Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-11-2010, 23:46   #271
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Hmmm.. what if a foriegn company owned it ? It would simply be visiting!

Although selling it may cause a later problem.

Oz
__________________

__________________
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 17:04   #272
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 16
Duel citizen bringing a boat into Aus

If an overseas boat visits Aus it is granted a temporary import permit with a time limitation after which the vessel must be either exported or duties etc paid and imported ( So first question - Am I correct about that ?)
So lets say a NZ citizen who lives here in Aus and holds an Australian passport ( not that uncommon ) buys a boat overseas and registers it as a NZ vessel - When he gets to Australia is he treated as a visiting boat or a returning Australian citizen importing a boat. If treated as an overseas boat it would buy a considerable amount of time to do the import process .
Would be very interested if anyone has experience of this or similar situation . This is all hypothetical of course.
__________________

__________________
kiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 17:07   #273
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Why not use your NZ passport to enter with?
__________________
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 17:13   #274
Registered User
 
Nauticatarcher's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mooloolaba, Qld
Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Posts: 396
If you hold NZ/Australian citizenship you are supposed to use Australian passport when entering Australia and vice a versa, so you are going to be classified as an an australian importing aboat , a phone call to customs should sort it out though
__________________
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 17:58   #275
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
would think if you were an australian tax payer and resident regardless of nationality vat is payable on arrival,with a grace period of 6months the vessel is placed in bond,untill import duties paid,as a qiwi the vessel would be on a temp import permit and have to leave aus waters after 12months possibly with an extra 6 month extention.

i delivered a vessel to bundaberg queensland in june this year for an aussie owner, bought in the usa.
the customs were very polite but the vessel was basically impounded and placed in bond un till payment of duties.
apart from having to inform aus customs and immigration of your arrival 2weeks before arrival found them to be very reasonable,but would not try to slip under the radar,basically what these guys want is the tax dollars you owe them for the priveledge of importing a foreign vessel into aussie waters
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 18:49   #276
Registered User
 
Dragon Lady's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Posts: 949
Hi, Bundaberg seems to be a popular entry port for boats crossing the pacific.
Is there any difference between entry ports that one should be aware of?
I’ve read of people having to get termite sniffer dogs transported into some locations?
Is there a rule regarding how much timber there can be on a boat before a dog is required?
I imagine nearly every boat has some timber in it.
__________________
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 19:06   #277
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mediterranean
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwa View Post
If an overseas boat visits Aus it is granted a temporary import permit with a time limitation after which the vessel must be either exported or duties etc paid and imported ( So first question - Am I correct about that ?)
So lets say a NZ citizen who lives here in Aus and holds an Australian passport ( not that uncommon ) buys a boat overseas and registers it as a NZ vessel - When he gets to Australia is he treated as a visiting boat or a returning Australian citizen importing a boat. If treated as an overseas boat it would buy a considerable amount of time to do the import process .
Would be very interested if anyone has experience of this or similar situation . This is all hypothetical of course.
If you are an Australian Citizen coming in with a boat you own, whether registered in NZ or Panama or anywhere then you will be immediately up for taxes. Hull duty and GST which is approximately 15%. If you are going to bring a boat in it has to be owned by a non Australian induividual or company and you are merely the skipper. Customs will then give you a mooring permit or cruising permit depending on what you tell them. This might let the boat to stay in Australia for a year or so tax free. Eventually the boat will have to go or pay tax.
__________________
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 19:16   #278
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
as far as i know the sniffer dog was from the dept of agriculture and quarantine and was mandatory for any thing being imported,boat or box made of wood or consisting of wood products.
thoughi belive for temp imported vessels it was dicressionary,also belive there have been boats quarerentined and hauled out for cleaning that had excessive growth on their hulls.
as an island they take contamination by non indigenous speices very seriously.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 19:27   #279
Registered User
 
Dragon Lady's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Posts: 949
Yeah, fair enough, I was just wondering if a GRP foam cored boat with timber laminate trim would require a sniffer dog.
It probably depends on the quarantine officer’s appraisal of the boat’s wood work and whether they deemed it to be a risk of infection.
__________________
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 19:46   #280
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Yeah, fair enough, I was just wondering if a GRP foam cored boat with timber laminate trim would require a sniffer dog.
It probably depends on the quarantine officer’s appraisal of the boat’s wood work and whether they deemed it to be a risk of infection.
Aqis will inspect the boat, and it is the inspectors recomemdation that is law. If the boat has less then 50% wood in its consturucrion, it may be given the OK ( newer production boats fit this). But if there is felt to be more than 50% or the inspector has some concern, then the dog has to be recommended. Also you will be asked to give a full history of the boat asthere are certain areas in the world where if the boat has spent some time in these danger zones the dog will be recommended. (Recommended means you have no choise)
__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 20:04   #281
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Boat: deboated
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
would think if you were an australian tax payer and resident regardless of nationality vat is payable on arrival,with a grace period of 6months the vessel is placed in bond,untill import duties paid,as a qiwi the vessel would be on a temp import permit and have to leave aus waters after 12months possibly with an extra 6 month extention.

i delivered a vessel to bundaberg queensland in june this year for an aussie owner, bought in the usa.
the customs were very polite but the vessel was basically impounded and placed in bond un till payment of duties.
apart from having to inform aus customs and immigration of your arrival 2weeks before arrival found them to be very reasonable,but would not try to slip under the radar,basically what these guys want is the tax dollars you owe them for the priveledge of importing a foreign vessel into aussie waters
Unless it changed recently it is 96hours (4 days) prior to arrival.
My advice is to use a customs agent which you line up prior to arrival as this will make your importation much smoother. Rightly or wrongly it is their preferred method as I mentioned on another thread and is not expensive.
__________________
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 20:29   #282
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
correct on the 96 hrs but most places are 6-8days sail away,which is fine if you have a sat phone,and are not put on hold........
also agree it is advisable to have a customs agent in advance
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 20:44   #283
Registered User
 
Dragon Lady's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Aqis will inspect the boat, and it is the inspectors recomemdation that is law. If the boat has less then 50% wood in its consturucrion, it may be given the OK ( newer production boats fit this). But if there is felt to be more than 50% or the inspector has some concern, then the dog has to be recommended. Also you will be asked to give a full history of the boat asthere are certain areas in the world where if the boat has spent some time in these danger zones the dog will be recommended. (Recommended means you have no choise)
That sounds generous, anyway the boat I'm looking at would have less than 5% so maybe I won't need to get a dog.
__________________
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 20:46   #284
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
the dogs dont only sniff out woodworm...........
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 21:09   #285
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Hmmm.. what if a foriegn company owned it ? It would simply be visiting!

Although selling it may cause a later problem.

Oz
They would ask you to prove the shareholding. You'll be OK as long as no shareholders are Australian citizens.
__________________

__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Australia

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importing a Boat From Canada To United States ssullivan Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 32 21-11-2017 10:14
Buying a US Boat and Importing to Canada KevinE General Sailing Forum 16 13-06-2013 17:30
Importing a Yacht from US to Australia neilrob Monohull Sailboats 51 13-09-2012 11:15
US Boat in Australia Wojo Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 15 21-01-2009 06:12
Importing a Boat to Thailand mikereed100 Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 9 30-12-2007 16:26



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.