Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 05:20   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 49
Info request for catana 39

Hi all!

Looking for somebody that can give me some random info about the catana 39 MY1991. I am/was in the market for a monohul and didn't seriously consider a multi just for budget reasons: now a friend of mine knows a guy who is selling a 39 catana that need some cosmetic fixing (that i might do by myself). I am going to visit it next week and have no idea about this model and didn't find much in forums. What should i look specially as weak points? General info about the boat itself? From pictures, i saw that this cat seem to have quite narrow "double" berths.....maybe only on photo? The one i will see it's a galley up, 4 cabin 2 baths version.
aaaaand the million $ question: it's fairly good mantained but.......maybe too old?
Thanx for reading and answering.
Cheers
__________________

riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 17:34   #2
Registered User
 
danielamartindm's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Boat: Leopard 39
Posts: 588
Re: Info request for catana 39

The brand is good. Not a condomaran, but fast if not overloaded; and certainly a lot more comfort than a comparably sized monohull. A competent survey by someone knowledgeable in cats will answer most of your questions. Osmosis, engine hours, standing rigging, bulkhead integrity, and sail condition are issues in an older boat, as well as whatever electronics upgrades you desire. Price and the cost of a refit might just work out for you. I hope it does.
__________________

danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:54   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 49
Re: Info request for catana 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
The brand is good. Not a condomaran, but fast if not overloaded; and certainly a lot more comfort than a comparably sized monohull. A competent survey by someone knowledgeable in cats will answer most of your questions. Osmosis, engine hours, standing rigging, bulkhead integrity, and sail condition are issues in an older boat, as well as whatever electronics upgrades you desire. Price and the cost of a refit might just work out for you. I hope it does.
Thank you Daniela.
I know that Catanas are very good cats, what surprised me is that about this special model/size there are no reviews or owners feedback, no info at all. Strange.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 21:14   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Posts: 253
Re: Info request for catana 39

There is a pretty good forum on Yahoo Groups. You might join and ask there.

I know of no way to search Yahoo groups. I usually hit "Conversations" then "topics" in the pull down menu and then just scroll down thru the topics. Its a pain, bunch a yahoos must have set it up, or maybe I'm the yahoo and can't figure it out.

Cruisers Forum is the easiest format I have found to search for stuff, either that or you can ask Gordmay. He knows everything!
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 00:06   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 49
Re: Info request for catana 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
There is a pretty good forum on Yahoo Groups. You might join and ask there.

I know of no way to search Yahoo groups. I usually hit "Conversations" then "topics" in the pull down menu and then just scroll down thru the topics. Its a pain, bunch a yahoos must have set it up, or maybe I'm the yahoo and can't figure it out.

Cruisers Forum is the easiest format I have found to search for stuff, either that or you can ask Gordmay. He knows everything!
Thank you very much. Will have alook at the yahoo groups.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:58   #6
Registered User
 
mark_morwood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Posts: 226
Re: Info request for catana 39

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CatanaCats is the Catana Group
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:05   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 49
Re: Info request for catana 39

Thanx Mark, just made request for joining the group.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:34   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney
Boat: Wanted: Schionning Arrow 1360'ish
Posts: 625
Re: Info request for catana 39

Yahoo groups are a bit of an anomaly. They're in the style of the first user groups you had to subscribe to back in the days of the internet before HTML and the world wide web. Pretty limited compared to today's forums
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:25   #9
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,917
Info request for catana 39

https://youtu.be/jiTZKjhmJi4

We made an offer on this Catana many years ago but didnít come to an agreement. Nice cats but donít have near the living space of a modern 39í cat, but would sail circles around the newer more commodious cats.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:10   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 49
Re: Info request for catana 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
https://youtu.be/jiTZKjhmJi4

We made an offer on this Catana many years ago but didnít come to an agreement. Nice cats but donít have near the living space of a modern 39í cat, but would sail circles around the newer more commodious cats.
In fact it does look quite "small" considering the size. Even the double berth seems quite narrow beside the strange position...
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:31   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 151
Re: Info request for catana 39

In my experience Catana are very good sailing cats. Well built. Not as spacious as the condo cats. For a live aboard I like the 47. Cheers.
__________________

pathlesschosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catana

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Real displacement of L570, Catana 582, Priv 585 any info?? canadian cat Multihull Sailboats 10 14-01-2017 04:35
Catana C42 vs Old Catana 42 SSG2015 Commercial Posts 0 02-11-2015 17:13
Outrťmer 40/43 v's Catana 401 v's Catana 41 RMH Multihull Sailboats 12 14-07-2015 13:37
Catana 431 vs Catana 42 Coops2 Multihull Sailboats 3 17-05-2012 08:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.