Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2014, 09:51   #46

Re: Inexpensive Production/Custom Used Cat Recommendations

Don't be callin no Packet Cat a barge!!!

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 16:13   #47

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
Here's how this thing works...

You get to choose any two: price, comfort, speed. You have your price, now you get to choose between comfort and speed.

Endeavorcats and Americats (from the same molds IIRC) are in your range, but they don't sail particularly well and the bridges aren't high. Gemini is also similar concept

Wharram is the best choice in all three of your stated parameters, IMO

There are some smaller Shuttleworths around that will answer your speed and seakeeping needs, but they are open bridge cats. There was one for sale at the catamaransite page if i recall

Then, back to the not so fast, are things like Hirondelle, Catalac, Iroquois, old Prouts, the 70s style cats like those

Another option, depending on your inclination, is of course to buy something that will need fixing up...
I have never seen anything used that did not need "fixing up" somewhere.
Old 20-12-2014, 12:02   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I want your boat and I want you to pay me $10k to take it away, its only fair
That's a very disappointing offer. I was hoping to be able to at least partially fund my new $25k Gunboat 60-90 from the proceeds of selling this boat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 12:06   #49

a lot more value in monos the way its playing out
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 14:49   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

We need to find that 57 foot Chris White- is it still out there? I will flip it and use it for less than 25K!
(ducking and running for cover now)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 05:57   #51
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
My sincere apologies for posting such a statement openly. If I could go back & undo it, I would.

I am definitely not looking for a fight, however, it definitely sounds as if you are.
As to what "my momma said when you had some good stash you should share." means, do you care to extrapolate on that?
For while I definitely don't understand your full meaning there in, the statement sounds like one designed to start or fan the flames of a problem, not fix one. And fixing one is what I am attempting to do.

As to the original topic (of this thread), I never once, said that I wanted a custom built 35' bridgedeck cat. Particularly not a new one, & especially not for less than $75k. If anyone's under that impression, it's incorrect. For my original words when I started this thread were:

"Hi,
I'm curious to hear folks ideas in terms of what to look for/at, & where, in terms of inexpensive (sub-$75k), quality, used; production, & well designed, home built catamarans.

The boat would need to have reasonable to outstanding sailing performance. Good bridgedeck clearance, & sea keeping qualities. And more than likely be in the mid-30' range, give or take.
Ah, & boats located in North America or close there to, definitely get priority attention, but this isn't an absolutely mandatory requirement.

I have a few designs, makes, & places to look for boats meeting these requirements, but am looking for more input & ideas. AKA pretty much any, & all reasonable suggestions will be both welcome, & entertained.

Thanks in advance"

If one takes the time to read through the above/original statement, no where in it, is mention made to buying a custom built 35' Bridgedeck cat. The key words used, were & are; Used Production, or Quality Home Built.

To answer your question on hull prices. In our phone conversation on Eclipse hulls, when I asked as to their price, I was told that a pair of them would run about $25k. A figure, more or less on par with a publicly listed price, by you, several months ago 2014 Boatsmith Eclipse 32 for sale in West Palm Beach Florida - United States Something easy enough to find by doing a basic internet search. Which I just did only moments ago.
Also when I asked as to what shipping costs were like, in the same conversation, you stated that for a pair of hulls, it was $2.25/mile.

In our phone conversation, when I asked how much it would be if I wanted the hulls to be 3' longer, I was told that it'd cost me an extra $17k, or in that neighborhood, to "stretch" them to said dimensions. Basically, about 165% or so, of the base price of the hulls.
This was more than I was looking to spend. Albeit, I categorically did not state as much at the time (or any other, until my goof on here). Would $5k-$10k have worked/been reasonable for me, yeah. However, the numbers which I was quoted weren't anywhere close to such.

But bottom line, given that it was a phone conversation, neither one of us has anything written, to back up what was or wasn't discussed. And I'm happy to let the issue drop. For I gather that little will be worked out about it in this manner. And the furthest thing from my mind when I started this thread, was to wind up in a pissing match with someone. I was just looking for assistance with boat ideas.
Your recollection is pretty good, I remember 4'extension but no matter.
Two 33' hulls cost $26,500 fob Jupiter, FL. Shipping is now down to less than $2/mile.
Let's look at the cost for a simple extension.

Layout and cut two hulls in half $10 16 hrs
Build 4 additional cradles $200 16 hrs
Lay up two center sections $1000 16 hrs
Align and clamp hull sections 24 hrs
Prep for glass. $100 16 hrs
Glass sections together $400 20 hrs
Fairing $300 80 hrs

$2110 188 hrs

188 hrs x 1.25 fudge x $55/hr = $12,925 + $2,110 = $15,035

Pretty close to a "ballpark" phone quote of $17,000. This might seem unreasonable to some. Lot's of folks think we do good work at fair prices.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 07:28   #52

Boat: Prout 34

Nicely written down Boatsmith. A while back I started using the same method for clients in my cabinetry business. There isn't magic involved the work has to be done and paid for. Enjoy your progress vids.
hurricanehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 08:45   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanehole View Post
Nicely written down Boatsmith. A while back I started using the same method for clients in my cabinetry business. There isn't magic involved the work has to be done and paid for. Enjoy your progress vids.
Yeah estimating as a jobbing shop is a dangerous game, its just too easy to under quote. Then the same character who would say your prices are too high will try to hold you to too low a quote.

Shops Ive had dealings with sometimes just quote on shop time which on a quick thumbnail price wouldnt see a job like this out of there for less than $25k, and thats on the low side especially for shops that dont really want the job.

For the rest a job like this rightly scares the begezus out of amateurs, and theyre not starting with the benefit of bucks, moulds and experience Boatsmith already have.

The man seems pretty straight to me and a good operator from the doing a job intelligently and right. I hate to see a reputation stained on the internet just through some lack of understanding, and that it has to be said is not on David's part.
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 11:33   #54

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Gosh, plenty of 30-40ft catamarans for under $50k, there was that 36ft for $25k a while back, it sold in about 2 weeks..Is that funky aluminum hulled one in texas still for sale?
You just missed that wing sail trimaran, was that $30k at auction?
Anyone wanting a boat cheap just needs to look and wait.
Now one that doesn't need a lot of work, fuhgeddaboudit
Old 21-12-2014, 13:53   #55
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Like anything, it's best to shop around for stern extensions. I found a guy that extended two Seawind 1000's by 4' for $10,000. The work looked really good. I've also been quoted over $20,000 for the same job, so it looks as if Boatsmiths price is in the middle.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 13:59   #56
smj

Like anything, it's best to shop around for stern extensions. I found a guy that
Old 27-12-2014, 06:17   #57
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

A set of sugar scoops is indeed a smaller job than truly adding 4" to the middle fat part of the boat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 07:41   #58
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
A set of sugar scoops is indeed a smaller job than truly adding 4" to the middle fat part of the boat.

Your absolutely correct, I was under the impression you were pricing sugar scoop stern extensions. The price you gave for that is more than fair.
Old 08-01-2015, 16:40   #59
Marine Service Provider

We currently have a Wildcat 350 listed for $75,000 and an older Lagoon 380 which I think may list close to that. Both project boats, here in Grenada. Let me know if you would like more information on either of these boats.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men