Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-05-2011, 01:44   #496

Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
I think it would be better if Customs had accepted the actual purchase price rather than the surveyor's Australian market valuation as boats are cheaper overseas and, therefore, less GST would be payable. Am I missing something?
My point is that YOU pay the surveyor and ask for a realistic (ie low) selling price to submit to customs. This should be for lower than the "pie in the sky" asking prices on used boats in Australia. This should be lower than what was paid overseas a couple of years ago.
At auctions, "the BS stops when the bidding starts". It's hard for the vested interests to "talk up the market" when no one will hold up their hand at a public auction. There were plenty of brokers watching the action (or lack thereof), so their valuation should reflect the market.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 01:57   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
but a perry 43 is usually worth at least a bid I would have thought?
At least there seemed to be a lot more interest in it than some of the big "sports cruiser" pose boats.
It's a solid boat that needs a tidy up and refit IMHO. In today's market buyers are wary of buying a boat, spending money to bring up to standard and being caught owing more than the boat is worth.
After going to auction, it's difficult to get more in a private sale than was bid. The owners of this cat have come up with a novel plan to guarantee $50,000 (in a lawyer's trust account) than nothing major will go wrong for a defined period of time after a sale. Top marks for innovation!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 02:10   #498

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

I never really thought about buying a used boat at a marine auction. From this post it sounds as though deals could be had (if people were willing to do some re-fit). Has anyone here purchased their boat from a marine auction in Australia? If so what kind of boat as it?
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 03:50   #499
Marine Service Provider

Can I ask what the bidding got to on the Perry?

There's an Azure in Melbourne I'm chasing at the moment, hasn't been used for years and is on the hardstand so will be interesting to compare.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 04:40   #500

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
I think it would be better if Customs had accepted the actual purchase price rather than the surveyor's Australian market valuation as boats are cheaper overseas and, therefore, less GST would be payable. Am I missing something?
Australian customs never assess on proven purchase price. Not enough $$$ that way.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 03:47   #501

Just joined, haven't lurked here long but have been on a different forum for a while. I have been searching Yachtworld for quite a while, hoping to choose a boat to import. I'm still torn between several different brands/style, but would like to check out the some other good sites.

I really appreciate the information in this thread that has been shared - Thanks folks!

Dragon Lady and others who know - which sites are best for searching Caribbean listings?
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 04:00   #502
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armagh View Post
Just joined, haven't lurked here long but have been on a different forum for a while. I have been searching Yachtworld for quite a while, hoping to choose a boat to import. I'm still torn between several different brands/style, but would like to check out the some other good sites.

I really appreciate the information in this thread that has been shared - Thanks folks!

Dragon Lady and others who know - which sites are best for searching Caribbean listings?
www.bviyachtsales.com
Also there's a lot of brokers to be found in here
Download The Current Issue of All At Sea

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 17:58   #503
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Also, I nearly forgot to mention my wife Ali is working on a little project. We did all of our customs paperwork (ok... she did, I supervised). It was completed 100% correctly to the surprise of customs, so we're going to post an online guide for people that prefer to DIY. You can save yourself the broker fees.

The paperwork was very confusing and full of BS, so the guide should be useful to anyone importing a boat to Australia. We'll also include tips on how to avoid extra fees, deal with quarantine, etc. There will be PDF's of our completed forms (which could almost be copied directly for the typical yacht import).

Our only agenda is that we want to help other cruisers who are importing, and also hopefully decrease the revenue stream of the authorities!
I am working on my own guide but I have never actually done it. Basically I am gathering information for my own knowledge so I know it all before I do it. I will show this to everyone and keep updating it to be as accurate as possible.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 18:04   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I am working on my own guide but I have never actually done it. Basically I am gathering information for my own knowledge so I know it all before I do it. I will show this to everyone and keep updating it to be as accurate as possible.

That would be awesome Trev/Dennis - let us know when its up!
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 18:13   #505

Boat: deboated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Why do it yourself apart from saving a few dollars maybe. As I pointed out previously customs are more likely to query boats being imported by owner rather than a customs broker who knows all the tricks of the trade. Do not take this personnaly but would not your time taken to do this excercise be more productify in another area. Have you looked into how much a customs broker would charge for the whole process? I am not a broker but the one I used made it so simple and the cost small in comparison to anything else I had to do regarding the boat.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 18:25   #506
cruiser

I have started compiling a list of relevant information I can find so I can post it all in one document for all so see on cruisers forums. I have read this whole thread plus many more. It has taken me over 8 hours of reading banter and off topic arguments to filter out incorrect and useless info. After all this I still have some important questions with conflicting info. It would be great if someone could clarify these before I show the first draft of the document. This summery will make it much easier for newbies to understand and reduce the amount of questions repeated on a daily basis.

Luxury tax? Is there a fee for this payable on top of the 10% GST and 5% duty when importing to Australia? When does it apply?
Sales tax? Does a foreigner have to pay US based sales tax when buying a boat in the US?

How long does is really take to gain Australian registration? I have heard 3 months. But also much shorter periods. I would like to hear first hand experiences on how long it took various people. I know it took MarkJ 3 months, but other are claiming much less. Dragon lady how long did it take you? Did you pay $500 in fedex fees to process documents?

Also. It appears a few people did not bother getting AU registration and they dealt with it once they got here. Others say this is dangerous or impossible. I would like to know how you can get around this legally.

Thanks.
Old 26-05-2011, 18:28   #507
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Why do it yourself apart from saving a few dollars maybe. As I pointed out previously customs are more likely to query boats being imported by owner rather than a customs broker who knows all the tricks of the trade. Do not take this personnaly but would not your time taken to do this excercise be more productify in another area. Have you looked into how much a customs broker would charge for the whole process? I am not a broker but the one I used made it so simple and the cost small in comparison to anything else I had to do regarding the boat.
I never even said I will do it all my self. This is a cost feasibility analysis. So one can make a decision if it is even worth doing in the first place with the funds they have available. My list if costs even includes the customs broker.
Old 26-05-2011, 18:36   #508

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
www.bviyachtsales.com
Also there's a lot of brokers to be found in here
Download The Current Issue of All At Sea
Thanks boatman, this will keep me busy for a while!
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 19:03   #509

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Try EYB site, also send out a boat wanted request, that's how I bought my boat.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 19:32   #510
cruiser

Here is a quick shot of a spread sheet I have made so far. It comes to 31K to import a 90K boat including 12K of improvements.

Tags
Australia