Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 19:59   #511

Boat: deboated
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I never even said I will do it all my self. This is a cost feasibility analysis. So one can make a decision if it is even worth doing in the first place with the funds they have available. My list if costs even includes the customs broker.
It sounded like that was what you were contemplating and if that's what you want to do go for it. But I was pointing out that it can be more rather than less expensive if you get it wrong.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 21:49   #512
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
It sounded like that was what you were contemplating and if that's what you want to do go for it. But I was pointing out that it can be more rather than less expensive if you get it wrong.
Yeah you said have mentioned that a few times now in this thread and I agree at this stage. What did you think of my spreadsheet? Any costs you would like to add or subtract?

What do you think Dragon Lady?
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 22:37   #513

Boat: Able 50

A few things:

1. Australia does not have a luxury tax on boats
2. A foreign citizen will not pay US sales tax on a used boat unless they choose to keep the boat in the state too long. Each state has different time limit rules.
3. A foreign citizen will probably pay US sales tax on a new boat. Sales taxes are state based in the US and there are many rules. Sales tax on a new boat can be avoided by a foreign citizen with a little messing around. I don't think you really want to go there but in very basic terms you need to take the boat to Canada or Mexico.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 23:20   #514
cruiser

Thanks Savoir Mark J mentioned the Luxury tax and I was not sure about it.
Old 26-05-2011, 23:26   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia
@djambalawa I believe that IF the gas is CFC or HCFC you can apply for a one off permit to import the air con unit as is. Depending on the make, it may not have either of these gases.
A friend in Brisbane who recently sailed his yacht from the US was stung for about $1000 for the gas in his air-cond. No suggestion of a one-off permit for him.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 23:36   #516

Yes, a friend got hit with $900 for air-con/refrigeration gas. I was suprised by the $400 figure quoted earlier in the thread. Apparently the same permit applies to one-off boat imports as it does to a container loads of appliances.

So, stop at Noumea, de-gas and get it documented then spend a few days with ice coolers!
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 00:15   #517

Boat: Able 50

I probably should have added that the best thing to do is check with the broker about rules for taxes on the sale of boats in that state. Offshore delivery is a common requirement even for used boats.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 00:30   #518
cruiser

My mates are air con mechanics. I am sure they can regas it. However I would like confirmation about this issue as once again there is conflicting info. I also have a document to go with the spreadsheet that has more details regarding each item in the spreadsheet.

Cheers.
Old 27-05-2011, 00:49   #519

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I was under the impression that Duty and GST weren't treated quite so kindly.
I thought the duty was levied as per your example spreadsheet, and then added on, then GST calculated on the whole lot. In effect a tax on a duty double dip.
I hope I'm wrong but can someone clarify?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 04:37   #520
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Vic - Its costs plus duty and then GST on the lot. So yep you are correct

From the Customs Web Site - Yachts are subject to a general rate of duty of 5% based on the customs value (basically the price paid) and 10% GST calculated on the customs value plus international transport and insurance plus the duty.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 06:06   #521
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I thought the duty was levied as per your example spreadsheet, and then added on, then GST calculated on the whole lot. In effect a tax on a duty double dip.
I hope I'm wrong but can someone clarify?

Vic
Yes, Oh Stinky One, Vic. You are clarified clear as a hump on a camel.

Duty of 5% first and then the bastards hit the GST so then get every last drop 'o blood.

BTW met some folks last night who bought on the BVI's and had to accomodate themselves for 1 month and $230 per night for the first few days at Moorings accomodation and then they moved: $180 per night for the rest of the time.
Is that factored in on the spreadsheet? My internet is too slack to download it.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 10:09   #522

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armagh View Post
Yes, a friend got hit with $900 for air-con/refrigeration gas. I was suprised by the $400 figure quoted earlier in the thread. Apparently the same permit applies to one-off boat imports as it does to a container loads of appliances.

So, stop at Noumea, de-gas and get it documented then spend a few days with ice coolers!
Bugger that, my fridge isn't worth it. Looks like someone in Noumea will get a free fridge.

Thanks for the heads up on that guys, I'm sure it too late once you get here to do anything but pay.
By the way how do you tel what refrigerant you have?
Or is it the old guilty until proven innocent rule?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 15:24   #523
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, Oh Stinky One, Vic. You are clarified clear as a hump on a camel.

Duty of 5% first and then the bastards hit the GST so then get every last drop 'o blood.

BTW met some folks last night who bought on the BVI's and had to accomodate themselves for 1 month and $230 per night for the first few days at Moorings accomodation and then they moved: $180 per night for the rest of the time.
Is that factored in on the spreadsheet? My internet is too slack to download it.

Mark
I will change the spreadsheet so the 10% GST comes off after duty is added. Plus add a column for accommodation. Why did it only take them one month not 3? I didn't add accommodation because 1: I think that it can be bargained into the sale (I mean if I buy an ex charter boat why would they mind if I stay on it, provided the broker has my funds and my deposit equals the amount it would cost to charter the boat anyway?). 2: I'd rather sleep in a tent than pay $200 a night. 3: I might buy in the US where I would sleep in a van I purchased. The US is seeming like a better place now with the 3 month period in the BVI. I purchase items from ebay from the US and the often come in a couple of days. Not 10 days like reported in the BVI.

I spoke my air con mate and he said it will be no prob to re gas almost any system with AU spec gas. So I would will de gas it and disconnect and tape over the lines in New Cal.

Dennis
Old 27-05-2011, 15:35   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I will change the spreadsheet so the 10% GST comes off after duty is added.

We seem to be mentioning this 5% import duty but the talk is about importing a boat from the US so the import duty doesn't apply AFAIK? Because of our free trade agreement?
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 16:25   #525

Boat: deboated

Quote:
Originally Posted by djambalawa View Post
We seem to be mentioning this 5% import duty but the talk is about importing a boat from the US so the import duty doesn't apply AFAIK? Because of our free trade agreement?

Free trade agreement only applies to US built stuff in this case boats. Catalina, Hunter etc and I seem to remember one of the French manufacturers having a production facility in the states at some point in time.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia