Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 21:22   #631

Boat: deboated
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Or simply don't bother. It's just another tax with no benefit other than protection from the water police handing you fines.

Depends where you are, of course. If you're near a high-traffic port or city it could become more of an issue. We were in a city-area without state rego for quite sometime. Perhaps we were lucky, but we never had any problems. Also be mindful not to speed in your dinghy or anything else that could attract unwanted attention
You need it for international entry exit
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 21:31   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
State rego is required for entry/exit to the country? I'm fairly confident it's not.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 21:57   #633
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

That's national Au registration is it not?
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 21:59   #634

There's the AMSA registry, and ships registration by each individual state.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 22:36   #635

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Where does it say that ? ? ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 23:16   #636
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

You must have flag registration -- If you intend the vessel to 'live' Australia, that's through AMSA and the Australian Register of Ships -- to travel internationally. It's the vessel's passport.

There seems to be some uncertainty about whether, if you have Australian/AMSA Registration, you also require State registration. The State agencies tend (not surprisingly, of course, as it's their jobs) to say State registration is required, but it is the clear intention of the overall regime to phase out the state intermediaries and end up with a single, Federal maritime system under AMSA, similar to what applies in the UK and the USA. The current date for the AMSA take-over is 2013, but that date is in fact an adjusted/deferred date for several previous attempts that did not make it -- The states weren't ready -- in time.

Australian Registration is more complex and expensive than State registration, but it is a one-ff process. State Registration is renewed annually.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 23:57   #637
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Just on earlier posts, UK Registration (with a UK address etc) is certainly fine for international travel, including around OZ, BUT...

It is clear that a vessel with an Australian home must be registered in Australia.

The other important requirement (and downside!) to being an Australian registered vessel is tax, specifically Duty and GST. It is our understanding that there is a very limited period of time within which a non-Australian vessel can cruise Australian waters before that vessel becomes subject to Australian regulation...and tax.There is a clear risk of impoundment (and ultimately sale) of any vessel determined to be residing in Australian waters and not entered as such with (especially) Customs and whatever maritime registration is appropriate. Whilst maritime authorities in some areas are more casual than others about checking registration(s), we are advised the revenue people are both connected to Maritime and the Navy and VERY keen on enforcing their revenues!

In our humble view, being on the Australian Register of Ships is the way to go. It (or some 'flag' registration, NOT a state registration) is both necessary for any overseas cruising and the 'proper' course for a vessel living here...and it's a one-off!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 00:31   #638

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
You must have flag registration -- If you intend the vessel to 'live' Australia, that's through AMSA and the Australian Register of Ships -- to travel internationally. It's the vessel's passport.

There seems to be some uncertainty about whether, if you have Australian/AMSA Registration, you also require State registration. The State agencies tend (not surprisingly, of course, as it's their jobs) to say State registration is required, but it is the clear intention of the overall regime to phase out the state intermediaries and end up with a single, Federal maritime system under AMSA, similar to what applies in the UK and the USA. The current date for the AMSA take-over is 2013, but that date is in fact an adjusted/deferred date for several previous attempts that did not make it -- The states weren't ready -- in time.

Australian Registration is more complex and expensive than State registration, but it is a one-ff process. State Registration is renewed annually.
More likely they weren't willing to give up all those registration fees.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 01:17   #639

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Where does it say that ? ? ?
Rather than argue with you just read D & Ds reply as he is on the money. I was not referring to state registration as the poster PeterC sounded like he was not in Australia.
Old 25-08-2011, 01:44   #640

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
D&d is the man,really knows he's stuff
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 02:07   #641
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post

It is clear that a vessel with an Australian home must be registered in Australia.
When I am sailing international waters does my vessel have an Australian home? I would transfer over to state rego and pay my import tax etc when I "import" it. This is OK isn't it?
Old 25-08-2011, 02:44   #642

The first question on entry to Australia will be is the boat staying? If it is you will be required to at least start the import process immediately. If not I believe you will be able to gain a cruising permit for a set amount of time not sure but maybe 12mths. This will be a once only and then you will be required to import the boat. State registration will be required if the boat remains in one state permanently and the owner resides in that state. I have been told that the marinas are checked every so often for long term non in this case QLD registered boats. As I did import the boat and so did not apply for cruise permit I am not 100% with the details. When you arrive in a foreign port customs want to see that the boat has national registration papers not state rego. Australian Customs are not stupid they probably have a manual showing all the tricks people have used to try and circumvent paying import GST etc. Once they sense you are going down this path life becomes more difficult for you. If you play by the rules the whole exercises is not as difficult as some make out. I have made this point before that using a customs agent is the best way to go as customs are much more relaxed, the cost relative to the boat is minor. dennisail there is one snag wood and old boats Quarantine will want to be sure that the boat is free of unwanted living stowaways. Even the sniffer dog inspection will set you back $1000, like I said earlier old boats start off cheap and then head North.
Old 25-08-2011, 02:46   #643
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
When I am sailing international waters does my vessel have an Australian home? I would transfer over to state rego and pay my import tax etc when I "import" it. This is OK isn't it?
No, if you are an Australian and own a boat and it is in international waters, it MUST be Australian registered.
It is simply Australian law under IIRC, the shipping act.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 02:52   #644
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
...... I have been told that the marinas are checked every so often for long term non in this case QLD registered boats. ......
FWIW, WA fisheries officers, WA water police (and probably other WA public officers) regularly check boats in WA for current state registration.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 03:11   #645
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
No, if you are an Australian and own a boat and it is in international waters, it MUST be Australian registered.
It is simply Australian law under IIRC, the shipping act.
Nikki has dual UK AU citizenship. Will this be OK? And how has Jimbo successfully done it twice if its a MUST?

Tags
Australia