Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 07:37   #796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname

Simply not true. All EPIRBS / PLBS / ELTS use the same frequencies (406 MHz & 121.5 MHz); Actually there are several 406 frequencies in use but the Satellite receivers are tuned to all of them.
Based on what i have read on the McMurdo website there is something stopping some epirbs from being registered in Aus

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Fast Find 211 and 201 (for registration in Australia and New Zealand) should be purchased from approved suppliers and the equipment should bear the Ctick approval mark on the box. This will ensure that the unit has been properly programmed for registration and is compliant with AMSA regulations.

We do not recommend the purchase of Fast find 210 or 200 as these models are not approved for registration in either Australia or New Zealand.
Old 15-09-2011, 07:43   #797

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

I know what I am talking about.

The boat I am buying is USA Epirb Registered, Has a P designation,

I cannot register that USA Epirb in Australia, For My now Australian Registered boat,

Mine is a 503 designation, For Australia,

It was also registered to me with AMSA, Today, So I am using todays information,

And Yes, I did try to reregister the existing USA Epirb on my new boat in Australia,

AMSA Stated to me that it was illegal and does have severe penaltys.

I will go with AMSA's response to my Inquiry, They do make the rules.

I now have a USA Epirb For sale,

If you have a USA boat, You only need to change the registration to you, Its a phone call to the USA governing Authority for Epirbs,

Its just had a new battery fitted,

My new 406 Mhz Epirb is a McMurdo Smart Find A5, AMSA has approved it and sent me the documentation verifying it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:00   #798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B

I cannot register that USA Epirb in Australia, For My now Australian Registered boat,

It was also registered to me with AMSA, Today, So I am using todays information,

And Yes, I did try to reregister the existing USA Epirb on my new boat in Australia,

If you have a USA boat, You only need to change the registration to you, Its a phone call to the USA governing Authority for Epirbs,

Did they say why it is illegal? It does not seem like it is illegal to have a Epirb that can transmit at 121.5 mhz, it's just that they must have 406mhz. I had my UK Epirb reprogrammed so that it could be registered in Sweden, so the MMSI & hex should i guess not be a problem.

I just wonder if the problem is that you may neef to take the US epirb to Australia, reprogram it and then return it to your boat ???? This however does not explain why McMurdo has a different model for Aus.
Old 15-09-2011, 15:42   #799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post

US EPIRB's/PLB's are required to transmit morse "P" over the 121.5 MHz homing frequency, this has nothing to do with country designation. The Maritime Identification Digit (MID) is the countrys designation number, the USA has four 366,367,368,369....
That's correct if the EPIRB/PLB is permanently fixed with the US country code and Morse "P", if the EPIRB/PLB is able to be recoded and meets all other requirements, you can recode it and save some money....

My new 406 Mhz Epirb is a McMurdo Smart Find A5, AMSA has approved it and sent me the documentation verifying it,
AMSA web site AMSA Beacons Information all the info is there...
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 19:45   #800

The US body for EPIRB rego is NOAA. There is a lot of confusion here and people getting heated for no reason...

You need to remember why you have bought an EPIRB - it is to save your bacon and get rescued out at sea when all other options have been exhausted. And it doesn't matter where or with whom you registered it when in the middle of the ocean (anywhere on the planet) - all marine rescue centres worldwide work together. Tony Bullimore's EPIRB was registered with MCA (UK), they received the signal and then within minutes of receiving it, contacted AMSA to coordinate the rescue. We bought our EPIRB new in St Martin and registered it with NOAA for the cruise home knowing that even within 10NM of Australia, if we flicked the switch, rescue would come. The important thing is that it is registered.

Yes, of course, once you are living back home you probably need to transfer rego to AMSA (and it seems they are 'insisting' on that now, reading the above posts) but understanding how EPIRB's work world wide is more important - your life may depend on it.

EPIRBS are very cheap now for the service they provide and a hell of a lot cheaper than most other gear you'll buy for your yacht! As cheap as $299 with a sealed 6 year battery! Compare that with the cost of an HF system (6K ++) which these days is not really a necessity, unless you think you must have an internet connection at sea... personally, I go to sea to get away from all that crap!

