Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-05-2011, 17:06   #451

Boat: deboated
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I would be interested to know if dragonlady even wants to think about the full cost.

Personally I am happy with the ignorance is bliss approach after I have spent the money. When I move back to Aus some day, I will estimate the costs to see if bringing my boat is sensible, but once it is landed and everything is paid for, then I wont want to know.

I am curious to hear from dragonlady what the delivery crew is charging.
Not sure it would tell you much as they seem to be doing it long distance via chq book as I pointed out previously most do not employ delivery crews. Most would look to do it themselves by flying over purchasing the boat and sailing back. Having done it you will find the price varies considerably an example being diesel, how much light or non existent wind are you prepared to put up with before firing up the engine? How much time have you to do the trip? Are you going to anchor at all stops or use marinas? These all use up lots of dollars and can drasticly alter the costs involved. The biggest downer for me was lack of time to just enjoy the whole trip without looking at the calendar and clock each day.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 19:20   #452

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

I have a fixed price contract that incudes everthing except fuel and gas. It's based on mileage though it was a flat price for the cannal.
The cost is in USD so has gone down with favourable exchange rates of late.
I'm not prepared to post the cost because there seems to be a person on this thread with a rather negative attitude.
Let's just say at this stage my buisness plan is holding up and I'm happy with it but there is still a long way to go.
As for doing the delivery myself, I would love to do it and wish I could, but at this stage I can't afford it.
Maybe the next time, yes we are planning to bring another boat.
If you want to know how much it will cost for a delvery contact <mat@direct-yachts.com> I'm sure he would be happy to give you a quote.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 19:43   #453

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Actully, most crime here is disorganized except for prostitution and drugs which makes up 75%! There is a strong feeling in the US that if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them. This is quite a thread drift so best we discuss this (if you wish) in PM.
I am most comfortable in a rural or remote marine environment as is my partner who grew up in the Kimberlies. We both love the peace and tranquility of the outback and remote bays and harbours around the world. My comment previously was somewhat in jest, but I've been plagued with request to post firearms overseas.
Top of our list is to purchase a sound offshore vessel and we are torn between mono and multi at the moment. Not too worried about resale but looking for something suitable for the Southern Ocean capable of passages from Adelaide to Perth, up to Broome or Shark Bay and back around as far as 'Tassie' then up the east coast a bit. We've never had a multi hull but have done a lot of cruising on a Transpac 49 and a DeFever 54 from Alaska to southern Mexico... any thoughts? Hope the delivery of your new vessel is going well... Capt Phil
Getting somewhat OT. We had a buy back scheme many years back. The govt paid high prices for them and the bad guys who sold thiers made a profit. but it got rid of the guns. well most of them.

I would love to do the trip up the west coast to the kinmberlies and then around to darwin. I cant think of a better way to see that region..
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 20:05   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
I have a fixed price contract that incudes everthing except fuel and gas. It's based on mileage though it was a flat price for the cannal.
The cost is in USD so has gone down with favourable exchange rates of late.
I'm not prepared to post the cost because there seems to be a person on this thread with a rather negative attitude.
Let's just say at this stage my buisness plan is holding up and I'm happy with it but there is still a long way to go.
As for doing the delivery myself, I would love to do it and wish I could, but at this stage I can't afford it.
Maybe the next time, yes we are planning to bring another boat.
If you want to know how much it will cost for a delvery contact <mat@direct-yachts.com> I'm sure he would be happy to give you a quote.
Not negative just real life factual.
Old 13-05-2011, 21:19   #455

So what happened to your boat meyermm?
Are you going back to buy another one?
Perhaps a cat this time?
Old 13-05-2011, 21:50   #456
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Dragon - do you have insurance for the trip - is so who through and if its not a confidential issues approx cost, its one of the issues that has been of thought to me in these sort of deals. (there is a beautiful Chris White tri I wouldn't mind bringing back)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 22:50   #457

Hi Factor, yes I am insured for the trip with Pantaenius they are currently charging me 4% of "hull value" for the crossing, but that will drop to 0.72% when the boat arrives.
That is another interesting point for the critics, with my lack of ocean crossing experience I would not be able to get reasonably priced insurance.
Some may choose to go without insurance, but again I can't afford not to have insurance.
Old 13-05-2011, 22:54   #458

