Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 18:51   #16

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: insurance without a survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
There's a lot of posts here that omit one important piece of information, which is, what are the geographic limits of your policy?
I said the thing earlier in the post...

People like to hear themselves talk and don't read the previous posts...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 15:41   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Not getting a survey might bite you at claim time. All policies have some clauses requiring the vessel to be in seaworthy shape. It is much easier to defend that with an independent third-party survey that the insurance company has already excepted.
that might be a US thing.
My insurances never asked for surveys. they only require damage surveys after any incidents.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 18:31   #18

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I'm in the U.S. and I've been asked to get a survey I think once in my last 7-8 boats. I really think it depends on the insurance company your dealing with and the one company that asked me for a survey turned out to be. very expensive so we didn't use them.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 09:11   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
that might be a US thing.
My insurances never asked for surveys. they only require damage surveys after any incidents.
I think you missed the point. Most policies, including the Lloyds policies, have clauses that require that the boat be in seaworthy condition. If an incident occurs after you get insurance without a survey, it may be easier for the insurance company to deny a claim based on unseaworthiness if there is no independent third party survey.
Old 17-07-2016, 10:29   #20

Boat: Grampian 26

Some insurance companies offer insurance without a survey. They are probably the same ones that offer life insurance without a medical. Good luck with that.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 13:17   #21

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

PaulL I think it'syou thats missing the point! We are saying we have insurance that did mot require a survey, we have also had claims on those policies that were promptly paid by the insurance company. Also my rates have not gone up! I think you need to get a better insurance company,
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 16:00   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
PaulL I think it'syou thats missing the point! We are saying we have insurance that did mot require a survey, we have also had claims on those policies that were promptly paid by the insurance company. Also my rates have not gone up! I think you need to get a better insurance company,
I said it was a risk,not that it happened to me.
Old 19-12-2018, 14:14   #23

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

me being cheap again... trying to get insurance sorted out on the new boat gave Progressive and Boat US a call and they both require surveys, maybe this is a new thing (see previous posts). The previous owner has a five year old survey but the insurance require a survey within the two previous years. i expect the yard where i plan to haul out will require Hull insurance. if i must get a survey can anyone recommend a provider that is reasonable in the Fort Pierce or insurance (other than Progressive and Boat US) who could supply insurance without a survey.

I plan to use liability only insurance (cheap boat) except for when i'm in the marina.

Regards Steven
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, survey