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 19:54   #801

Boat: Able 50

EPIRB's sure have come down in price. I bought a manual McMurdo 406 with GPS in 2006 for $1100 and now you can get one for $650.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 05:37   #802
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Let's remember some basics (pertaining to Oz).

While a EPIRB is registered with AMSA, it is ACMA who decides what transmitters (of any sort) can and can't be used in Australia. To be precise, the controlling document is the The Radiocommunications Act 1992.

Simply put, all transmitters in Oz are required to have a "C Tick" of approval. The manufacturers have to jump through certain hoops to be allowed to display the "C Tick" on their product. Even if the equipment might meet the requirements, unless the "hoops" are jumped through, the right to use the "C Tick" is not approved.

So some manufacturers don't bother to have all their products approved for Aussie use and it is an offense to import or use radio apparatus without this "C Tick". Notwithstanding the right to use any frequency / equipment in an emergency, AMSA ain't going to register non-approved EPIRBs.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 05:46   #803
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

FWIW, the "C Tick" looks like this, google for more info.
Attached Images

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 06:35   #804

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

While a EPIRB is registered with AMSA, it is ACMA who decides what transmitters (of any sort) can and can't be used in Australia. To be precise, the controlling document is the The Radiocommunications Act 1992.

Simply put, all transmitters in Oz are required to have a "C Tick" of approval. The manufacturers have to jump through certain hoops to be allowed to display the "C Tick" on their product. Even if the equipment might meet the requirements, unless the "hoops" are jumped through, the right to use the "C Tick" is not approved.

So some manufacturers don't bother to have all their products approved for Aussie use and it is an offense to import or use radio apparatus without this "C Tick". Notwithstanding the right to use any frequency / equipment in an emergency, AMSA ain't going to register non-approved EPIRBs.
Thanks for that info,

I just wanted my Epirb registered to me,

I am not going to argue with any Govt department.

My new Epirb cost me $289-00 AUD, My life is worth it. 406 and 121

The issue is not about them saving you any where in the world as All Epirbs are come and help me any where in the world by any one close enough to help,

The issue was about different country Epirbs being registered in different countrys,

As Wotname above clearly put it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 16:31   #805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Again, all the above can be found at AMSA Beacons Information if people can be bothered looking....

One of my jobs is as a sub contractor to AMSA doing Radio/GMDSS Survey's, so far i have not issued any infringements to any Australian registered vessels carrying the incorrect EPIRB, mainly because it is not against the law to be in the possession of one....
All i do is inform them of the mandatory carriage requirements, (a copy of which i give them) give them thirty days to get the correct one, (which is the max i am aloud to give) after that it is out of my hands....
With things like this individuals need to go to the correct authority, while forums are good for getting pointed in the right direction, taking advice on legalities off an open forum is just inviting ill informed individuals to give their own interpretations, and while all info give may not be wrong, for those looking for the correct answers it can be a minefield....

Disclaimer: The above is not aimed at anyone in particular even though i used Wotname’s quote, it is just a bit of freely offered friendly advice....
Old 17-09-2011, 16:21   #806
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Wow I cant believe the huge argument about epirbs. Bottom line is it is an emergency device, probably wont be used. And if it is your signal will be heard no matter where you purchased it!
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 16:32   #807

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Wow I cant believe the huge argument about epirbs. Bottom line is it is an emergency device, probably wont be used. And if it is your signal will be heard no matter where you purchased it!
What huge argument are you going on about mate ?? i can't see one....

A little bit of drama here me thinks....
Old 17-09-2011, 16:34   #808

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
What huge argument are you going on about mate ?? i can't see one....

A little bit of drama here me thinks....
Unsubscribed....
Old 17-09-2011, 17:06   #809

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
I'm pretty certain my ARC EPIRP can be reprogramed as an OZ unit by an authorized battery replacement centre, I'd be surprised if other brands weren't the same.
This tick thing has me intrigued, if you have a tick sticker you're legal if not you an't.
What happens when the sticker falls off.
Please don't tell me they will check your serial number or that they can tell by your transmisions?
Time to get a grip fellas.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 18:17   #810

Boat: Able 50

The people who write the rules about these things are bureaucrats not sailors.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia