Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 19:43   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
interior cabinets

I'm trying to figure out what the interior cabinets are made of in our new Lagoon 450. It's pretty much the same materials that is being put in all the production cats these days. On our cat, I can see that the floor is wood laminate. It looks like the trim work might actually be real wood that's been laquered. But, I can't figure out what the cabinets are. Does anyone know what they use these days? I can't tell if it is a wood veneer, or a laminate, or something entirely different
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 03:18   #2

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: interior cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I'm trying to figure out what the interior cabinets are made of in our new Lagoon 450. It's pretty much the same materials that is being put in all the production cats these days. On our cat, I can see that the floor is wood laminate. It looks like the trim work might actually be real wood that's been laquered. But, I can't figure out what the cabinets are. Does anyone know what they use these days? I can't tell if it is a wood veneer, or a laminate, or something entirely different
Did you reach out to Lagoon or a Lagoon dealer?
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 04:20   #3

No.... Didn't even think of doing that...
Old 23-07-2019, 06:40   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Scarlet,
You are correct, it is "something different". Lagoon uses real wood trim and Alpi. Alpi is an Italian based company that makes engineered wood veneers and panels. They take real wood and grind it up and process it into uniform looking faux wood. The real wood trim is probably maple or oak, Lagoon still uses oak with alpi in the current boats. The Alpi is probably their version of oak but it's not oak and that's why it doesn't match. If you can take a pic of the trim then I can probably identify it.
http://www.alpi.it/media/catalogue/T...700c8b4b52.pdf
And this link shows the different types available:
Download
Old 23-07-2019, 07:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Scarlet,
You are correct, it is "something different". Lagoon uses real wood trim and Alpi. Alpi is an Italian based company that makes engineered wood veneers and panels. They take real wood and grind it up and process it into uniform looking faux wood. The real wood trim is probably maple or oak, Lagoon still uses oak with alpi in the current boats. The Alpi is probably their version of oak but it's not oak and that's why it doesn't match. If you can take a pic of the trim then I can probably identify it.
http://www.alpi.it/media/catalogue/T...700c8b4b52.pdf
And this link shows the different types available:
Download
Wow... You are a wealth of information. Maybe you will know this... Do you think it will "behave" like wood? For example.. take stain, glaze, epoxy, poly? We have a few spots on our boat that will require some attention, such as a few mail holes, the very first owner of the boat super glued pictures on the wall and the remaining glue will need to be removed with solvent. I also noticed some areas that lost their luster and I'd like restore those areas to match the rest.
Old 23-07-2019, 08:21   #6

It is supposed to behave like wood. It's always good to experiment with touch ups in an out of the way place like the inside of a cabinet door. It is an actual art and most painters don't have the skills to do it. I know because I am a retired contractor.
Old 26-07-2019, 07:43   #7

Far from a boat cabinetry builder, but for the nail holes, your easiest bet might be to try the trim nail hole putty pencils. This is the stuff carpenters use on custom homes for all of the fancy wood trim work. These pencils come on sets with a ton of different colors to match. You just rub the pencil over the hole until it fills then wipe flush with a clean rag. If you get the color matched up well, it's pretty much invisible. I've got a full set from Minwax, but I knew Mohawk and there are a few others that the trades guys use. The cool thing is, these sets can be had on Amazon or your local hardware store for around $25.
mrarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 08:34   #8

Mrancher is right. But just a reminder that the color putty pencils or jars are not stainable. They go on last. You can get stainable wood putty in those little cans and these would go on before the stain and the finish coat. Stain will make the wood putty look different so a little experimentation is good before hand.
There are also stain sticks that look like magic markers and they are great for touch ups, too.
Old 26-07-2019, 09:00   #9

Exactly that. These sticks are wax based and will repel water, stains, etc. So, it's really a function of deciding how bad things are. If easy repairs won't do the trick, then due to the nature of the materials, I'd highly recommend talking to the Mfr for refinishing tips. You'd really hate to make a mistake and make it worse, where the only route left is paint.

Honestly, before I do anything I'd send an email to info@alpi.it and explain the situation, send along some pictures and ask for their advice on the best solution.

Good luck!
mrarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 09:53   #10

At home... I usually use a putty after everything else... And then I have paint it to blend into the wood better. If it looks like it needs a finish I just use a spray finish... I was more concerned with the potty adhering. I also want to stain my tryin work... And also put a high gloss shine on all the vertical surfaces. I'm going to use briwax on the trim to darken it a little. it is very orangy-red and I want to soften the red a little... Right now it looks a lot like mid century modern... Want it to look a bit more modern. For the high good finish... Do you think I could use a car wax and buff? Or do you think a would need a laquer?

Tags
cabin, interior