Quote:
So what happened to your boat meyermm?
Are you going back to buy another one?
Perhaps a cat this time?
The boat was sold in Brisbane which was the plan from the start. No I did not make a profit nor a loss but I had a nice break from day to day and it cost near to nothing. The cost of holding the boat at a marina once home was not in the plan. Yes I will do it again it was also a try and see how I liked it my wife stayed at home so it would have been much better with her and more time to explore the many stops along the way.
As for the cat comment no I will not buy a cat for many reasons.
1 Cost of maintenance two engines, two hulls etc
2 Marina fees much higher due to larger space needed for one boat
3 Initial high purchase price
4 In MY opinion they are not as safe in high seas off shore operation.
Further to item 4 having read of cat capsizes etc and the constant excuse of bad seamanship being blamed not the boat. I for one do not think anyone least of all me could guarantee not to be caught out at some stage so I would rather sail something that was a little more forgiving of pilot error.
I thought this thread was about importing a boat not a cat specificly into Australia I must of missed the bit about Cat. Its interesting how others not just me are getting a little tired of the Cat issue constantly being injected into every thread if possible as Factor found out recently and it was not my broadside that he felt.
I hope that answers all your questions DragonLady
Old 13-05-2011, 22:55   #459

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Not negative just real life factual.
So THAT'S what they call it !
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 22:56   #460

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I hesitate to ask another question or contribute to this thread for fear of being burned but I am curious as the the rough cost comparisons between shipping and delivery costs all up from US west coast to Oz. Costs of shipping for a 45-50 foot mono are about $40K but assuming reasonable wear and tear on the boat delivered on her own hull must be close to that if no canal transit is involved... does that sound about right? CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 23:15   #461

Quote:
The boat was sold in Brisbane which was the plan from the start. No I did not make a profit nor a loss but I had a nice break from day to day and it cost near to nothing. The cost of holding the boat at a marina once home was not in the plan. Yes I will do it again it was also a try and see how I liked it my wife stayed at home so it would have been much better with her and more time to explore the many stops along the way.
As for the cat comment no I will not buy a cat for many reasons.
1 Cost of maintenance two engines, two hulls etc
2 Marina fees much higher due to larger space needed for one boat
3 Initial high purchase price
4 In MY opinion they are not as safe in high seas off shore operation.
Further to item 4 having read of cat capsizes etc and the constant excuse of bad seamanship being blamed not the boat. I for one do not think anyone least of all me could guarantee not to be caught out at some stage so I would rather sail something that was a little more forgiving of pilot error.
I thought this thread was about importing a boat not a cat specificly into Australia I must of missed the bit about Cat. Its interesting how others not just me are getting a little tired of the Cat issue constantly being injected into every thread if possible as Factor found out recently and it was not my broadside that he felt.
I hope that answers all your questions DragonLady
That's great meyermm, nice when you can get cost neutral boat ownership.
Enjoy your next delivery I hope it goes well for you and your wife.
As for the cat thing each to their own, I too am sick of the bickering that goes on.
Old 13-05-2011, 23:18   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I hesitate to ask another question or contribute to this thread for fear of being burned but I am curious as the the rough cost comparisons between shipping and delivery costs all up from US west coast to Oz. Costs of shipping for a 45-50 foot mono are about $40K but assuming reasonable wear and tear on the boat delivered on her own hull must be close to that if no canal transit is involved... does that sound about right? CP
I would say delivery cost would be half the figure you mention.
Old 13-05-2011, 23:29   #463

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
That's great meyermm, nice when you can get cost neutral boat ownership.
Enjoy your next delivery I hope it goes well for you and your wife.
As for the cat thing each to their own, I too am sick of the bickering that goes on.
Some things apply equally to anything that floats.

Insurance, customs, Panama transit, delivery, taxes, sails, plumbing blah blah blah
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 23:33   #464

Quote:
While it is relevant to hear the experience of owners importing all type of boats into Australia, this thread is under the "multihull sailboats" section heading of the forum. Perhaps that's where you missed the bit about cats?
Most of the contributors to this part of the forum are open minded to monohulls, hell, I spend most of my sea time on them! However, if I regularly posted threads under the monohull section of a yachting forum pointing out the inherant shortcomings of mono (and there are plenty!) I'd reckon I'd be just looking for a fight!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 23:52   #465

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Thanks, DragonLady... that was about what I thought the difference might be. Need to weigh what the damage might be on a delivery on her own hull and what replacement of rigging, sails, mechanical, electronics might be sailing her across.
Not sure I'm still up to a Pacific crossing so have to factor in delivery crew costs as well allowing time for weather/mechanical delays... but great info nonetheless... many thanks, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia