Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-07-2011, 05:33   #571
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Just for clarification, do you have the link to the VicRoads website where they state there is no time limit.
And also, I would assume this would only apply to those who remain domiciled outside Vic.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 05:35   #572

Boat: Hunter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Tractorboy

This is not necessarily the case. Boats are exempt from requiring registration in the State of Victoria if they are registered in another State or Territory. There is no time limit. (Source: VicRoads website).
I'm going to correct myself! The following is extracted from the VicRoads website and lists boats exempt from registration:

a boat that is temporarily being operated on State waters
a boat that is is registered in another State or a Territory of the Commonwealth
displays in accordance with an Act or regulation of that State or Territory an identifying plate, mark or number issued or allocated by the relevant authority in that State or Territory for the boat
a boat that is temporarily being operated on State waters
a boat that is exempt from registration as a vessel in another State or a Territory of the Commonwealth in which the owner of the boat ordinarily resides

A boat that is temporarily being operated on State waters that is registered in another State or a Territory of the Commonwealth and is displaying an identifying plate, mark or number issued by the relevant authority in that State or Territory for the vessel is exempt from registration in Victoria.
A vessel that is temporarily being operated on State waters that is exempt from registration as a vessel in another State or a Territory of the Commonwealth in which the owner of the vessel ordinarily resides is also exempt.

That's all clear then!

Taken in isolation point 2 seems to exempt boats registered in other States, but the others refer to temporary operation.
Connected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 05:37   #573

Boat: Hunter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname
Just for clarification, do you have the link to the VicRoads website where they state there is no time limit.
And also, I would assume this would only apply to those who remain domiciled outside Vic.
Sure . .

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gistration.htm
Connected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 05:42   #574
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yep, that is more like I expected. Note that it gives the state plenty of wriggle room as to what constitutes "temporary"; that said, I have not met anyone who has had difficulty with this arrangement if they were genuine cruisers rather than someone trying a dodgy.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 08:00   #575

Boat: Able 50

That word " temporarily " would probably trip up anyone resident in Victoria. Temporarily ? Oh yes officer I'm just passing through.

If it's any help NSW calls " temporarily " 3 months or less. see section 50 Marine Safety Act
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 17:10   #576

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Mighty impressive thread drift guys.
Back on the original thread I have been advised to have all food stuffs in a plastic bag for surrender to customs when you arrive, I am also planing to spray the boat with insecticide before arrival and will fill the heads with bleach.
Is there any other procedures I should do?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 17:44   #577

Dragon Lady
Good luck, keep us informed. I've been in Noumea on business, but leaving this afternoon. Went for a stroll along the fingers in a marina yesterday - place is pretty full, and some very nice boats tied up.

I have been working with the Austrade rep here. I doubt that she will know as much about specific yacht import details as has been discussed here without making specific inquiries which could take a few days, but they would be a link for official representation if required. PM me for contact details if you want them.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 17:46   #578

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Back on the original thread I have been advised to have all food stuffs in a plastic bag for surrender to customs when you arrive, I am also planing to spray the boat with insecticide before arrival and will fill the heads with bleach.
G'Day DL,

IF there is any growth on the waterline, scrub it off if you can. AQIS often will forego their inspection of the bottom if the WL is clean.

Jim
Old 13-07-2011, 18:56   #579

Thanks Jim,

I was panning to do that just for performance but a good tip which I shall do.
I'm using a customs agent so I hope I have covered everything, but you can never be too prepared.
Old 13-07-2011, 18:59   #580

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Brush your teeth.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 19:00   #581
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
I have been advised to have all food stuffs in a plastic bag for surrender to customs when you arrive, I am also planing to spray the boat with insecticide before arrival and will fill the heads with bleach.
Not offering advice here(!)...but our experience with both Customs and Quarantine were quite civilised and relaxed...and quite inconsistent with your posted advice.

Although we were asked about what food was on board -- There wasn't much left after the long voyage! -- no food ended up being surrendered...and we certainly didn't spray with insecticide or fill the heads with bleach.

Perhaps the best 'tip' from our experience would be to ensure you follow all the required advanced notifications. In hindsight we suspect our really very easy entry to Australia was substantially the result of a lot of prior contact with Officers before we arrived.

Details (including log and photos) of our voyage can be found by Googling Floating Impressions for our Facebook page. The website with more information and contacts will follow soon.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 19:24   #582

Thanks D&D, I've already contacted the customs and advised them of our arrival details per the website.
Maybe the other stuff is over the top that was just stuff I'd been told.
It all depends on who you get for the interview I suppose.
Old 13-07-2011, 23:08   #583
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
our arrival details
When/where is your OZ ETA? Where is your vessel (Pourpre?) now? Are you on board?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 23:37   #584

Hi D&D, Pourpre is due into Noumea tonight, I hope to fly out to Noumea Saturday.
ETA in Bundaburg about the 22nd July.
Old 13-07-2011, 23:57   #585

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Dragon Lady

Did you see my post in this thread?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lia-63716.html

From my interpretation, I believe you only need calculate delivery costs from Noumea if you are onboard.

WHAT IS THE PLACE OF EXPORT?
The place of export can include:
where the goods are posted from

where the goods are packed in a container (as defined in the
Customs Convention on Containers)

the place, or last place, from which self-transported goods
departed for Australia

the place, or first place, the goods were placed on board a

ship or aircraft for export

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...s/commer02.pdf

Tags
Australia