Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 21:11   #436

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

All my Aussie 'Rellies' are ordering guns for me to ship to them from the US. Should I be worried about immigrating? I don't want to move to another SE Los Angeles... CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 21:28   #437

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Gun laws are pretty tight here, hand guns are very tightly controlled and semi autos are banned I think.
There is some organised crime here, but nowhere near what there is in the US and we like it that way.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 21:56   #438

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Actully, most crime here is disorganized except for prostitution and drugs which makes up 75%! There is a strong feeling in the US that if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them. This is quite a thread drift so best we discuss this (if you wish) in PM.
I am most comfortable in a rural or remote marine environment as is my partner who grew up in the Kimberlies. We both love the peace and tranquility of the outback and remote bays and harbours around the world. My comment previously was somewhat in jest, but I've been plagued with request to post firearms overseas.
Top of our list is to purchase a sound offshore vessel and we are torn between mono and multi at the moment. Not too worried about resale but looking for something suitable for the Southern Ocean capable of passages from Adelaide to Perth, up to Broome or Shark Bay and back around as far as 'Tassie' then up the east coast a bit. We've never had a multi hull but have done a lot of cruising on a Transpac 49 and a DeFever 54 from Alaska to southern Mexico... any thoughts? Hope the delivery of your new vessel is going well... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 22:05   #439
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
All my Aussie 'Rellies' are ordering guns for me to ship to them from the US. Should I be worried about immigrating? I don't want to move to another SE Los Angeles... CP
Hope they enjoy their time in jail.

Note - this is not a pro or anti gun statement - just a notation of the law here.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 00:19   #440
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Great, sing out if you need any advice.
Have you chosen a boat yet?
Thanks! It will depend on a few things if I will do it, but Nikki is keen. I will prob just scope out yachtworld before I go then spend a week or two just inspecting boats. It will be a mono and around $100K.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 00:48   #441

Top of our list is to purchase a sound offshore vessel and we are torn between mono and multi at the moment. Not too worried about resale but looking for something suitable for the Southern Ocean capable of passages from Adelaide to Perth, up to Broome or Shark Bay and back around as far as 'Tassie' then up the east coast a bit.

If you can afford it the cats are the way to go, but please don't start another Cat vs Mono debate.

You say Southern Ocean but presume you are talking about being just off the coast not down in the 50s or 60s.
Old 13-05-2011, 00:52   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Thanks! It will depend on a few things if I will do it, but Nikki is keen. I will prob just scope out yachtworld before I go then spend a week or two just inspecting boats. It will be a mono and around $100K.
where are you going?
The best deals appear to be in the Caribbean.
If you are looking at French boats the charter companies have the best deals because of the tax scheme the French gov has set up.
However if you are looking at US boats to get the duty discount the West coast may be better.
Old 13-05-2011, 02:02   #443
Marine Service Provider

We had a Binks 25 for many years... Not a bad machine but the Noelexes were always a little nicer.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 02:19   #444

Boat: deboated

If you can afford it the cats are the way to go, but please don't start another Cat vs Mono debate.
Then why say it?
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 03:46   #445
Marine Service Provider

It would be interesting to see someone like dragonlady posting all of the costs involved in importing the boat. None of these made up guesses where everyone says stuff like "$20k to rewire it for Australia" etc, but everything, like delivery, fuel, provisions, repairs, canal fees, inspections, import duty, gst, pest inspection, surveys etc.... I realise it's personal and wouldn't expect it, however it would certainly be an eye-opener. I used to do the same with my aircraft purchases... I can only imagine blowouts of a similar percentage.

Handguns are only permitted in Australia for pistol club members, unless you are in the northern territory, with the exception of police and security of course.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 03:54   #446

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

This was about the difference of the price of a Lagoon 410 in Spain and Sydney in 2006...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 05:25   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Handguns are only permitted in Australia for pistol club members, unless you are in the northern territory, with the exception of police and security of course.
As far as I'm aware its the same for in the Territory - I have heard of permits for jobs like those who get eggs from crocs nests but I think thats about it.

I don't know this 100% but was born here and been involved with hunting etc so I'm fairly sure without knowing the actual policy. Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong tho!
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 10:14   #448

Quote:
It would be interesting to see someone like dragonlady posting all of the costs involved in importing the boat. None of these made up guesses where everyone says stuff like "$20k to rewire it for Australia" etc, but everything, like delivery, fuel, provisions, repairs, canal fees, inspections, import duty, gst, pest inspection, surveys etc.... I realise it's personal and wouldn't expect it, however it would certainly be an eye-opener. I used to do the same with my aircraft purchases... I can only imagine blowouts of a similar percentage.
I would be interested to know if dragonlady even wants to think about the full cost.

Personally I am happy with the ignorance is bliss approach after I have spent the money. When I move back to Aus some day, I will estimate the costs to see if bringing my boat is sensible, but once it is landed and everything is paid for, then I wont want to know.

I am curious to hear from dragonlady what the delivery crew is charging.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 15:56   #449
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Firearms legislation is state based, there is no Australian law for possession - the only Australian as in commonwealth laws, relate to importation.

For example, here is the legislation for Qld

Weapons Act Qld 1990

- Again this is neither pro or anti gun, simply an important message regarding the actual legal framework.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 16:35   #450
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Thread drift...

This thread is about importing boats. Please keep it that way.

Illegal importation of firearms into Australia carries heavy penalties.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia