Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2008, 12:42   #61
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Reading this thread makes me glad I was poor enough to have to buy used. Less than 4 years old, and built by a German engineer through the Schmidt yard in Berlin. Most of the bugs in the boat were exterminated before I came along. I just got on the sucker, and sailed her.

I know about German precision. If you need to replace a wire connector. There's not enough wire left to extend it's reach. I think the owner cut his toothbrush in half too..

My fingers are crossed that everything will be put in it's place, and corrected. If the boat sails half as well as she is pretty. I am sure Gludy will be happy. Gludy, I am hoping your patience is rewarded. It surely is a blessing getting you through this timetable.......BEST WISHES
Old 15-09-2008, 13:03   #62
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
Its not my boat but yes I will be happy if all ends up well and the owners of Butterfly and Barnacle sail off an enjoy her.
Old 15-09-2008, 13:09   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Take a look at the latest blog update, some positive news, and read the comment on this not being a custom build right at the bottom.

of Butterfly and Barnacle

I wonder if the same conclusion/decision by the builder would have been as speedy if there wasn't a blog?

Next chapter will be the weighing of the boat.

I still haven't had any takers for the weight bet

Lightship it is supposed to be under 5 tons as far as I remember, anyway there are multiple posts with the weight claims.... just need to dig them out if there are any doubts.

Alan
Hallo Alan

Light ship is 6000 kilo for the bare boat and the Butterfly has many options and will weight around 8200 kilo ready to sail still leaving her with a respectable payload.
Her deck was raised . the bow extended, bigger engines , hardtop Bimini 100 meters of anchor chain ,life raft dingy , outboard , a dishwasher, extra portholes and hatches, dual air conditioning, heater,4 alternators 3 different sized gennakers and many more items on the boat.
Old 15-09-2008, 13:21   #64
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My understanding from the blog, is that these folks ordered a boat with certain defined specifications.

They move from the UK down to South Africa just prior to the planned launch date.

Boat gets launched - after a delay due to an accident.

OK accidents happen.

Then they start taking a look at what Fastcats have made, and find a large number of things that are not "as new" . Surfaces have not been protected during the latter part of the build.

The builder sets about rectifying these issues as he should. This process takes such a long time that the buyers have to go and get extended visas to stay in the country.

While waiting for the yard to get things sorted out, other issues arise which seem to indicate very poor quality control or lack of boat building knowledge.

Just to mention a few:
Hull leak
Leaking Fuel tank.
Galvanic corrosion underwater
Galvanic corrosion of the mast and mast base.

Aussiesuede- I can understand your point of view, but not everyone can afford to keep their exsisiting house indefinately, while some builder muddles through the finishing of a boat or a second house.

If you order a product from a builder who constantly "blows his horn" about his attention to details, like these poor folks have, then they should rightly expect to get a product that is in good order.

There will always be some issues on a new boat, but Hull leaks, leaking fuel tanks and some of the other issues mentioned are not "standard issues"

IMO it should not take 3-4 months and still counting to get a boat up to scratch!!

It seems that Fastcats are not only not as fast as they claim,the quality and finish also seems to be sub standard.

I am looking forward to see the weight figures when they get the boat weighed on calibrated scales.

Anybody willing to put money on that the multiple weight claims we have seen here turn out to be exagerrated?

Any takers? I will place 100$ on the boat being heavier than claimed.

I wonder whether the other Fastcat owner had similar issues? I saw his blog some time ago, but didn't read much it was mostly in Dutch.

Alan
I will take that bet Nordic and sure hope you put your money where your mouth is?
The weight for the Butterfly calculated before she was build is 8270 kilo with all the options
so lets say below that number You owe me and above I owe you.
Shall I leave my account details already ?
Old 15-09-2008, 14:01   #65

When do they lift and weigh the boat?

We want photos on that, and after that i want to see a photo when Alan and Gideon shake hands!!!!!

And if the weight is exacly 8270£?
Old 15-09-2008, 14:06   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
When do they lift and weigh the boat?

We want photos on that, and after that i want to see a photo when Alan and Gideon shake hands!!!!!

And if the weight is exact 8270 kg, then Gideon get the dubble??
If the weight is on the 8270 mark we ( I will get a good bottle of wine and share it with Alan), He will needs his money to oay for his new Bi Rig
Old 15-09-2008, 14:15   #67

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
Its not my boat but yes I will be happy if all ends up well and the owners of Butterfly and Barnacle sail off an enjoy her.
Hey Gludy, where do you sail in Brecnoc? My launching slip was Bleddfa and I still remember the bruises playing rugby against your boys. Not fair - you were ALL bigger than the biggest on our team, or at least thats how it seemed.
Old 15-09-2008, 14:37   #68
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I agree with Gludy that there is a big difference between fully custom new build and a production boat with some modifications, so sorry for going off track about my experience with custom projects.

Also as Gludy says;

“To me the buying of a boat should be a pleasure - the filling of a dream - it should not involve hassle or problems that one should have expected to be sorted out way before the boat is presented to the customer. That is just my opinion but I guess that is how the law would also see it.

So perhaps the saddest thing is the tarnishing of what should be a happy time so lets hope that all the problems are sorted and Butterfly becomes a safe and happy boat for its new owners
.”

I think that is all our wish….. yet despite the best intentions of the builder, like giving birth to a child, there are “labor pains” which while stressful at the time, give immediate character to the child as well as the parents.

Later on, those pains are remembered more as a bonding between owner and his yacht.

I guess Gideon, if I remember my Dutch correctly, that makes you the “Fruitfrau” (midwife) in this story

Here is to a successful delivery! :cubalibre
Old 15-09-2008, 14:46   #69

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
I will take that bet Nordic and sure hope you put your money where your mouth is?
The weight for the Butterfly calculated before she was build is 8270 kilo with all the options
so lets say below that number You owe me and above I owe you.
Shall I leave my account details already ?
It would be my pleasure to share a very good bottle of wine with you Gideon, and I hope that the weight is as you have claimed on numerous other posts here on CF. If so, I will with pleasure pay up! I will even apologise for not believing your weight claim.

If the boat is heavier than you have claimed, will you promise not to make exaggerated claims again?

WHat weight are we talking about now? Please define it clearly, to avoid discussions afterwards?

To make it simple enough for me to understand, please just state what is NOT included in this weight.

Thanks

Alan
Old 15-09-2008, 15:09   #70

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I seem to remember weights including gen, dingy, davits, linens half fuel and water etc etc.
Old 15-09-2008, 15:09   #71
cruiser

I sail out of the Bristol Channel with a tidal range of about 40 feet - a sort of 3D sailing as we sail up and down as well as along

However I think that is a bit of thread drift.
Old 15-09-2008, 15:30   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
It would be my pleasure to share a very good bottle of wine with you Gideon, and I hope that the weight is as you have claimed on numerous other posts here on CF. If so, I will with pleasure pay up! I will even apologise for not believing your weight claim.

If the boat is heavier than you have claimed, will you promise not to make exaggerated claims again?

WHat weight are we talking about now? Please define it clearly, to avoid discussions afterwards?

To make it simple enough for me to understand, please just state what is NOT included in this weight.

Thanks

Alan
First you better define if this is long tons or short tons. One metric ton or long ton is 1000 kg or the equivalent of 2240 pounds.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 15-09-2008, 15:46   #73
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
I sail out of the Bristol Channel with a tidal range of about 40 feet - a sort of 3D sailing as we sail up and down as well as along

However I think that is a bit of thread drift.
No it is actually "drift thread".....sorry...
Old 15-09-2008, 15:47   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
No it is actually "drift thread".....sorry...
First time on this forum

You must read all threads, you don´t know what you missing if not.
Old 16-09-2008, 02:20   #75
cruiser

The Birth of a Boat!!

Pelagic
You wrote:-
"I think that is all our wish….. yet despite the best intentions of the builder, like giving birth to a child, there are “labor pains” which while stressful at the time, give immediate character to the child as well as the parents."

I think that if you are compare the boat to the birth of a child, then you should consider the facts. The pregnancy takes about 9 months and that seems to be about the time in this case. However I know a few women who would moan a lot, to say nothing of their partners holding their hands, if the labour/birth took another 5 months!!!!

Then if afterwards you told the mother that the labour/birth was 'character building' you would need IMHO to run for cover.

I think your point sums up the difference between the world I live in and the one you do!!

PS I could not get the smiley icons to work today!!!
Closed Thread