Re: Shipping France
Hi there, I shipped my Salina 48 from France
to South Africa
as follows in 2010:
1) With delivery
crew (2 skippers) from La Rochelle to Antwerp. Myself and girlfriend on board. Great little trip, fantastic ports
to visit on 5 day trip.
2) De-masted and shrink wrapped in Antwerp, shipped with MACS in hold, no other cargo in hold except mast
3) Discharged directly into water
in Durban, motored to her mooring
, re-masted and sailing 4 days later.
4) No damage.
5) No wear and tear and abuse by delivery
crew whom you dont know.
1) Be very careful to buy anything from skipper delivery
provider, mine sold me an old Epirb
(two years old) at new price
, me being a complete novice
did not pick this up until I had eprib serviced. Big bucks to have unit serviced and had to replace auto activation unit.
2) I highly recommend the following service
contact Nicolas Eeckhoud firstname.lastname@example.org
he arranged everything in Antwerp including the taxi to take us to the airport
- NV Beeckman de Vos contact Roland Geyssens RolandGeyssens@bdv.be
Shrinkwrap your boat, the dirt during the voyage is crazy, also keeps unwanted hands off.
Use a surveyor
and put him in charge at loading. Make sure everyone else knows he is in charge.
The stevedores that did our handling in Antwerp were highly competent.
Use a diver to secure slings.
Some shipping lines offer on deck
shipping with mast
up, do not recommend as three yachts that I know off have been lost overboard
In the end, I got a brand new yacht to my home port with no damage in 21 days. Well worth the money