Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-01-2010, 04:02   #106

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
What, and miss out on the cruising ?

Quote:
we could get an owner's version for you, jpemb7, if you can wait till 2014!)
Thanks for the offer Wellington but we want to do the same thing as you, cruise the boat and sail back to Australia. It's all about the cruising, not buying the boat.
It's an interesting idea though.
No harm in advertising your offer.

Jim
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 04:31   #107

Boat: deboated
My advice would be based on first hand experience, do not expect to make a profit. Have the boat deregistered by broker as part of the deal from US Coast Guard. Using paper work supplied and agent in Aus. (friend or relative) apply to AMSA for Australian register before sailing. Yes there is some paper work to fill out but it is not that difficut. They will give you a registration number and you will have up to twelve months to complete the process. Customs prefer you to use a customs agent so on arrival in Aus or before line one up they are not expensive when total cost of the boat purchase etc is totalled up. Using a reputable boat broker in the USA will lessen the chance of customs disputing the purchase price. As for the GST what has been said is correct including the addition of your costs of sailing the boat here yourself. Quarantine will probably require a dog termite inspection which will set you back $1000. Only take it on for the sail not $$ as you will be disappointed with the result. Good luck
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 13:20   #108

meyermm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
They will give you a registration number and you will have up to twelve months to complete the process. Customs prefer you to use a customs agent so on arrival in Aus or before line one up they are not expensive when total cost of the boat purchase etc is totalled up. Using a reputable boat broker in the USA will lessen the chance of customs disputing the purchase price.
It would be great to hear some more details about your experience, problems you had and things you'd do differently. Things that worked for you.

Quote:
They will give you a registration number and you will have up to twelve months to complete the process.
I assume you mean the registration process, marking the boat etc.

Quote:
Customs prefer you to use a customs agent so on arrival in Aus or before line one up they are not expensive when total cost of the boat purchase etc is totalled up.
This sounds like an excellent idea anyway. How expensive was it ? What did they do ?

Quote:
Using a reputable boat broker in the USA will lessen the chance of customs disputing the purchase price.
My plan was to make an off on a boat from Oz. If accepted I would try and find a buyers broker or agent to represent me over there. To be honest I'm not sure about the best way to go about this.
What did you do ?

Jim
Old 14-01-2010, 13:58   #109

I purchased out of Mazatlan Mexico, Ray and Jeanette the brokers could not have done a better job. Plenty of after sales help and advice. They use a third party Pacific Maritime in Seattle who handle the money side and deregistration from US Coast Guard. If my memory is correct the agent at this end only charged $400 but may have been given a better rate through a contact. The initial contact was from Australia after seeing the boat on there web site including an offer subject to inspection etc.My best advice is take your time and do not go if you have time restraints as far as a return to Aus.
Mazatlan Marine Center SA De CV (Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico)
Old 14-01-2010, 14:28   #110
DtM

Great discussion

Thank you to you all for a very informative discussion.

I can confirm that AMSA is a very helpful place. Use the website or call them.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 14:51   #111

Boat: Tayana 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpemb7 View Post
You know I seem to recall other people mentioning this. I wonder if anyone out there has had experience clearing into Bundaberg ? If you have I'd love to hear about your experience.

We cleared into Brisbane, and we have friends who cleared in at Bundy. Both experiences were good. Professional, courteous officials who came to the boat to complete the procedures. Do expect to pay $330au for quarantine services. No getting around that. They accept credit cards!
FWIW, our (U.S.registered) 2006 Tayana 48, fully kitted-out for cruising, may go on the market here. PM if interested...
Good luck,
John
Old 14-01-2010, 15:39   #112

Quote:
I purchased out of Mazatlan Mexico, Ray and Jeanette the brokers could not have done a better job.
Did you organise a survey through the brokers also or were you able to find somebody independent ?

Quote:
My best advice is take your time and do not go if you have time restraints as far as a return to Aus.
This is the tough bit.
Once your offer was accepted, how did you organise yourself to go over and get the boat re:time/job/house/ family or were you primed and ready before you found your boat ?

Jim
Old 14-01-2010, 19:24   #113

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Is there any time issue to be considered between buying the boat and getting it to Aus? I'm thinking in terms of using the purchase contract paperwork as opposed to a more arbitrary valuation by the authorities here. (or any other time related factors)

Also, if you wander around the South Pacific for 3 years on the way here, how do they factor that into the cost of getting it here?
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 19:34   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
We had the boat for less than two year after the purchase. That made it easier and they could calculate the GST and duty from the price on the purchase-contract. 10% + 5%. If the boat is made in US and it still sails under US flag the duty is off.

The new owner, registered the boat by him self. We had given him our purchase contract, and he had his own purchasing contract. He had also our ships paper to show. Everything went smooth.

/Andreas
Andreas,
How long did you take to get to Australia from when you bought your boat? Did you do a fast delivery run or island hop along the way?

Also, did they build in an estimated delivery cost to add to your purchase price, to charge you duty and GST on?
Vic
Old 14-01-2010, 19:54   #115

I used one of two surveyors at the marina and yes they probably would like ongoing work so that could effect their survey. I feel in retrospect that the survey was done correctly and would be happy to use him again. As for the second part told the broker I was coming, we met at the airport and he arranged accomodation. Like I said previously they were very professional and before anyone jumps in they introduced me to the live aboard owner and said see you later for coffee. Even the owner was taken back as he expected him to stay but the comment was "you know your boat better than me" most brokers want the two sides as far apart as possible at all times.
Old 14-01-2010, 20:20   #116

VirtualVagabond

I haven't had any direct experience with this topic but I have investigated it including contacting customs on 2 occasions.
On both occasions I was told that if you brought the boat straight back to Australia say from 6 months to 1 year sailing, then the purchase price would be used to determine GST/import duty. However, if you cruised around for a few years, then too much time would have elapsed and a marine survey would be required to determine the boats landed value.
Therefore I was surprised when Andreas was able to use the purchase price after 2 years. This may have been because it was foreign registered, or because he used an import agent or in practise the rules are flexible or he was just lucky on the day.
In terms of GSt on delivery costs,insurance etc they use the most commercially viable costs. So, if the cost of delivery from the U.S to Australia by a paid crew was say $30 000 then you would be up for $3000 gst regardless of how much it actually cost you. But as before, in practice, it might be different.
I for one would like to hear from more people who have done it and some details of their experience.
Keep asking questions

Jim
Old 14-01-2010, 20:40   #117

Meyermm,
Thankyou for your generous replies. This is very helpful to me.
Old 14-01-2010, 21:47   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpemb7 View Post
I for one would like to hear from more people who have done it and some details of their experience.
Keep asking questions

Jim
Jim,
I've also been looking at the feasibility of doing something along these lines in the second half of this year, so I'm totally absorbed with this mine of information.
I'm not thinking of this as any kind of money making exercise, more just want to get the most bang for buck now, and don't want to lose when the time comes to sell some time in the future.
You've asked questions I hadn't even considered!
Vic
PS. I helped a mate sail his ferro sloop from Pittwater to Mooloolaba about 20 years ago. Turned out it was Alan Lucas's old boat, Tientos.
Old 15-01-2010, 00:11   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
PS. I helped a mate sail his ferro sloop from Pittwater to Mooloolaba about 20 years ago. Turned out it was Alan Lucas's old boat, Tientos.
Yeah, I remember reading his book "Just Cruising". He talks about sailing up the Qld coast and explains how to kill and skin goats. I wonder if anyone apart from him ever did that ?

Sounds as though you are going to get a boat overseas before me, so maybe you could keep us informed via this thread on how things go. I am going to try and do the same.

The whole GST/import duty thing is more complicated than you think but I believe the major costs have been discussed on this thread. What's left is just minor details which may increase or decrease the costs a bit.
For example,
1. You have to pay for any marine survey, so when you find a marine surveyor you might be able to negotiate a lower valuation for tax purposes.
2. You're supposed to pay GST on delivery costs, insurance, crews wages, port costs according to a commercial rate. How this plays out in reality I don't know but the cost is only minor compared to the overall purchase price. BTW this only comes into play if you use the purchase price for GST valuation.
3. A valuation by a marine surveyor assumes that these taxes are included. The valuation is landed value.(try and stay with me here )which means the price you would pay here in Australia. So they take away 15% (gst/import duty). Then they apply 15% again to this new lower figure and this is what you pay. Otherwise you would be taxed on a tax.

You can see why i stopped thinking about it. I don't think there are going to be any other major surprises. Touch wood.

None of the above will be a deal breaker for me. What will kill it is a weakening Australian dollar. And every cent the Aussie dollar improves is a cheaper boat.

Good luck and if you find out anything else let us know

Jim
Old 15-01-2010, 03:50   #120
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia
Sailing / Selling a cat in Australia in 2014

Quote:
[...] do not expect to make a profit.
When selling in Australia, we don't expect to make a profit, but simply try to reduce the cost of owning and sailing a cat from the West Indies (maintenance, upgrades, depreciation)

Everyone fears being stuck with a depreciating boat (+ marina costs + broker's fees, etc). We met a family in NZ who were ready to stop their circumnavigation, but went on for another year (sailing again to Fidji, Vanuatu and back) because they couldn't sell their boat. Sailing from the West Indies in 2011 with the assurance that our boat would sell quickly in Australia 3 years later would make our cruising even more relaxed and enjoyable.

Anyone interested in a geared-up 2006 40-46ft FP, Lagoon or Nautitech that we would "cruise-deliver" to Australia in 2014?
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia