Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-10-2011, 04:05   #961
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Nice work Alan. Good to see its all happening mate. I got a note from a failed delivery from US fedex. I think this will be my bills of sale etc. From then on I can register my boat as an AU ship.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 21:58   #962
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Was your decision to buy new in France rather than from the Australian importers in order to cruise on the delivery home, or was there a significant cost saving to be made?

The "ex-factory" prices advertised for Lagoons and Leopards seem very attractive compared with the asking prices for used boats in Australia. The catch may be the "add-ons" that may not have been mentioned such as commissioning, etc.
Yes my decision wasn't just based on cost. The delivery trip home will be part of the adventure. Cost is a bit under AU$300k launched. By the time I add delivery costs, safety gear and general onboard gear it willl be another 50k. Import into Australia will be another $50k in taxes.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 22:34   #963

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Congrats Monte, now there are 3 lagoon owners from the same little town.
A 380, my 440 and a 500 nearly a set.
Good move buying it over there, because i can tell you the Aus dist really could not care too much once the deals done as i have found out, buts that only my experience.
The boat show must have been really cool for cat shopping, did you see any other cats that might have tempted you not to go with the 380?

Regards Peter
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 23:08   #964
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

haha, actuallyyyyyy

i pretty much had in mind the 380 was the best value for me before I went. The boat show just confirmed that, although I was seriously considering the lagoon 400. But at around 70 grand more I decided the 380 was enough for my purpose. Maybe next time. I was considering the Leopard40 as well but wasn't overly impressed by it at the show.
Looking forward to the sail back around next April, but id be keen to get on the water before if anyone can use a crew
nice to have some summertime here too, keep an eye out for me kiting at posso's !
Old 29-10-2011, 03:24   #965

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Yes my decision wasn't just based on cost. The delivery trip home will be part of the adventure. Cost is a bit under AU$300k launched. By the time I add delivery costs, safety gear and general onboard gear it willl be another 50k. Import into Australia will be another $50k in taxes.
Look at the possibilty of parking your boat in the Pacific for a few years. You say that the tax bill will be 50k. It might be cheaper to fly to Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, New Zealand once or twice per year while you wait for the tax bill to depreciate.

It's not as if hanging out in the South Pacific is an ordeal.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 04:00   #966
Marine Service Provider

Monte, what is the going rate of the L38 direct from the dealers in OZ retail, or do they get them in only when a customer orders them?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 05:52   #967

Thanks Monte, I hope you enjoy the delivery cruise home from France.

Whilst cost wasn't your primary concern, I think you'll be ahead financially over buying the same boat from the Australian distributers. Depending on the boat specification and their willingness to negotiate I believe that they are quoting well over the $400 grand for a L380. As Savior says the $50K tax bill could be reduced by depreciating the boat for a season or two in the Pacific or Lankawi.

Either way your a winner, good onya!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 16:29   #968
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

thanks guys. I will keep you updated as things progress. and yes, the local dealers would be up for a similar landed cost so to make some $$ they need to charge another 10% or so, but keep in mind they are selling a new boat and when I return mine won't be new.
Old 29-10-2011, 17:22   #969

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

Just an update here:

In the middle of registering my boat in Australia while it is in Mexico. I had read Mark J's 3 months experience doing this... and was bummed at having to wait it out on a mooring.

I have found that it will take closer to 3 weeks. I sent my paperwork and application via UPS and it will arrive tomorrow (5 days total) In the mean time, I paid my money and *someone* at the AMSA let me know my official number early (since I had already paid via EFT) so I can get a head start on marking the boat. When they do get the paperwork, they are allowed to send the marking note electronically, so I should get that mid next week. Then it's a matter of signing the marking note proof paperwork and getting it witnessed and UPS'ing it back to Oz. maybe even more like 2 1/2 weeks total. Sweet.
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 17:28   #970

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I vaguely remember MarkJ having big delays with the French side, getting all the right papers or something, and then sending incomplete stuff and having to wait before being told he needed more.
Then is sits in someones 'incomplete' basket and takes time for the new stuff to get married up with the old. So I think his case was extreme.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 17:41   #971

Boat: Westsail 33

Apologies for going off on a tangent but I had another discussion with Australian quarantine and customs very recently and I was surprised by one of their answers. My surprise was more to do with the new information I wasn't aware of and I have posted it on my blog here Australian quarantine and customs problems for the unaware.Barnabas' Voyage
but here is a brief extract-

Here is the interesting thing for visiting foreign yacht owners. If you enter an Australian port and your vessel is for sale (ie. listed online for sale) the customs will charge the full import taxes at the local Australian valuation on top of any other entry charges.
So from this discussion I gathered that it is necessary for foreign visitors to remove their boats from any for sale listings before arrival. Keep any correspondence to your broker with these instructions to remove it, and any answers regarding it's 'for sale' status need to emphasise the boat is not for sale.

Hope it helps
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 18:30   #972
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Congratulations on your purchase Monte...and enjoy the sail back to OZ! If you need to engage any professional delivery crew -- Are you taking the whole voyage by yourself? -- we'd be happy to recommend the fellow we used. We sailed the whole voyage (from Italy, via the Panama Canal, taking advantage of the trade winds virtually all the way...and avoiding the pirates!) and the professionals on board was a real 'plus' for both the incredible, inherent learning opportunities and the benefit of their extensive maintenance experience on similar vessels.

Ausaviator, thanks for your tips on our Tassie voyage...which we only just noticed... We're now on the homeward leg, in Eden waiting out some storms on the NSW south coast. It was a great trip anyway, including using Cape Barren Island as our step-off point into Bass Strait northbound (after being belted by two gales on the southward Strait crossing!) although our view of Cape Barren Island (on Jamieson Bay, under the Cape Barren Light) left us with a saloon full of flies and wondering just how inhabitable that Island really was!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 14:25   #973

I know this is an old thread, but it has quite a few members who have sailed from Panama to Australia so I thought I'd be smart and tap into that particular group.

What chartplotter chips/maps did you use?

I have a Raymarine E80 and West Marine have told me the Navionics Gold electronic charts leave gaps on the way.

What is everyone else using?

Vic

Old 17-01-2013, 14:33   #974

Boat: Able 50

I used C Map but maybe Navionics is better. Given that I have never used it I have no idea.

savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 17:01   #975

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I used C Map but maybe Navionics is better. Given that I have never used it I have no idea.

What is C Map? Is it something you can use in a chartplotter or do you use it on a laptop?

Tags
Australia