Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-02-2011, 19:00   #346

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Australians have been importing yachts from US, Caribean and Europe themselves for many many years. This is not some ground breaking adventure it seems to have become. Most do not have the money to pay for a delivery skipper nor want to anyway. Most do not want to broadcast there every move on the pretext of receiving advice, just get on with it
Yeah yeah whatever, why don't you go and troll somewhere else and leave this thread for people who don't know everything and want to find out what ever they can about bringing a boat into Australia.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 10:35   #347

Boat: Grainger cat
Interested

I'm interested in the Dragon Lady's reports, not the tough guy.
ocean_groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 03:35   #348

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 hull 157
Quote:
Australians have been importing yachts from US, Caribean and Europe themselves for many many years. This is not some ground breaking adventure it seems to have become. Most do not have the money to pay for a delivery skipper nor want to anyway. Most do not want to broadcast there every move on the pretext of receiving advice, just get on with it
I would like to thank Dragon Lady for the help he's given me in the exchange of information concerning the purchase/importation of a Caribbean Cat and suggest Meyermm piss off and leave us to it. Go bother somebody else.
bludden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 13:27   #349

Boat: deboated
Having an opinion is not a crime in a free society this is the second subject you have attacked me over the last one was because I dared not to share your opinion over the cause of a decline in cruisers visiting Australia. On the present subject it has been done to death. I would not be the first poster to suggest that just about anything you could think of was available by searching previous posts.
Have a great day to you to
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 13:57   #350

Further to my original comment VirtualVagabond of course you will be employing a delivery skipper and shopping in Paris on the way to the Caribean to inspect your next yacht purchase I presume??????
Old 20-02-2011, 15:24   #351
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Honestly
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 15:45   #352

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Further to my original comment VirtualVagabond of course you will be employing a delivery skipper and shopping in Paris on the way to the Caribean to inspect your next yacht purchase I presume??????
Sarcasm is a poor substitute for humour.

But let's call a truce here.
You obviously have a lot of experience and can make a valuable contribution. Your early posts in this thread regarding your experience of coming into Bunderberg, how costs were established etc, were very helpful.

Generally we probably have totally different outlooks, and that's ok.
For the record, I'm a shoestring sailor, so no hired skippers or trips to Paris. Going to find my next boat will be on frequent flyers, not earned by frequent flights.

The frustration is, whether it's intentional or not, you're coming across as so negative it makes it hard to brush that aside and tap into the practical points you're making.

You're right, this is a long thread and some issues are repeated a few times. But I see a forum as a combination of information and conversation. A bit like coffee shop.

New experiences come up, new people wander in, circumstances change, people voice their plans to get input, and it all gets discussed.

Some people you like, and some you don't particularly. But I guess that's life.

We obviously both like this 'coffee shop', even if we don't sit at the same table.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 21:52   #353

Boat: Westsail 33

Hi All,
thanks for all your interesting information. I too am currently exploring the possibility of a US purchase. As a newby I haven't had the opportunity to research all the threads and I suppose the latest info is the most relevant.

Just got home from a visit to the Custom Office here in 'Bundy', Queensland and met two very friendly and helpful ladies at Customs/Quarantine (they share the same office) just up from the Midtown marina.

So here is the basics:
  • "Yachts are subject to a general duty rate of 5% based on the customs value or 'CV' (basically the price paid).
  • And 10% G.S.T. calculated on 'CV' + 5% duty + international transport.
  • "Privately imported yachts are generally valued using the transaction method of valuation when purchased new or secons hand overseas." It was explained to me that Au Customs calculate the Au dollar value at the day of purchase.
  • An alternative method of valuation may be used if the yacht was constructed by owner,the yacht has been extensively modified since purchase, the purchaser and vendor are related parties and that relationship has influenced the purchase, or the original purchase price is to far removed in time. (ie time between purchase and import)
  • Alternative valuations are carried out by a marine surveyor which is based on market value plus customs duty plus gst.
  • Where the yacht is sailed to Australia overseas freight will be determined having regard to essential sailing costs incurred while the vessel is actually sailing the most commercially viable route. Where supported by sufficient evidence, essential sailing costs would also include- cost of maps,charts, pilot books etc; crew's hire/wages; victualling or food costs; bunkering or fuel/oil costs.
Of interest the Aust. Customs lady said the freight cost may be calculated from the last port of departure before arriving at Australia. I sought clarification and was told if Noumea was the last port then that would be where the freight is calculated from.

