Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 19:41   #376

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Those who warned about the French authorities were dead right, what a pack of you know whats.
After stuffing us around for the last week or so they have now said they are too busy to clear my boat off the register and then they are all going on holidays for the Mardis gra for three days next week.
That blows it all out for another week, at least the Aussie authority is on stand by to send the rego when the French get their act together.
I'll never complain about the Australian public service again.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 20:24   #377

Boat: Able 50

Delays to your best laid plans are as much a part of owning a boat as cockroaches and bilgewater. Start getting used to it.

On second thoughts, pour yourself a beer plus a shot of your best rum and then get used to it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 21:38   #378

Yes patience is a virtue they say.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:31   #379

Quite so, which might well explain why all us cruisers are such a virtuous lot.
Old 08-03-2011, 16:45   #380

Boat: Westsail 33

Chin up Dragonlady. It will all be worth it. Maybe look at it as 'island time' although the French should know better.
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 16:48   #381
Marine Service Provider

I've started the process and am a bit behind dragonlady. The problem I have is dealing with the broker in the USA and the offer / contract process. Seems that offers from US Citizens come first. I submit my offer at night after being told that there are no offers on the boat and then when I get up in the morning I'm told that my offer is number 2. Seems a little unfair but is probably quite common.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:52   #382

Sounds like you are not being given the respect you deserve if you are making serious offers.
The US market is still very soft so don't be afraid to walk away.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:50   #383
Marine Service Provider

Serious offer, exactly, you can't get more serious than putting the offer in a contract that they provided.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:46   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Sounds like you are not being given the respect you deserve if you are making serious offers.
The US market is still very soft so don't be afraid to walk away.
Agreed.

Quit being a softie and start being a hardass because rejection comes with the turf so take it on the chin and move on. There are more cheap boats in Florida than either of us could count.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:39   #385

Boat: Seawind - 1160

Does it make sense for an Australian buyer to purchase a used cat in the US? I have a 2005 Sewind 1160 on the market (doublewidecat.com) and my price is about $75,000 less than the 1160's on the resale market in Australia. The difference would more than cover the cost to ship it down under.

Cam

"Double-Wide"
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:06   #386
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I've started the process and am a bit behind dragonlady. The problem I have is dealing with the broker in the USA and the offer / contract process. Seems that offers from US Citizens come first. I submit my offer at night after being told that there are no offers on the boat and then when I get up in the morning I'm told that my offer is number 2. Seems a little unfair but is probably quite common.
Dunno what you call it over there but here its called Inventive Gazumping.... basically you've offered less than asking price...
but the Brokers noticed the drool running down your chin everytime you see the boat or talk about it...
There's no other offer.. he's just yanking your chain to raise his 'Commission'...
Try an E-mail saying no worries, but... you've just seen another boat thats really nice and well equipped... so don't sweat if it sells... thanks for all the help...
See how fast he comes back...
Unless he's a CF member and read this...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 13:12   #387

Boat: deboated

Maybe the problem is you are not putting a deposit up with the offer which is the norm in US unlike Australia. Agree with Boatman61 unlikely to be any other offers the boat market is not that healthy.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 14:57   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Wide View Post
Does it make sense for an Australian buyer to purchase a used cat in the US? I have a 2005 Sewind 1160 on the market (doublewidecat.com) and my price is about $75,000 less than the 1160's on the resale market in Australia. The difference would more than cover the cost to ship it down under.

Cam

"Double-Wide"
Yes Double-Wide, it makes great sense for Australians to purchase overseas at the moment. This thread gives many examples of why this is so. The Australian domestic market seems to be slowly adjusting to reality, but a browse of catamarans listed on Yachtworld shows just how far our prices need to come down. A year or so ago, your boat would have been $150,000 less than the Australian ASKING price.
Good luck with your sale, quality boats of good design will always be the easiest to move
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 16:15   #389

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dunno what you call it over there but here its called Inventive Gazumping.... basically you've offered less than asking price...
but the Brokers noticed the drool running down your chin everytime you see the boat or talk about it...
There's no other offer.. he's just yanking your chain to raise his 'Commission'...
Try an E-mail saying no worries, but... you've just seen another boat thats really nice and well equipped... so don't sweat if it sells... thanks for all the help...
See how fast he comes back...
Unless he's a CF member and read this...
I was going to write something like this... but the Gopher gazumped me!

Call his bluff.
And if he really does have another offer, don't get into the bidding war he's trying to create. There's another one around the corner.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 13:51   #390

What's happening ausaviator are they still messing you about?

Does anyone know what's happening with Aussie shipping register?
They seemed to be all out of the office yesterday.

Tags
Australia