Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-01-2013, 19:28   #991

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

There are about 80 Pacific Charts from the Galapagos westwards. None for Oz. They weigh probably about 5 kg, not really sure.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:59   #992

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Vic,

Here's my take on your query:

It seems likely that you won't be making that passage again for some years, if ever. So, buying expensive charts for your plotter is kinda wasteful of your cruising dollars. You already seem to have a computer (or two) on board, so the OpenCPN option will cost you nothing incrementally. That excellent program plus the readily available CM93 charts will be quite adequate for the trip. It is what we use by choice, BTW.

Both of the above methods assume that you will have paper backup charts and a separate GPS just in case of... whatever! And Jimbo's offer is a great way to have most of those charts at low cost (nice one, Jimbo).

HOpe that things are coming together for you guys!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-01-2013, 21:29   #993

Boat: Jarkan 10.5
Okay so what if you just sail into the Australian coast without letting customs or immigration know, slip into your local marina head to the registration office with a doggy reciept and get your boat registered for $350.... To easy and a lot less paperwork
bouncingyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 21:37   #994

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncingyellow View Post
Okay so what if you just sail into the Australian coast without letting customs or immigration know, slip into your local marina head to the registration office with a doggy reciept and get your boat registered for $350.... To easy and a lot less paperwork
Yeah. Yery likely. Been offshore?

Jimbo, how many times did you get overflown by Customs? Don't know anyone who does not.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 23:20   #995

Quote:
How about more paper work, Court time loss of boat, huge fines and whatever else they can throw at you or you in. Customs Know where and who you at all times,. Mid way between Noumea and Oz I felt it was nice for them to come so far out personally to say g'day.. once the first day then twice the 2nd.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 00:36   #996

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
"Too easy"?? Mate, you need a reality check! The Customs guys really do have the approaches to Oz zeroed in and you will NOT just ease into your marina with no notice. What you describe is a great way to meet new people... folks you might never have run into otherwise... folks with tattooed knuckles and very short hair.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-01-2013, 07:27   #997

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Yeah. Yery likely. Been offshore?

Jimbo, how many times did you get overflown by Customs? Don't know anyone who does not.

Cheers
Funnily enough, we didn't get buzzed by Customs aircraft on the way in. I don't know why not. Maybe they were trialling high altitude overflights so we didn't see them but they saw us? Who knows? I wouldn't count on it happening again. We had notified them of our ETA, last port, POB, etc by email before we left Fiji, so they knew we were coming and roughly knew our route.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 07:59   #998

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

They knew I was coming, But I didnt see any aircraft of any kind coming to OZ,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 08:18   #999
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

I got regular fly overs and calls from the Straits to just E of Broome.... got to quite look forward to them.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 13:52   #1000
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
They knew I was coming, But I didnt see any aircraft of any kind coming to OZ,
Ditto here, altho perhaps the OZ Customs aircraft were a bit put off (or our skyward visibility was materially reduced) by the fact that we came across the Tasman in winter, encountering 5 gales (at least!) as we did so right down to the gale that blew us into Sydney Harbour before dawn on a Public Holiday! Completing that tale, we then sat alongside Customs Headquarters at Neutral Bay until (~45mins later) a large contingent of Customs Officers and dogs turned up. All very courteous and professional though so all good.

We certainly encountered challenges from Customs aircraft along the OZ coast elsewhere though.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 14:35   #1001

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
There are about 80 Pacific Charts from the Galapagos westwards. None for Oz. They weigh probably about 5 kg, not really sure.
If that offer is still open I'd like to go ahead with it.
I'll send you a PM with address details etc, and thanks a ton

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 15:14   #1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Vic,

Here's my take on your query:

It seems likely that you won't be making that passage again for some years, if ever. So, buying expensive charts for your plotter is kinda wasteful of your cruising dollars. You already seem to have a computer (or two) on board, so the OpenCPN option will cost you nothing incrementally. That excellent program plus the readily available CM93 charts will be quite adequate for the trip. It is what we use by choice, BTW.

Both of the above methods assume that you will have paper backup charts and a separate GPS just in case of... whatever! And Jimbo's offer is a great way to have most of those charts at low cost (nice one, Jimbo).

HOpe that things are coming together for you guys!

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim,

Good to hear from you.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense. In the past I haven't got anywhere with trying to load OpenCPN onto my computer, but I'm going to have another go, and with the CM93 Charts I now know about and have access to thanks to members who've PMed me, all should be sweet.
You've got to love this forum!

The boat work continues. We've realised it's here to stay, perfection is a journey, not an attainable goal etc... We're pulling out all the stops to have the boat basically cruise ready by March. Loving living on the boat, wish it's butt was parked somewhere warmer!

Say Hi to Ann.
Vic

Old 05-02-2013, 06:56   #1003

I know this is probably a weird way of getting to the right members for what I'm looking for but it works, so far.

I'm trying to find insurance for the boat that will give cover, including the trip from the USA to Australia.
No problem with having cyclone/hurricane exclusions in their seasons. We intend excluding ourselves from them anyway

Who did others making the trip home use?

Thanks,
Vic

Old 05-02-2013, 14:27   #1004
Marine Service Provider

Give Trident in Perth a call, their name comes up on here frequently as being used and I had quite a decent quote from them myself a year back.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 15:06   #1005

I use this one, he is the broker for northern reef. I looked into it the best I could and found them to be spot on. I was surprised How many cruisers use them and have only heard good things except from one who tried to claim double the cost of his dissmasting in the pacific, and also tried to claim his time and claimed a new mast when he got a second hand one. They did pay out but at the correct weight. Here is a link Edward William

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia