the build, were nothing more than panic and anticipation and shear nervousness on Hugh's part. And now that everything is AOK, no need to bother returning to the thread. It can
happen. It could well be.

On immediate review the catalyst in my opinion that shut Hugh Down here was some asked several pages back something to the effect ' how much are they paying you or how much was the discount for you to promote the boat and take it to the boat show'... since then dead silence. All the way through to 2016.

Quite honestly I couldn't give a flying "frig" right now having learnt he was merrily posting on his blog like all is well. As said multiple times now, I am in the market and was weighing the options, this silence pushes me to exactly where I want to be.

Nota Bena: in the future anyone custom making, ordering, commissioning a vessel who creates a thread or blog, have the common decency and courtesy to follow through to the end.

As far as I am concerned as of today's date based on the bizarre replies and non-replies here:

'The introduction of the the St. Francis 50 mk II: Wayfinder' is a dud. A failure. Another. Paul from the UK who had to fight hand and tooth. And I say this with conviction based on nothing more than the lack of courtesy of Hugh Howey the author who so eloquently prose'd his delight in his new vessel, to today where he sits in hiding whimpering everywhere else except here.

Like I said not my problem but does reconfirm my original idea of what I want or need. Since I live in the neighbourhood of both I was watching and waiting to see if rotting Old Duncan breathed fresh air.

No USD for you!
Old 14-01-2016, 20:01   #57

p.s.

not to mention that kak little hotel he kept pushing. Surprised there wasn't an Amazon.com referrer ID url in it also.
Old 14-01-2016, 20:05   #58

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!
Lovely sentiment. Alas the young man made his funny money on the internet self publishing.

It's a "new age' cunning. So far removed from the staid time immemorial hardy farmer digging dirt / swab hoisting sails era.

Trickery is afoot.
Old 14-01-2016, 20:07   #59

Yes, you're right. Everyone who ever builds or buys a boat should obey your instructions to the very end.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 20:23   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yes, you're right. Everyone who ever builds or buys a boat should obey your instructions to the very end.
Exactly!

You cannot be so precise and conscious to re-configure a boat where the iPOD should lay, where the USB ports should be, relishing the responses in this thread from Day One. Nay day two, where he was conscious enough to split the thread to appease all. Then suddenly become un-conscious after arriving at port, that those that patted him on his back all throughout, are left hanging here. Surely not?

Maybe he got his deal?

Pimp St Francis and the local hotel on his blog.

Arrive the Bahama's forget about it all and toast his own success?

Hey mebbe they never did go to St Helena and hugged the Angolan coast instead?

"My new book"?