QUARANTINE Costs:

Pratique $330
plus
Detection costs for termites (dog) approx. $800 + travel and accomodation

If termites detected then fumigation with methyl bromide will be carried out by approved fumigators at a cost estimated to be over $5000for the average size boat ( whatever average means).

Note that the detector dog and fumigators are both in Brisbane so you will have to either clear in at Brisbane or pay for the people to come to Bundaberg.
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 23:28   #354

VirtualVagabond thanks for the low key reply regards my point of view. I also am not rolling in money like most cruisers. When some one asks advice which is how it started and then suddenly becomes an authority on the subject without completing the project yes I became a little skeptical. The shopping in France was the icing on the cake. We VV probably have more in common than you might think at this point in time.
Old 27-02-2011, 23:30   #355

If termites detected then fumigation with methyl bromide will be carried out by approved fumigators at a cost estimated to be over $5000for the average size boat ( whatever average means).

More likely on older style boats with lots of wood and yes it is a hazard that you will have to be concious of when importing. Another reason to go modern with your next purchase and do a MarkJ
Old 28-02-2011, 00:52   #356

Boat: Westsail 33

Quote:

More likely on older style boats with lots of wood and yes it is a hazard that you will have to be concious of when importing. Another reason to go modern with your next purchase and do a MarkJ
You are right in saying that. Those lovely older american boats with the great timber fitouts will probably draw closer attention. The AQIS/quarantine people will initially give the vessel a thorough visual inspection and may even use an electronic means of detecting activity within the wood itself. (I was told the name of the process but have forgotten )

It doesn't automatically mean the detector dog or methyl bromide, but if you plan for worst case scenario in budgeting for it......

Oh yes nearly forgot! Try to clear in during business hours, Monday to Friday or extra charges for weekend overtime of Gov't Customs/AQIS officials applu. Obviously personal safety at sea must take a priority as to arrival times, but if you are able to time it for Mon-Fri you will save money.
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 02:35   #357

Quote:
VirtualVagabond thanks for the low key reply regards my point of view. I also am not rolling in money like most cruisers. When some one asks advice which is how it started and then suddenly becomes an authority on the subject without completing the project yes I became a little skeptical. The shopping in France was the icing on the cake. We VV probably have more in common than you might think at this point in time.
That's right meyermm, most cruisers aren't rolling in money. But I'm not sure you mean't it that way. Dragon Lady said nothing about SHOPPING in Paris. Perhaps re-read his thread with green eyes open. Perhaps you should also research methods of getting to Martinique, the location of his prospective purchase. You might realise that via Paris is an economical, not an extravagant option of travel to this location.

Thanks to Dragon Lady and other contributors to this subject thread, I have found it informative.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 02:43   #358

Boat: Able 50

Correct.

CDG and Orly offer excellent air connections to all the French colonies. From other countries it can be quite hard. e.g. no one flies direct from anywhere in USA to Martinique yet Air Canada will take you direct from Montreal.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 03:06   #359

I have been following this thread for a while and and like you I have an opinion. When you suggest something based on personnal experience and that same advice has been expressed numerous times on other threads to do with yacht purchase and the reply is basicly that they know better it does tell you something. When you ask for advice it is smart to listen and not tell the contributer that they know better. To most on this forum buying a yacht is a large outlay that you do not want to get wrong. For many there life savings or a large part is on the line, sell the house car etc. Yes much of the info has been good and even though I have done it I am still hoping to pick up some short cuts or anything to make my next purchase run even smoother.
Old 02-03-2011, 15:34   #360

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

I don't know who went shopping in Paris but, for those who are interested getting to the Caribbean via Paris is the most direct and easiest way to get to the FWI where the cheap boats are.
I'm in St Martin at the moment and the size and amount of boats is mind blowing.
As for importing a boat, all I can say is I would do it again.
The Australian authorities have just emailed to say everything is ready to go with my rego, so thumbs up to them they are great people.
As for the French that's another matter but I'll get canned again if I say anything.
Thanks for the info about Bundy.
Please keep inputing to this great thread.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia