Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2014, 03:03   #16
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Re: In or Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
When I lived in California in 2002, my boat was on a popular marina (not named to protect the guilty).

One day, I hear helicopters, 2 of them and some splashes. Guys in black wet suits had jumped in and were crawing over a 70 foot houseboat. Turned out he was using it as growing platform for "hydroponics" and "medicinal herbs", but without permission from the USA......
The only reason he got caught was the electric bill per month was 4 times everyone elses and the infra red signature from his vessel almost blinded the guy looking at it from the helicopter a few weeks before

A very keen horticulturist......
It's nice to have a hobby ...

Quote:
Im looking at the catalac 8m. It has a choice of outboard or twin diesels. For what I will be using it for... ie not world cruising.. just working within a 150 mile radius...and then only using the engine when into wind..... it might be a better deal. I looked HARD at the Prout but the silette does need lots of love and attention...... good boat though.
I 2nd the suggestion of twin diesels. The challenge for all catamarans with stern mounted outboards is keeping the propellers in the water and keeping them from cavitating. And then there's what Atoll said...

There's one for sale in Italy where they just reduced the asking price.

http://www.catamaransite.com/Catalac..._for_sale.html
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 12:29   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
It's nice to have a hobby ...

I 2nd the suggestion of twin diesels. The challenge for all catamarans with stern mounted outboards is keeping the propellers in the water and keeping them from cavitating. And then there's what Atoll said...

There's one for sale in Italy where they just reduced the asking price.

Catalac 8M Catamaran for sale Italy
I keep up to date with your site and already saw it So inboards are the popular recommendation then.. OKaYDoKeY.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 17:49   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

FWIW, after we hauled last year with two months in the water there wasn't one, and I really mean 0, barnacles on the bottom. But I've got the special St. Maarten anti-foul. It's some special stuff.

It should be about the least of your concerns.
Old 17-04-2014, 18:19   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I keep up to date with your site and already saw it So inboards are the popular recommendation then.. OKaYDoKeY.
I would much prefer an outboard or outboards but each to his own.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 06:12   #20

Do they not allow copper based bottom paints in europe anymore? Props are a different issue but when we were in south florida a quick scrub while swiming every month or two was enough to take care of the issue. I doubt the med has that much more growth.

As far as outboard powered, that's our prefered option. The propeller is only in the water when it's driving the boat. Simple reliable and worst case a few thousand and you have an entirely new drivetrain in an afternoon. It's completely outside the living space and you can do any work on the back deck. Assuming the boat was designed for outboard power, cavitation shouldn't be much of an issue. With the advances in solar power, the big alternator of a diesel is no longer the big advantage it used to be.

I would personally avoid the stillette outdrive. Those do appear to be maintenance headaches.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote